Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many different filters need to be replaced. At O'Reilly he said there is only one filter under the hood to be replaced, but I read about two.

There is the one in the back that is the high voltage filter replacement

There is the one under the hood close to the battery that needs to be replaced. It is rectangular in shape.

Then there is the one under the passenger side cowl, which is the cabin filter correct?

So when I took off the cowl there was no filter there at all.

They are all dirty so I want to replace all of them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Well I beleive you have the hybrid. (1)So there is one for the battery area (not to familiar with) (2)Theres the air intake filter near battery (3) The cowl filter for the air vent A/C Out of the factory I have never seen one with a filter there so when you took the cowl off your are correct to find nothing. Your are being proactive in replacing them all.

davids2005 said:
How many different filters need to be replaced. At O'Reilly he said there is only one filter under the hood to be replaced, but I read about two.

There is the one under the hood close to the battery that needs to be replaced. It is rectangular in shape.

Then there is the one under the passenger side cowl, which is the cabin filter correct?

Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oskerb said:
Well I beleive you have the hybrid. (1)So there is one for the battery area (not to familiar with) (2)Theres the air intake filter near battery (3) The cowl filter for the air vent A/C Out of the factory I have never seen one with a filter there so when you took the cowl off your are correct to find nothing. Your are being proactive in replacing them all.

davids2005 said:

Thanks.
Thanks for the info. Since there was not one under the cowl, do I need to get one or is it ok to not have one?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Well it is good to have one on there if you use the VENT option, which is the outside air being vented into the cabin. As opposed to the MAX AIR that recycles air. However, when you use defrost the outside air is used. So its good to have that filter. I have one for that reason and I use MAX AIR all the time (when appropriate)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oskerb said:
Well it is good to have one on there if you use the VENT option, which is the outside air being vented into the cabin. As opposed to the MAX AIR that recycles air. However, when you use defrost the outside air is used. So its good to have that filter. I have one for that reason and I use MAX AIR all the time (when appropriate)
Thanks for the info. If it is important why do most vehicles not have one from what I have read?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got all the filters today. I will put them in two of them tonight since they are easy. My question is the one that goes under the cowl seems to be very long. Does it just sit in there as I seem to have like a square spot where it looks like something fits in there, but the filter I got is about a foot long and about 6 inches wide or so.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got them all replaced. I thought the one I had for under the cowl was the wrong size, but fit with no issues. It was weird as the instructions I got for the battery filter said to put it under the wiper cowl on the pasenger side.

I have a question as to why they do not include one under the cowl?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Glad you got them replaced.

I don't know why they don't include the cabin filter from the factory. They never have. Probably a cost cutting measure. My dealer would always tell me I needed it changed and then tell me it cost $85. That's crazy. I just go to AutoZone and pick up a compatible engine air filter from Purolator (A20070) or Fram (CA4303) for $8 and put it in myself. These fit earlier models 01-06. Ford changed the design in 07 or 08... I forget which. I'm not sure if it is the same for the Hybrid models either. The thing about these filters is they are designed for the engine. They don't have the carbon in them that the air cabin filters have to filter out odors. They are just good for dust & debris...

Just curious... did you get the Bosch filter that you linked to? That looks like the right part to me...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RobtRoma said:

I don't know why they don't include the cabin filter from the factory. They never have. Probably a cost cutting measure. My dealer would always tell me I needed it changed and then tell me it cost $85. That's crazy. I just go to AutoZone and pick up a compatible engine air filter from Purolator (A20070) or Fram (CA4303) for $8 and put it in myself. These fit earlier models 01-06. Ford changed the design in 07 or 08... I forget which. I'm not sure if it is the same for the Hybrid models either. The thing about these filters is they are designed for the engine. They don't have the carbon in them that the air cabin filters have to filter out odors. They are just good for dust & debris...

Just curious... did you get the Bosch filter that you linked to? That looks like the right part to me...
I have a friend at work whose husband works at OReily. He got me hooked up with the right parts. It was the house brand that I got. Got all three which included the K&N Filter for 60.00. Seemed a pretty good deal to me.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
RobtRoma said:

You want carbon in your filter? Go to Wally World and buy the replacement carbon filter for the kitty litter box. If it can kill the smell from cat urine, it'll take care of any other smell in the air. Good part is, they are made of foam. :thumb:

·
Registered
288 Posts
RobtRoma said:
You want carbon in your filter? Go to Wally World and buy the replacement carbon filter for the kitty litter box. If it can kill the smell from cat urine, it'll take care of any other smell in the air. Good part is, they are made of foam. :thumb:
What is a carbon filter for a kitty litter box?? Got a picture of that? Ya got me curious now! :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I bought a Fram cabin filter that supposedly would fit my 07 escape but it didnt, so i returned it and bought a large carbon furnace filter that wallyworld had onsale for only $1 and cut it to fit (ended up making 2 of them from the same big filter)...works perfectly :yes:

no more dusty dash! :D

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
fotojack said:
RobtRoma said:
What is a carbon filter for a kitty litter box?? Got a picture of that? Ya got me curious now! :)
It's not my statement but I know what he's talking about. Some covered litterboxes have vents on top like this one:

They have thin carbon filters for these vents. I figure larger ones can be trimmed to fit...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts