Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Newb and former lurker here. I just bought a 2009 Escape XLT and I'm finishing my first round of mods. (Wheels, tint and LED lighting.)

It was easy to find LED bulbs for the dome and license plate lights. But the light in the rear cargo area is giving me problems. I already bought the wrong thing once. I'm just wondering if anyone who has done this before can point out a specific bulb that they know will work.

I THINK this one will do nicely though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-3496-5 ... ccessories

A Ford technician at my dealer also said using LED back there MIGHT give my OEM remote starter problems. Because of the way Ford routes their circuitry, the remote starter won't work with the cargo switch set to "off." Apparently using an LED bulb might have the same effect due to its different resistance values. If that's true, I'm probably just better off going with a blue-coated incandescent bulb. It would put out a similar shade of light, but unfortunately wouldn't last forever like LED.

I should also mention that while trying to install the LED bulb which ended up NOT fitting (too small), all my interior lights went out upon contact. I thought a fuse had blown, but everything went back to normal after lock/unlock. Still, this suggests that perhaps LED just won't get along with that circuit, period.

Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I have been trying to ID this bulb for a while too, with no avail. I'll tell you something funny that happened though... I accidentally switched the rear cargo light to off (note: I have LEDs up front and in the middle too) and my LEDs did not completely turn off upon exiting the car and while driving (faint blue dot). I thought they were broken and I had ruined something, but when I went back to tinker with the cargo light, the LEDs up front turned off. I am gonna give this a try again as I'd really like to get a full LED set. Sucks to hear that it bumps heads with the remote start though.

I wonder if the 1156 is the right bulb. That number looks awfully familiar.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
It won't be an 1156. That's a huge (3156-sized) bulb that manufacturers used until wedge sockets became more popular.

I'll take a look at the lamp when I get my 2010 Escape. The reason that you see dim interior lamps with LEDs is that the output is actually pulsed (just like the headlamps). With LEDs, the quick on-off of the pulses can actually be seen with LEDs, but not with incandescent bulbs.

Also, if you short-circuit any of the lamp circuits, the FET for that circuit in the Smart Junction Box will shut down that circuit and reset it later. I wouldn't try that too many times, but at least it works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tang said:
I have been trying to ID this bulb for a while too, with no avail. I'll tell you something funny that happened though... I accidentally switched the rear cargo light to off (note: I have LEDs up front and in the middle too) and my LEDs did not completely turn off upon exiting the car and while driving (faint blue dot). I thought they were broken and I had ruined something, but when I went back to tinker with the cargo light, the LEDs up front turned off. I am gonna give this a try again as I'd really like to get a full LED set. Sucks to hear that it bumps heads with the remote start though.

I did the LED swap last weekend (finally some nice weather in NY) and I am seeing the same problem where the lights stay on, dimly, all the time. I've noticed that this only happens at night because I popped the covers off during the day and they are off. Do they turn all the way off after a certain amount of time at night? I've gone out to check on them and they were in fact off. This one is puzzling me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I pulled the OEM bulb in question for a closer look. It is a screw-in, "bayonet" style bulb, as opposed to a "wedge." It is quite large by the standards of modern interior bulbs.

Here is everything it says on it:

n8g OSRAM 5008 ITALY 12V R10W 37r E1 00211

All the above info is written in a line around the base. The "E1" is enclosed in a little box. There is also a larger print "22" stamped above all the other info on the base.

I also took some measurements, trying my best to be as accurate as possible:

From base to tip of bulb, it measures 32mm long. This length increases to 35mm if the "nipple" on the bottom of the base is included.

Its base measures 14mm in diameter.

I also took a picture of it against my ruler, next to a coin for added scale. Embarrasingly, it is not immediately obvious to this newb how to go about uploading pictures which aren't already online somewhere...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Wow. I didn't think that Ford used anything this strange in any of its North American cars. That's a 5008, a bulb normally only used on motorcycles and European cars.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... AMPAMS____

The LED bulb you listed in your original post should work, if the upper part fits. The socket base is the right one, but the LED cluster seems pretty large.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, they just couldn't make it consistent with the other three interior light bulbs, could they? That would make too much sense...

Anyway, here's a blue-coated incandescent which SHOULD fit. This would emit approximately the desired color of a standard LED, but would have a shorter lifespan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ba15s-5007-5008-Tai ... 334fcc1c8c

I think the LED I linked to in the first post would indeed be too large. The BASE would fit into the socket, but I doubt the enclosure as a whole could accomodate the entire bulb.

Now here's another LED which could fit. But unfortunately it would aim its light directly sideways, unlike the first LED which also shines it DOWN... but again that first one probably won't fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1156-Sup ... ccessories

The more I look into it, the more it seems I'll probably just have to settle for that blue-coated incandescent instead of a true LED bulb.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Tang said:

Well, the base is the same size.

That rear cargo lamp assemly is probably the last remaining part of the original 2001 Mazda influence on the Escape.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Maybe a LED circuit board is a better idea.

joe7634 said:
I did the LED swap last weekend (finally some nice weather in NY) and I am seeing the same problem where the lights stay on, dimly, all the time. I've noticed that this only happens at night because I popped the covers off during the day and they are off. Do they turn all the way off after a certain amount of time at night? I've gone out to check on them and they were in fact off. This one is puzzling me.
That's strange. it sounds like the automatic-off feature to prevent battery burnout. Make sure all your lamps are set to 'auto'. I haven't had any stay-on LED problems since!

jpark said:
That rear cargo lamp assemly is probably the last remaining part of the original 2001 Mazda influence on the Escape.
Hopefully those parts come cheap then!

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
If it looks decent, I'll take the other one from you (for a price, obviously)

maybe I should get some reflective plastic to put at the end of the bulb area

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE

Okay, I have good news and bad news.

GOOD: The bulb fits. It works flawlessly. Bright and beautiful.

BAD: As the Ford technician predicted might happen, my OEM remote starter WILL NOT function with this (or any) LED bulb in the cargo area. When I try it, all I get is the trouble signal. When I put the stock bulb back in, the vehicle starts right up. The different resistance value of the LED just does not get along with the remote starter circuitry. It's funny (crazy really) to think that a light bulb would determine the functionality of a remote start system, but that's just how they wire things.

If I wanted to go hardcore on this, I suppose I could go to Radio Shack and try wiring in a stand-alone resistor, or a combination of them, until I had the specs the circuitry needs. But I'm throwing in the towel. I'll just go with the blue-coated incandescent.

However, for those of us NOT interested in remote starters, these bulbs are perfect. (Who knows, they may even work with SOME remote start systems, just not the OEM Ford one.) I purchaed this set of two bulbs for $19.99 shipped. I can let each bulb go for $9.00 shipped. If you're interested, please email me at [email protected] to arrange a purchase. This price assumes you live in the USA.

Well, looks like I got to be the guinea pig. I hope my hands-on research proves useful to the community.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts