Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Good stuff you got there, I like the diagram. I see you have two Polk 2 Way Componets in there, what is going to drive the other two door speakers?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... the diagram is a compilation of a few different diagrams taken directly from AudioControl EQX owners manual, with a few additions to make it specific to me. The rear speakers.... It may be an unpopular decision... but for now I am just going to use the head unit for the rear door speakers...

thanks-epi

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
epi4561 said:
Thanks... the diagram is a compilation of a few different diagrams taken directly from AudioControl EQX owners manual, with a few additions to make it specific to me. The rear speakers.... It may be an unpopular decision... but for now I am just going to use the head unit for the rear door speakers...

thanks-epi
That's exactly what i would do since rears are low volume fill only, if anything.

The only thing different I would do is run those polks actively, because time alignment will be an issue. You'd need a sub amp, but otherwise I think your processor could do it.

I'm also slightly concerned about your signal chain, as you have a long one. Each unit will add its noise and your noise floor will be higher as a result.

Otherwise great equipment and good plan. Don't forget the deadening and foam, and make a very solid ground at the back seat bracket area

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fourthmeal said:
The only thing different I would do is run those polks actively, because time alignment will be an issue. You'd need a sub amp, but otherwise I think your processor could do it.
Not to be an idiot, but what do you mean by running the polks actively, and time alignment being an issue? Also, what other option is there for my signal cables? This is how the EQX manual says to install them. One more thing, would you have the polks coming out of the "full range output" or the "high pass output"?

thanks-epi

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
epi4561 said:
fourthmeal said:
Not to be an idiot, but what do you mean by running the polks actively, and time alignment being an issue? Also, what other option is there for my signal cables? This is how the EQX manual says to install them. One more thing, would you have the polks coming out of the "full range output" or the "high pass output"?

thanks-epi
A basic understanding of active and passive crossover systems is required.

http://www.bcae1.com is a good starter course.

Another option for running signal cables is to not run products like an epicenter, if you find they induce noise without performance gains. Grabbing some female-female rca connectors will let you bypass things like the Epicenter and you'll be able to tell for yourself if it is actually doing anything for you. Alternately you could just run the Epicenter through your sub output instead of your main output, since the Epicenter controls only bass, as I understand the product.

Do a post check on me and check out my other posts in other threads. I actually covered this exact topic a few times and I think it will give you what you need on what going active does (pros and cons.)

The polks are going to be highpass to cut out the low frequency bass that would damage them. with proper sealing and deadening, and foam work (including the gasket around the speaker to couple it to the door panel), you should probably start crossing at ~70hz @dB/oct. Likewise your subs should start at ~70hz lowpass. Don't be afraid to fiddle with this until is sounds just right of course. Always work front to back, the subs probably have the most flexibility.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think you can run the epicenter straight through to the subs because the way it works is that it actually creates low end frequencies based on the high end frequencies that it receives. So if it doesn't receive any high end frequencies it doesn't produce any low end. At least that's how I understood it when I bought it years ago... But, on the other hand, since I finished installing my stuff in the Escape (just a few days ago) I have yet to use the epicenter. Now I am wondering if I even need it in there. I originally got it when I upgraded to the EQX from a crappy in-dash Sony 9 band equalizer/crossover. I say crappy, but for some reason I really liked it, mostly for the subwoofer control while driving... So I basicly got the epicenter for the bass knob.. what can I say, I was young and stupid... I seriously might yank it out. I'll post some pics of the install in a few days.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I too have a bass knob, and that's a good thing because recordings can vary in bass content dramatically. MY 3sixty.2 has one and I took the pop-out panel near my left knee and molded it in there.

I was just thinking that the epicenter takes low level or full-range signal and improves the bass response through gain. I haven't done my research on the unit but I thought it was to center in on a certain frequency and boost that frequency for SPL purposes.

IMO, if you want it just for bass knob purposes, a lot of amps can add a knob, and/or you can the epicenter in the sub out signal path (which won't cause any noticeable noise since hiss and noise is usually higher frequency.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts