Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the other week my car basically died and I could not go any faster than 40mph on a flat surface and 20mph on a hill. I couldnt rev higher than 3500 to 4000 rpm. I freaked out thinking I broke it and then last night had it towed to the stealership...this morning they called me to tell me they figured out what had happened. ......... Both cats were falling apart and cloging the rest of the muffler system. They told me to fix it, it would cost $1500!!!!!!!!! Is there ANY other way to get this fixed with out spening a ton of money I DONT have?!?!?!?!???? Do you think an exhaust shop would be able to fix it cheaper?? They said the front cat was a part of the exhaust manifold? That sounds like a retarded design to me...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
get your truck back. and replace the cats or "repair them". take them out and punch the insides out with a pipe.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
I think replacing the cats is his only option. Being that he lives in the People's Republic of California, they have very strict emissions testing that goes along with the yearly inspection. :cuss:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Yup, das ist true.

But if you have cats replaced, at least you can try to do what thieves are doing: take the old ones to a scrap yard for their platinum and get back at least some cash.

·
Registered
611 Posts
02escape said:
Ok, so the other week my car basically died and I could not go any faster than 40mph on a flat surface and 20mph on a hill. I couldnt rev higher than 3500 to 4000 rpm. I freaked out thinking I broke it and then last night had it towed to the stealership...this morning they called me to tell me they figured out what had happened. ......... Both cats were falling apart and cloging the rest of the muffler system. They told me to fix it, it would cost $1500!!!!!!!!! Is there ANY other way to get this fixed with out spening a ton of money I DONT have?!?!?!?!???? Do you think an exhaust shop would be able to fix it cheaper?? They said the front cat was a part of the exhaust manifold? That sounds like a retarded design to me...
The warranty, should be 8 years/80,000 miles. I'm pretty sure Ford extended it on the Escape. (due to failures) I'm still looking for it.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I think you're right. Emissions components are covered by federal (and some state) warranties.

For CA:

• Federal Emissions Warranty - Under the Federal Emissions Warranty, all emissions related parts are covered for 2 years or 24,000 miles*, with the catalytic converter and engine control unit (the computer) covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles*. These Federal Emissions Warranty provisions cover light-duty vehicles up to 8500 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).

• California Emissions Warranty - Under the California Emissions Warranty, vehicles certified for sale in California, and those states like Vermont that have adopted California Emissions Standards by law, have additional coverage beyond that required under Federal law. Under the California Emissions Warranty, all emissions related parts are covered for 3 years or 50,000 miles*, and a vehicle-specific list of more expensive emissions related parts is covered for 7 years or 70,000 miles*. In addition, the 8 year or 80,000 mile* coverage for the catalytic converter and engine control unit required by Federal law also applies. Also, some 2003 and later models, certified as California Partial Zero Emission Vehicles
(PZEV), have 15 year or 150,000 mile* emissions warranties essentially covering any component that causes the Check Engine Light to illuminate. These California Emissions Warranty provisions cover vehicles up to 14,000 pounds GVWR.

Take that to the stealership and ask them why they tried to charge you for it.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
PK and JP are right, major emmisions components (like cats and PMC) are covered by FED law for 8 yrs 80,000 and the dealer knows this. If they tried to pass the cost to you they are ripping you off. It still amazes me the nature of these human beings. :taz:

What's you mileage?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, I bought it used. Second, i'm at 81K miles.

Also, I talked with a guy I know and I MIGHT be able to get the parts cheaper than most Ford employees.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
It does not matter if you bought it used for the FED required warranty covers you. When did you first start to notice the problem? If it was a few weeks ago when you were at lets say 79k mile and it finally got so bad you had to get it fixed then you still have a good arguement. You need to talk with the service manager and maybe even the local ford rep. Take your father with you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Surfscape said:
It does not matter if you bought it used for the FED required warranty covers you. When did you first start to notice the problem? If it was a few weeks ago when you were at lets say 79k mile and it finally got so bad you had to get it fixed then you still have a good arguement. You need to talk with the service manager and maybe even the local ford rep. Take your father with you.
I stopped driving it once it started, because once it started I couldnt safely drive it on the road. I de-constructed the events that transpired to this event:

1.) The misfire was letting excess unburnt fuel get to the cats.
2.) It has been running rich letting even more through.
3.) The cats have been much hotter than they should have been because getting showerd with fuel.
4.) My going off roading and hitting mud/water holes started to weaken them.
5.) I cleaned my engine when it was still warm/hot and that was the final straw, they crumbled after that.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Cats fail due to contamination. A misfire will do this over a prologed time USUALLY not from one time. Wash the engine and letting the coil packs get wet is definately a potentail cause for misfire. Did you have the check engine light on ever?

The PMC would ensure the engine was not running rich (within the adjustment perameters) but it can't overcome a bad coil.

Sounds like you have already decided to replace and in California that is your only option. Have you check junk yards? You can look inside the cats and see if they are bad. It is pretty obvious (I know) :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The misfire has been an on going problem for a while. About half the time i've owned the car. Also, the junk yards near me, there is never newer cars like the Escape in them. I would have to drive way far to get to one of those. I think I am going to be able to just FIX the car for around 600-700 $$

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Then make sure you shop your used cats around to the scrap yards. You could get some $$$ back for them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just another excuse to buy some magnaflow hi-flow cats!
:)P

·
Registered
467 Posts
i had the same issue with the windstar i had before my escape... was at 120,000 km so under the catalytic converter warranty and they replaced the entire exhaust as debris have gone into mufler and resonator...
total cost of the repair? 2600$cad.

at that time, the exhaust worth more than the vehicle itself.. mwahahaha!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts