Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats good everybody.. I'm a new member here but I got a rare problem with about one of my foglights. Well its not the foglight, its the housing where the foglight sits in. My left side foglight housing is broken and the only way for my foglight to not fall out is to put it upside down. I dont know what happen but the problem was there before I bought the car over a year ago. It just happen that I didnt catch it and now I have to figure out how to mount it back correctly. I just did the foglight mod and it looks great with having foglight and driving lights on but it doesnt look right having one foglight shining upwards in the air upside down. Do anyone know a place that I can get a new part or is there any way the part can be fixed? Im thinking Ford is the only place to find such a rare part but Im wondering can anything be done to fix the housing. Thanks and a nice job on the rides

Upside Down light

A piece of the foglight housing

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Try the J/Y if you like, but I don't think in this case it will save you much even if they do have the part. My guess is what you said, go to the dealer parts dept.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Post here with your request and our good friend Torrie can give you an idea how much it would cost to replace. Otherwise...you could always try to do a little plastic welding with a soldering iron...but I heard that takes some unique skill, great deal of patience, and atleast a 12-pack

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Orrr that works too...

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Or for some real "engineering":

Not sure exactly the extent of the breakage, but I have salvaged such assemblies this way.

Sometimes you can drill a hole down away from the damaged areas on either side of a broken pieces and tie wrap the pieces together. Even tie wrap around the light and mounts as good tie wraps are heat resistant. Maybe JB weld to fill / oversized washer in that broken out bolt hole area.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Try PVC cement, but put a small drop of it on a flat part of the bracket first. When the drop is dry, try to remove it with your fingernal. If it will not come off, that's how you should fix the bracket.

PVC cement actually "melts" itself into some plastics, PVC, and polystyrene, so the "weld" is as strong as the plastic itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive decided to do what Scott had said.. Duck Tape. Works just like nothing happen.. almost. The headlight looks like it is leaning upwards, blinding other drivers when passing by. I can fix that if I can just access the foglight from the back while its on the inside of its hole. Do anyone know how to take the back cover off of the foglight area?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
jj198806 said:
Ive decided to do what Scott had said.. Duck Tape. Works just like nothing happen.. almost. The headlight looks like it is leaning upwards, blinding other drivers when passing by. I can fix that if I can just access the foglight from the back while its on the inside of its hole. Do anyone know how to take the back cover off of the foglight area?
Now you don't have to ....

You know how it goes

:bill:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
jpark said:
Try PVC cement, but put a small drop of it on a flat part of the bracket first. When the drop is dry, try to remove it with your fingernal. If it will not come off, that's how you should fix the bracket.

PVC cement actually "melts" itself into some plastics, PVC, and polystyrene, so the "weld" is as strong as the plastic itself.
thats what i would do. or i would plastic weld it. i used my soldering gun on a washer fluid bottle on an old chev i had, and it never leaked a drop the entire time i owned it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts