Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ranks near the top of my tedious repairs. My daughter said she heard a clunk when slamming the rear door yesterday. Afterwords the window motor would run but no action. After removing the door panel and unmolested moisture barrier I found a handful of parts lying in the door bottom with a tangle of cables. Part of the cable guides tabs that secure it to the spool housing was snapped off and missing. I refit it and used really small screws to secure it to the housing, probably more secure than factory. Then came the head scratching, winding the spool with two from outside to in with the correct lift or drop cable, then squeezing it in the housing while retracting the cable tension spring. For reference the lift cable winds on the smooth side of the spool, the drop winds from the side that fits over the rotating nut. Amazing the tension when both are wrapped and fitted. Bottom retainer goes in the fixed hole first. I found manually lifting the window from inside the door compresses the drop cable spring far enough to then pull the lift cable into its respective slot. Took about 5 tries before I had it, but my fingers are complaining for the abuse. Then I had to put the retaining cover over the spool and knock the tabs back into their respective holes. All this was done with a flashlight in my mouth and my wife's cosmetic mirror.
I'm sure this would be a piece of cake with everything laying out in front of you.
It always heard a slight amount of play when raising or lowering, probably the first hints of trouble. Glad to say it works like new.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I feel your pain! One suggestion: get one of those camper's LED headlights that straps onto your head. Tremendous light output and all you have to do is look at what you want to see. Saves on the dental bills too. :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
minnesotaart said:
I feel your pain! One suggestion: get one of those camper's LED headlights that straps onto your head. Tremendous light output and all you have to do is look at what you want to see. Saves on the dental bills too. :D
:lol: Kind of takes the sport out of it though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
minnesotaart said:
Actually, it adds to the fun. This way you can curse! Flashlight in mouth with both hands in use...well, I suppose you could always fart or something. :wall:
:hyst: I only use that technique when I don't have a long breaker bar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts