Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have error code P0708, which is 'Trans Range Sensor high input' (TRS). This is also known as the Neutral Safety Switch from what I have read. I recently got the car back from a tranny rebuild...for the second time. I'm sure this is a result of the work, but there is no way I'm taking the car back to that guy...long story. I just want to replace the switch myself, but I can't find any DIY for it. Anyone know where to find instructions?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Ill try to look more into it but check the tab that is on the shifter base and look like a cut out tab. Fit a flat head in there and pop it out, see if you can get hands on and maybe its switched on. Well actaully can you but into iny gear when the key and brake ARE NOT APPLIED???? But if not still check that maybe it needs a wiggle or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to change it yesterday, and that cleared the code. To get to it, you have to remove the battery and tray, remove the air intake tube between the TB and the air filter box, and move the coolant hose cluster. Since you have to pull a few coolant hoses, you have to drain the coolant first - big mess.

Changing the sensor itself was easy. Just make sure you apply emergency brake and put the car in neutral before starting any of the above. Obviously once you remove the battery clamps you can't move the shifter.

The connector was pretty corroded - had obviously gotten some moisture in there. I might could have just cleaned the connectors, but the senor was only $50, and after all the trouble to get to it, I just replaced and cleaned the wire harness connector.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts