Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 05 Escape xlt in for new tires and was told it wouldn't start. They hooked the batteru up for a test and said it was at 10 V not 12, and since I've never had battery problems it must have suddenly shorted... I did not feel comfortable asking them to replace the battery, so we jumped it and took it home. Put in new battery. I followed the instructions in the manual for reseting the idle and trans. After a new battery but my spedometer, gas gague, radio, does not work. I have driven it 30 mi but it still won't reset, even after reconnecting battery and driving it. I don't know what to do and don't want to get ripped off :/

Thanks,
Susan

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi,

Did you look at the fuses to see if any had popped?

It may be something as simple as that.

Please report back.

Others may be experiencing similar problems.

Personally, I like getting to the bottom of issues with a fix so everyone can share in the knowledge.

Good luck Susan.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
As Manic said I would first check the fuses.
Does your radio has an anti-theft code you have to key in?
Check the condition of your instruments panel by:
Keeping the trip odometer button pushed in, turn the key to the second position, not the ignition.All the bulbs in the panel should light up like a christmas tree and the speedo and rev counter needles should do a full sweep before returning to zero.
If this happens it means that you get juice to the panel.
I hate to think that they shorted things out at the tire place.
Question:What kind of resetting did you do to the idle and the trans after you changed the battery?
Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar issue with my 04 escape i could use some advise on, my gf tried changing her battery while i was @ work yesterday and hooked it up backwards, now we lost all interior lights @ all times and headlights after the ignition has been switched off, no radio @ all the buttons lights up but no power to the clock, power locks wont work unless the car is running nor will any dash, odomiter read out, so im guess i wondering did she fry the ingniton wire or is there a cluster/ fuse that could be blown cuz ive check almost every fuse in the kick plate box and every one under the hood, none r popped kinda bummed and @ a loss,

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
There are relays involved besides fuses and in your case vt I would check all relays as well as the fuses.In your case the PCM has to be checked and, unless you are comfortable with such matters it pays to take it to an authorized dealer and explain what happened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. I changed the fuse and now the instrument panel works. However, the check engine light is now on, which is a first. Does it sound related?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Check engine light is neither trustworthy nor fool-proof.Just to make sure, disconnect the negative pole terminal of the battery.Wait for twenty minutes before reconnecting it.Start the engine and see if it insists comming on.Good luck and keep us posted, please.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Don't forget about the fuses in the Battery Junction Box, under the hood. The BJB is installed in all E/M/T models, regardless of the year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.