Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-
New to this site, and my 2005 Escape Hybrid. I love it except for one thing - no MP3 jack. Currently, I've got the factory display with the CD navigation and the 6-disc CD changer (under passenger seat). I've talked to the local install shop, and they say they can give me MP3, but that I will have to give up the changer! According to them, there are no open inputs on the system. I've also considering changing out the whole system, except the same guys tell me that I would then lose the MPG and battery monitor that are changing the way I drive!

So, to all you Escape Hybrid experts, what can I do?!? Any help greatly appreciated.
- Brian

Merged from How-To: 2005-2007 Hybrid Models:
I recently purchased a 2005 Hybrid Escape, and I'd like to upgrade the stereo. Currently, I have the display system, with the navigation CD or DVD that goes in the in-dash changer, plus a CD-changer. I'd like to add an MP3 jack, but the guy I go to tells me that I would have to put that jack in place of the existing changer - there are no auxiliary inputs available on the system.

I've also thought about replacing the system, but I was told I'd lose access to the mpg, battery and possibly other indicators - no after-market system has those plus all the audio bells and whistles.

If possible, I'd really like to have it all - the navigation system (by CD/DVD if necessary), the CD changer, the MP3 jack, and the existing hybrid display. Is there anything that will work? Help!
- Brian

·
Registered
142 Posts
With the aux converters, you will typically lose the CD changer. However, PIE sells a converter that includes a switcher so you can have the aux and the changer. You would need the X3 Brian unit from them and a X3-FRD_ (there are three options--depends on how many pins are in your outlet on the back of the head unit). Basically, you can keep your Hybrid display, the cd changer, and add aux for around $80. The website is http://www.pie.net.

The other options is a wired FM modulator. It plugs into the back of the head unit where the antenna plugs in, and the antenna plugs into the modulator. You splice it into a power source, and when you switch it on, it blocks the outside radio reception and pumps your aux input in through a radio station. The sound isn't as good as option 1 above, but it is a solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Brian742,
Was this successful? I may do the same thing for my '06 hybrid radio with nav/cd/battery monitor.
How long did it take you to install? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the information. I have checked out PIE and have settled on the combo of X3 and FRDW cable for my 2007 Escape Hybid Limited with Nav and external OEM disc changer. Now all I have to do is to find the best deal. So far It looks like Amazon. A different vendor has each piece. O I could pay more and get it as a package from a single vendor although not on Amazon. Has anyone done this install? It looks simple. Just swap in a few new connectors and your done.

Let me know if I am missing something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I live and work in the Valley, I had a place called Galpin Auto Sports (of Pimp My Ride fame) do it for me. They used a rocker switch so that hitting the button to go to the CD changer takes me to the changer or, at the flip of a switch, the iPod. It works awesome. Strong praise given below:

I had to have my entire navigation unit swapped out (under extended warranty), and took it to Galpin Ford. I asked about the possibility of having the mp3 connection and the CD changer, without losing the navigation and hybrid display, and the service advisor suggested I talk to the guys at GAS (across the street). I talked to a couple of guys. The first one thought it could be done, but wasn't sure. The second guy said it couldn't be done, or at least not affordably. While I was talking to him though, the first guy talked to their stereo expert, and he said he thought he could do it. After Galpin Ford swapped out the nav system, before hooking it up, they took it over to GAS. The guy's idea worked! (I can't remember which guys I talked to, but I think one was 'Z', and I feel like the other might have been Ruben, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I was REALLY impressed with the talent over there. Between them, I think they could do anything! I dropped the car off in the morning, and it was ready by mid-afternoon. They hadn't made a mess, and everything has worked fine for the last 8 months or so.

If you're in LA, I highly recommend Galpin Ford and Galpin Auto Sports (GAS).

- Brian

·
Registered
161 Posts
jcpj_ca said:
Thanks for the information. I have checked out PIE and have settled on the combo of X3 and FRDW cable for my 2007 Escape Hybid Limited with Nav and external OEM disc changer. Now all I have to do is to find the best deal. So far It looks like Amazon. A different vendor has each piece. O I could pay more and get it as a package from a single vendor although not on Amazon. Has anyone done this install? It looks simple. Just swap in a few new connectors and your done.

Let me know if I am missing something.
Can you post what exactly you bought? I have a 2005 ford escape and would like to be able to use my ipod.

Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
brian742 said:
Hey all-
New to this site, and my 2005 Escape Hybrid. I love it except for one thing - no MP3 jack. Currently, I've got the factory display with the CD navigation and the 6-disc CD changer (under passenger seat). I've talked to the local install shop, and they say they can give me MP3, but that I will have to give up the changer! According to them, there are no open inputs on the system. I've also considering changing out the whole system, except the same guys tell me that I would then lose the MPG and battery monitor that are changing the way I drive!

So, to all you Escape Hybrid experts, what can I do?!? Any help greatly appreciated.
- Brian

Merged from How-To: 2005-2007 Hybrid Models:
I recently purchased a 2005 Hybrid Escape, and I'd like to upgrade the stereo. Currently, I have the display system, with the navigation CD or DVD that goes in the in-dash changer, plus a CD-changer. I'd like to add an MP3 jack, but the guy I go to tells me that I would have to put that jack in place of the existing changer - there are no auxiliary inputs available on the system.

I've also thought about replacing the system, but I was told I'd lose access to the mpg, battery and possibly other indicators - no after-market system has those plus all the audio bells and whistles.

If possible, I'd really like to have it all - the navigation system (by CD/DVD if necessary), the CD changer, the MP3 jack, and the existing hybrid display. Is there anything that will work? Help!
- Brian
Did you ever find anything to work?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts