Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So MN Duluth finally got some snow..well on the way to work, it was fairly evident I was not confident in my tires... For the last 5 years I've had fwd cars with snow tires. This is my first 4wd vehicle and when I bought it it had newer all seasons on and my dad was like, ohhh it will be fine they have a mountain and mudd sign. Well I looked and they are highway all seasons and the tread is..imo lacking any snow aggression ;) I have BFG long trail tires. I slid a lot and coming down a hill to work was almost ALL sliding with a very slow car in front of me and it was hard to even slow down let alone stop. This doesnt sit well with me, I had more confidence driving my fwd with snow tires than this...So this leads me to find some winter tires, I'm thinking AT's?
I have the XLS with 15" alloy wheels. I'd like to get the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's but not sure they fit my stock rim. Is there a cheap 16" steelie or wheel that works on the escape? Thoughts on the revo 2 tire?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Buy yourself a set of dedicated winter tires. It's nearly (official) winter now and the temperature will be below freezing for a good long while. All Terrain tires are good at lots of things, but not particullarly the best at anything and because of that, winter driving can be comprimised by tread blocks that freeze up or don't have enough snipes cut into them to assist in traction on snow packed roads.

You can pick up a pre-mounted set of winter tires for a small sum of money and then restore your confidence in driving (without sliding.) As a side benefit, your main set of rims will not be subjected to all the roadsalt that can eat away at your clear coat.

4w4 is great in the winter. It's even better with a proper set of winter shoes on it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah -- if I were in Duluth, I would probably spring for some dedicated snows on steelies.

Most AT tires do real well in snow. Check the ratings on tirerack. The new Michelin LTX MS2 should also be great in snow. However, I know your hills and extreme winters (been there). Dedicated Winter tires will suit you better -- as they are designed to perform better in extreme cold.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
A/Ts are good in snow, bad on ice. You could get away with it if your streets are never plowed (e.g., a rural area), but otherwise, stick to tires with the severe snow rating. If you have storage issues and simply cannot have an extra set of tires, most H-rated winter tires can be run year-round.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Now could be the time to buy new tires. Here's an except from an article I read on Smartmoney.com's website this morning regarding purchasing new tires:

"But is this the right time to act? It could be, since manufacturers are in the process of raising prices. Goodyear (GT: 14.44*, +0.31, +2.19%) increased its prices by 6%, effective Dec. 1, while Bridgestone plans a 5% hike for Jan. 1. In September, the U.S. government also imposed a 35% tariff on Chinese imports. Now those once-cheaper brands are on par with U.S. prices, which effectively created a floor, says Lawrence Orlowski, the primary credit analyst covering Goodyear for Standard & Poor's. Manufacturers have cut production substantially, but are unlikely to start a price war."

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My current tires have the snow flake and mud sign on them and lots of tread left. But yeah they arent cutting it for these duluth hills and stuff.

Oh those canada videos? yes Ive seen them many times haha. Good example for all the people on my cobalt forum that think a fwd car with only 2 snow tires on the front would be the best idea.... :worry:

I know snow tires would be best, but the all terrain revo 2's seem to be pretty good in snow and last 50k miles. Snow tires I've had before maybe last 30k? Ive never worn them out...because I would sell my car with them before that haha. If snow tires and some cheap rims are cheaper than the revo's I'd probably go that route.

EDIT:

Do any steelies fit the escape? Or a cheap rim? I found some snow tires on tirerack for under $100 so I could get a full wheel/tire cheaper than the revo's.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Are you referring to the M+S sign? That's nearly meaningless as it is just a tread void requirement, with no testing involved. Winter tires are marked with the mountain and snowflake symbol.

15" and 16" steelies with a 5x114.3" bolt pattern should fit your '05. I wouldn't worry too much about multi-fit wheels, just torque them while they are off the ground or have very little weight on them.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah I dont think the S+M mean a whole lot after looking at this tread pattern ;)

Well I talked to my guy at Tirerack and we both agreed winter tires would be best as my current tires work great for spring/summer/fall. Well I priced out on the website and I had some sport edition f2's ($81 each) and general altimax artic's $71 each and it came to $743 :/ more than I wanted to spend but I cant find a freaking steelie anywhere. Plus they couldnt ship till first week in Janurary because rims and tires were in different states.

I talked to Kyle at TR and he must love me (after the amount of crap I bought from him) and got me a different rim, sport edition D5 and the same tire, for cheaper, shipped faster (get them next week) and lug nuts. So I should be a happy camper :) well my bank wont..I'll have to freelance some to sleep at night ;)

wheel: Sport edition D5...meh nothing special cheapest option since no steelie was available.

Tire: General Altimax Artic, top rated on consumer reports and recommended

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal to me. I am glad that I do not have to buy a set of snow tires, but find it interesting anyway.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You are going to be amazed at the difference between the all-season and a dedicated winter tire. It even sounds like you got a killer deal on the rim / tire combo which makes it that much nicer.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah for the last 4 years or so I've had summer only tires and winter set so I'm not used to all seasons and they dont feel that good in the snow. I'm glad everyone was saying winter only tires...because you are right they feel much more solid in winter driving.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yea, I think its nearly impossible to find steelies for Escapes... I just picked up a set of 4 stock Escape wheels from Tom on the boards here, either those or my current 15's are getting winter tires on them, I drive too much in this Chicago weather to deal with basic all season tires on my 2wd

·
Registered
758 Posts
I run Goodyear Forenta Triple Treads tires during the winter months and are very pleased with these tires that have a 60,000 mile warranty. Yes they have the mountain and snowflake label. Almost all dedicated snow tires have very limited treadwear lift.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts