Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know nothing about cars and am in need of help. In 2 months Im moving across country and will need to tow a 5x8 uhual trailer. Im looking at purchasing a 2010 Ford Escape that has front wheel drive and a 4v engine. I'll be looking at it tomorrow afternoon and need to know if its even possible to do so. I have no idea what any of the numbers for the hitch mean. I know it says the towing capacity is 1500 on google. I have also called uhual several times and two employees have said I'd "be fine".

Because Im so ignorant, Im basically just asking for a yes or no answer with a little bit of information as to why (to put my mind to ease).

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Welcome to the site. This is a link to Ford's website for the owner's manual. Search towing, and it will explain everything you need to know. https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/escape/2010/owner-manuals/

Tip: Have the transmission fluid changed with the best (Ford) full synthetic fluid. Heat within the transmission wears out the fluid. Worn out fluid kills transmission. Full synthetic handles heat better. Towing a trailer will generate a lot of heat within the transmission. While having the vehicle service, have them check out the cooling system from top to bottom.

Welcome again.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
4v? If you mean the I4 4 cylinder 2.5, then yes, it has a max trailer rating of 1500 pounds.

Both engines are 4v, the 3.0 V6 is rated to tow 3500.

The 5x8 covered UHaul trailer empty weighs 900 pounds. So that leaves 600 pounds of stuff that can be loaded and remain under the limit of the vehicle. I wouldn't suggest going over that limit.
The 5x8 utility trailer is actually heavier at 1000 pounds so only 500 pounds of stuff can be loaded.

That trailer (5x8 covered) is my go to when moving stuff, I have moved a 1 bedroom/2 people amount of stuff in one, and a studio apartment also (I had to get the 5x8 because of the queen mattress for that move). But my vehicle is rated to tow more.

·
Administrator
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
20,729 Posts
Welcome to the City!!! We are glad you joined us!!!

If the Escape doesn't already have one installed, you will need to have a hitch and trailer wiring installed. Here is a link to the 2010 Ford RV & Towing Guide. There is also good information in there that might help you decide if this setup will work for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Short answer you asked for? No. That will be well above the limit once your stuff is loaded, unless you're transporting several dozen down filled pillows. I was going to say the trailer alone will be half a ton as a WAG but bangster has told us it actually does weigh about half a ton. Most likely your stuff will weigh another half a ton if not more. If you were towing it from Florida to south Texas where the elevation wouldn't change 100 feet then maybe but "cross country" suggest literally across the country which includes the Rockies. That could potentially kill your car. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
While uhaul employees say one thing, if you go on the U-Haul website it will ask you many questions about the vehicle and tell you the most trailer you can get and load. They won't rent you more trailer than you can safely tow. You might check that out so you don't have an unwelcome surprise.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts