Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hockey season is done and it was time for a new look. The car you see ---->
is a 1926 Ford model T "Doctors coupe". It is a beautifully restored canadian car built down the road from here in Windsor Ontario. Engine and frame numbers still match. This car belongs to my future father inlaw and one of my projects for this summer is to learn to drive this thing as it will be used for my wedding parade, 3 other vintage T's will be following along.
There's no gas pedal, no gear shift, and no power options for this baby. Throttle and spark advance are controlled from the steering column, on the floor there are 4 pedals, one to select the high or low range, one to engage the reverse gear and a brake pedal that tightens a band around the transmission to slow you down. The forth pedal (more like a button) is for the electric starter, optional as the crank on the front is also functional. I forsee a lot of stalling and frustration to come as I will be learning to drive all over again but in the end this could be a whole lot of fun and I'm sure invites on Model T tours will follow. Well enough of my ramblings about the last century, it's back reading about 21st century Fords. :wave:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Wow... Nice looking Model T :thumb: Good luck learning to 'get it to go'.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,599 Posts
Great looking avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JIMMYJOHN said:
What do you think the Horse Power is?
The model T's were generally rated at about 20 horse power, doesn't seem like much but low gear ratios, tall wheels and a very light vehicle meant they could cruise at about 60km/h (40mph). The curb weight on a car like this one is only about 1300 pounds, or about 1/3 of an Escape 4X4. Not exactly a race car but still tons of fun.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
We need a "like" button here.

:D

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a little bigger version of my avatar ...

The little pictures arent easy to see sometimes. :(

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Nice! Have fun learning to drive it!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Enjoy the ride!

I always wanted one, but never found the funds to buy and restore one. Now I'm to much of a curmudgeon to buy one. :yes:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I had my first driving lesson today. Things went pretty well but I'm sure I'll need a little more time behind the wheel to get used to this thing. The brake pedal is where the gas is supposed to be and I've never had to re-adjust the spark advance while driving before. :bang:
The brakes and steering are a whole different ball game as well. The turning circle is pretty big, you risk breaking spokes otherwise, and the brakes require a little more stopping space, no stopping on any dimes with this one.
It's a fun little monster to drive and it certainly turns heads.
Can't wait to head out again! :wave:
(maybe a few less stalls next time :doh: )

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Wow... you've really got to pay attention driving that one!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I am so jealous. :yes: Sounds like a fun drive. I thought my old '64 Chevy truck 3speed on the column was fun to drive. You're going to have a blast with this one. :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts