Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need 225-65-17 winter tires but there are none here in the Ottawa area in Canada. Anyone seen some, what ever brand, new or used, we have a new law here and we need winter tires or it s a $274 fine. Just purchased a 08 limited but the dealer cant find tires.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Have the dealer search for 235/70R16 tires, which are a bit more popular and a lot cheaper. You may have to end up getting tires shipped in from the States.

Check your PMs, I may have a lead for you.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
stone said:
Hello blue-zoom. Are " Cooper Discoverer All Terrains? " suitable as a winter tire?
Nope. No all-terrains are suitable as a winter tire. Snow tire perhaps, but that's not all you encounter in the winter.

Some all-terrains even pass the mountain-snowflake winter tire test, but are less than ideal in our winters. Just ask the ambulance drivers in New Brunswick.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
hey blue im guessing that your in quebec eh, that law sure did shorten out the supply around here, i got lucky and got 2 tires for my wifes car in ottawa, but they are a real common size. i live about 5min from a bridge that goes to quebec.(im glad teh store there sells beer till 11) hehe

i have 4 toyo A/T mud and snows on my escape, and they work better then the snowflaked winters on the wifes car. on ice the tires dont do anything unless you have studs or chains, so get a copy of the law and read it yourself, dont let someone else interpret it for you. you might be allowed to have snow tires that dont have the flake or mountain on them.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
There is one case I know of where someone mentioned their A/T tires with no snowflake symbol passed requirements for Quebec's law. However I still maintain they are less than ideal unless you live in a rural area. A/T tires outperform winter tires in deep snow, but the rubber compound gets too hard and they have no ice abilities. Winter tires make a huge difference on ice, especially micro-grit and multi-cell tires. Some control is better than none.

With the same exact tire on our MDX and Escape, the heavier AWD MDX starts and stops better than the FWD Escape. I bet that you would get much better performance out of snow tires on the Escape than you currently get with A/Ts. You have more traction than I do in snow, but I would stop sooner than you do on ice, in slush, and on bare, cold pavement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts