Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the story .. I purchase an 02 Ford Escape 3.0L with a rod knocking 120k miles.went to local salvage yard and picked up an engine with roughly same mileage. clean inside and out. did the swap. last weekend and got it running saturday night . ran great warmed up nicely and did not overheat had no leaks of any kind. let it sit overnight and installed hood and recharge a/c system then told the wife to take for test drive. came back with bad news .has lack of power hesitating misfireing in overdrive. pulled front left spark plug found BOSCH PLATUIM .. replaced with motorcraft platuim.reassembled with new intake gasket and started up . now running worse the it was before.missing hard at idle. running very rough. had no checked engine light until now. getting code P0141 and P0161 . O2 heater circuit. Cant get any other codes to come up unless i start unpluging sensors. but O2 code is first to come back up .. I have replaced O2 sensor on the aft side of the engine and still no change. replaced spark plugs again with autolite platuim and greased up plug boots helped but still rough and no power. change iac valve and throttle body .change upper and lower intake gaskets again . tested fuel pressure 65 psi.before regulater. ran compression on engine front three
cylinder A=130psi,cylinder B thru F @ 150psi should not cause that much of a rought idle. also when i hook up the OBD code reader i get a unable to connect two or three times before connecting and giving me that O2 code. Im just looking to so advice on the matter and i am not haveing any luck at this moment im running out of options and may have to return the engine to salvage yard on warranty claim if i can't get this issue taken care of. I was thinking of replaceing the pcm but dont really want to waste another $75. dollars. one other thing is after running truck today in reverse at about 1500 rpms the exhaust begain to glow red so i know thats prosbably an lean fuel issue?? Thanks in advance and I will be posting solution as soon as its solved.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It would appear that you've opened the proverbial can of worms. All the common stuff comes to mind. Misfire with the coils for a long period of time which in turn clogs the cats. That and/or a bad O2 sensor. I would go the cheapest route first, disconnect the exhaust first and see if it helps. If so, replace the O2 sensor and reconnect exhaust and see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
How far down the exhaust does the red hot exsist? Im sure the red hot exhaust is throwing the O2 code.(could be clogged cat as stated above) So it was running for a while then starting running roughly....Could be injectors... Perhaps vacum leak. Have you checked the plugs again to see if the flugs fouled out? Could be a number of things. But check those, The problem has to be with air/fuel mixture, compression problem, ignition, or comp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BAD WORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways just pulled the y-pipe down found aft converter melted and half gone. removed front and aft converters from old engine and reinstalled cleaned of debris from the front of third converter .. restarted and engine still has a mis. also found bank 2 sensor 2 has nick in the wires replaced that sensor with another. I now have on engine light but still runs rough. like i listed earlier i have done upper and lower intake and plugs twice and visual inspected injectors they were clean. chaning IAC and throttle body..going today and getting a PCM hoping this works if not i will be pulling engine back out and claiming warranty .. thanks for the replies,Willie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well off work early tonight and working on it again ...PROBLEM FIXED......FOUND VACUM LEAK ON EGR SEAL THAT GOES INTO THE UPPER INTAKE. RUNNING SMOOTHER THEN EVER MAN IM SO RELEAVED...especially since my wifes current ride 2000 Focus just had alternator failure..thats half way torn down tonight get to finish it tomarrow and then engine swap on 98 explorer. thanks to all the replied and helped out .. Willie

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
oskerb said:
So it was running for a while then starting running roughly....Could be injectors... Perhaps vacum leak.
Good to hear. Was that the first place you looked?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the update! :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.