Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all --

New board member, and new 2010 Mariner Hybrid 4WD owner. 1 week old, about 600 miles on 'er so far. I think I got one of the last Mariner Hybrid 4WD's that will ever be sold. Very happy with my purchase so far.

But hybrids are new to me. I've read up on how the whole system works, and have figured out the indicators on the Nav system screen ... how to drop the vehicle back down to EV mode, keeping the accelerator pedal just at the line to maintain speed in all EV-mode, etc. etc. I'm sure there's more for me to learn and get used to ... but I think I've got the basics down.

But ... I must be driving it backwards or something, because my MPG ratings compared to the EPA estimates are completely backwards. I'm getting 32-34mpg on the highway, and about 27-28 or so in around-the-town driving. Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe the system just needs more time to break in. Just thought it was odd, and thought I'd ask the folks here who are the hypermiling experts (so far, most of the hypermiling Escape/Mariner articles I've been able to read are several years old and don't encompass the new battery and CVT).

Thanks for all the posts in the forum so far ... they've been a great read!

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the City! :welcome:

Congrats on your new hybrid! We would love to see some pics! :)

I have an 09 Mariner Hybrid. I have been driving it since July, 2009. It has around 8450 miles. Lately I have been averaging between 31 and 32 mpg. That is with the air conditioner blaring ( it is very hot here) and mixed driving conditions, city/country roads. I have gotten up to 34 mpg but that is usually when I take it real easy (not typical for me).

I do feel that your vehicle still needs breaking in.
There are others on this board who can provide you with further info and I am sure that they will chime in. :) I am NOT a hypermiling expert.

Also, there are two sites that I highly recommend, greenhybrid.com and cleanmpg.com.

I will say that after driving my hybrid a little over a year now, I am so much in love with it. :)

Glad you decided to join the site! You are gonna love it here!! :yes:

·
Registered
758 Posts
There is a significant break in period for these hybrid vehicles. I had a nearly 7,000 mile break in period before mileage stabilized. In the real world, you will obtain the best (MPG) mileage driving on roads with the 25-45 mph speed limits, not in the city. How high can one drive the mileage in a 2009-/10 Escape/Mariner Hybrid? One "well known hyper-miler" in Florida just reported on a 62 MPG TANK! But, this is at the extreme limits with cherry picking of driving times, routes, warm weather and in a FWD version. You are driving a hybrid vehicle, not an electric car. Experience with your vehicle while monitoring RPM's, hybrid battery state of charge and a few other items can help answer your questions posted here.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hi Toomer!.
Looks quite nice your new Mariner. :thumb:
Also that house is beautiful. :shades: :yes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts