Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am fairly new to Escape-City but have been reading for a few weeks and have decided to install a new radio into my 08 Escape. After seeing positive feedback about the Alpine iDA-X305S, I bought one. I am installing it myself, but I am having big issues so far. I have tried to follow what everyone has said to do, but cannot for the life of me get this radio to power on. What could I be doing wrong?

So far, I have bought the radio, a metra wiring harness, mounting kit, and most recently a PAC OEM-FRD24. I have everything connected properly and all cables connected as well. But this unit is refusing to power on. The only cables I have not connected are the Orange (Dimmer), Solid Blue (Power Antenna), and anything for an amp. Am I supposed to connect the orange and blue cables? I do not have an amp, does that matter, or will this unit only work with an amp connected? Also, the ends on the orange and blue cables are slightly different than the other cables and I am unsure how to connect them properly, if thats even the case. Is there something Im missing? Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The first thing I would check is to be sure the unit itself is not defective. Have you simply hooked up the power wires directly to a 12 volt source to see if the unit works? If after applying 12 volts to the power and ignition lines and the unit does not power up, get a replacement HU. The dimmer wire is used to dim your HU display and lights when you turn on your parking/head lights, so yeah, I probably would hook up this wire. But troubleshoot your HU first. If your HU turns on, you may have an incorrect harness or wire that came loose somewhere.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You have to do 1 of 2 things. 1 get the yellow wire (12v constant) and use that for your 12v switched. However this means that you have to turn off and on the HU everytime. Or 2 find a 12v switched by probing around and finding a place that turns on and off when the ignition is used. You dont have to connect the dimmer as the most likey is that HU wont even recognize it (in a manner if speaking) and most new HU and a auto dimmer or a dimmer setting. ANd you dont have to hook up the power anteena either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Strejcek said:
Have you simply hooked up the power wires directly to a 12 volt source to see if the unit works?
I have not done this. The only hooking up I have done is connecting the wires that came with the harness of the HU and the actual wiring harness. I have both the yellow and red wires connected to their corresponding colors. Where else could I plug these wires to make sure the actual unit works? (Im a little new to this)

oskerb said:
You have to do 1 of 2 things. 1 get the yellow wire (12v constant) and use that for your 12v switched.
I only connected the yellow wire to the corresponding yellow wire in the harness. Instead of doing that, where exactly would I connect it to? ex. a different wire or run it in an entire different direction?

oskerb said:
Or 2 find a 12v switched by probing around and finding a place that turns on and off when the ignition is used.
With this option, do you mean connecting this wire (yellow?) to something entirely different? And what would that be and how could I find it?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the questions .. I really dont want to give up and take it somewhere and have them install it but it seems like that may be my option left since Im not very knowledgeable about cars.

·
Registered
836 Posts
With the new HU in your hand (or a helper's hand), physically put the red and yellow wires on the battery terminal positive (red) and the put the black wire on the battery negative terminal (black). If the HU powers up, then the issue is the PAC harness and wire selection. If the HU does not power up then the HU is bad.

In looking at the PAC kit, I don't know if that is the correct one for the HU. It looks like a special kit. The PAC harness usually has bare colored wires coming off of it for power, ground, speakers, etc. It looks like that PAC unit has only the blue turn on wire and the rest are RCA-type plugs. it lists as an "Amplifier Integration" which to me does not look like a HU harness at all.

Check out the available items: http://www.pac-audio.com/productSearch. ... &YearId=19

Not 100% positive, but I think this is the one you need: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails ... egoryID=26

A real quick help is calling crutchfield with your model and stock unit set-up (stock unit, navigation, premium, etc) and let see if the PAC piece you have is the correct one.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Ok you connected the yellow to the corresponding wire. And I am gonna guess you did the same for the red wire.?.? Well that yellow is the 12v constant and the red is the 12v switched. Your gonna have to tap into the 12v constant and give a lead into the 12v switches line.

Now you say you have a PAC, I havent dealt with a PAC before so I am advising you with NO PAC in mind. I am sure since you questioned my anwser the PAC is after two red and yellow junction.

------yellow from HU harness------- yellow from wiring harness
------red from HU harness------------red from wiring harness

eliminate the red from HU and split the yellow to the yellow and red wiring harness

------yellow from HU harness====yellow/ red from wiring harness

If all else fails then you have a dead HU and mentioned

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am working late tonight so I wont be able to do anything until the morning, but I will defintely test my HU tomorrow. I guess its my fault for buying the wrong PAC adaptor and will have to return it and order the correct one. I should have looked closer at the different models. I am a little intimidated about splicing into the cables, so I may just wait on the adaptor. It looks like I'll need an antenna adaptor as well for my HU. Hopefully I can find the right one of those since I seem to keep having bad luck with this whole process :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just tried powering up the unit and had no success. I took the red and yellow wires and connected them to the red (+) of the battery and the black to the negative side and nothing happened. I did see sparks coming off the battery when I had everything connected so I know power was running through and I had my key in the ignition, but only in the on position and not with the engine running. I did talk to a mechanic friend and he agreed to help me with the wires. I guess I will contact the seller of the HU and see what they say and try again one last time tomorrow with the friend and see if he has any success, if not, then I guess its time to swap out the unit for a replacement!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my new HU today and will be meeting up with my mechanic friend sometime this weekend.. heres hoping I can actually get this thing installed! Stay tuned and thanks again for the advice everyone! :kneel:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got around to working on my car again, and I think Im done trying at this point. I ordered a PAC adaptor (C2R-FRD1) and it arrived today. I took off my old harness and connected all the wires to this one. I took out my factory radio and plugged everything in where it should be. Still nothing. What am I doing wrong now?

I did notice my dash said "DVD" and I took a picture of it:

What could that possibly mean? The only thing I can think of that may be "different" is with the ground cable, my mechanic friend who helped me with the wiring clipped off the fork (is that the right word for it?) at the end of the black cable and just tied it in with the rest of the harness.

I also took a picture of my connections:

The one on the far right did not plug into anything (I do not have an amp), but Im about to lose it since I cannot figure this out.

- Edit: Photobucket is not showing my resizing of images, just another thing to go wrong today :(

·
Registered
836 Posts
So you don't have any power to the HU? Once you unplug the connection from the HU to the dash display (the one that is on the right of the stock HU) the top display reads DVD. You lose the function of that display for radio information such as channel, song etc. DVD is all it will say.

If you don't have power to the HU check the ACC Power and the 12+ Power wires in the HU. You only need 2 plugs - One is a 12 pin I think and the other is like a 24 pin plug. The 3rd plug in the harness is probably for stock amps and is not used. Check the wiring and make sure that the ACC and +12v plug into the vehicle harness and actually match up to a wire on the vehicle side. Pull out the harness manual and locate the Accessory and +12c (battery) wiring colors. with the harness plugged in verify that those colored wires actually match up to wiring on the vehicle side.

Also I recommend NOT grounding the HU through the harness chain. Directly mount the HU ground to the vehicle chassis. When you remove the unit, look in the center opening and look on the right side. There is a welded bolt that has a nut that is easily acceptable. I used that for all of my ground locations. I don't trust that the harness gets a good ground. In fact, owning a Pioneer unit, I double grounded the HU to that location. I attaattached the HU, relays and the Sirius receiver to that same ground.

See it in this picture on the right hand side, a few inches behind the front face:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need to find a substitute now for my grounding connection. I was a bit worried about that. I do know of the bolt you are talking about and that is what I originally planned on grounding my wire to until my friend stepped in and told me it didnt really matter. Off on a scavenger hunt to find a piece.. or maybe I'll just go to the Napa store up the road real quick ... I should have an update in about 20 min!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'll post another one once its all installed .. but does anyone need 19 1/4'' pvc rings? Napa only sold them in quantities and I only needed one .. :thumb:

All done!

Now time to read the manual .. thanks for all the help!! :beer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts