Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to purchase a new camera soon and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what kind i should get. Just looking for something to capture friends and family so probably in the 100 to 200 range. Any ideas?
:shrug: :confused:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I've been through 3 Kodak cameras in three months and bought a nikon s6000 for $159.00. Great camera. Awesome optical 7x zoom. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
My dual-lens, wide angle, fits nicely in my pocket, Kodak v570 has been great to me for about 5 years. My only problems with it are it's not great in low light and you need a special cable to connect it directly to a computer. It comes (came actually) only with a dock.

If I was to get a new camera today, it would probably be a Canon Powershot Elph like the one at this link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sd1300_is.

I know a few people with Elph's and they take consistently better photos in low light. Canon's digital processing is very often considered the best in the business...

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I purchased a Panasonic camera a few years ago (3?) based on it's Leica lens. It is alot better than the Olympus I had purchased only a few years earlier. I would recommend checking into Panasonic if they still have the good lenses. Going through the websites mentioned above are a good idea too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ajax said:
I purchased a Panasonic camera a few years ago (3?) based on it's Leica lens. It is alot better than the Olympus I had purchased only a few years earlier. I would recommend checking into Panasonic if they still have the good lenses. Going through the websites mentioned above are a good idea too.
I am also a fan of the Panasonic Lumix line-up… my wife has used one for a few years and both her and my two daughters can be a rough-ride for a camera (the battered & scratched body attests to that, yet it still works).

While my main camera is a Nikon D300 DSLR with the lens line-up to suit (though I'm currently salivating over a D3X, but the cost is still prohibitive), and I am always enticed by what Canon is up to (they keep tempting me to consider switching from my 30-year allegiance to Nikon), I need a compact camera to take to construction sites to photograph projects before, during and after.

My main criteria is the wide angle of the lens and resulting image quality (colour, low light performance, and distortion). So the so-called "ultra wide angle" compacts have always been my focus (a bit of misnomer actually), and Panasonic's Lumix DMC LX-5 was my most recent purchase (yesterday)! It's wide setting (24mm equivalent) is great and the reviews are excellent so I look forward to taking it on-site this Monday and Wednesday. It has a solid all-metal body and the controls & lens cap seem substantial enough to withstand the dust, debris and knocks that accompany many construction inspections.

Unfortunately it is double your $200 target, but as others have noted, there are plenty of good compacts now available at that price point.

Just remember the old saying… "The best camera is the one you have with you" -- I've even managed some good photos with my iPhone 3GS when I've had nothing else available.

:pics:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I have a high dollar (2007 dollars) Nikon. I have never been totally happy with it. There is always something... :mad: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

If I were to buy another camera today, it would be another Canon :thumb: :thumb: or maybe a Sony :yes: . They are the only cameras that I know of with image stablization.

·
Registered
277 Posts
jonas1022 said:
If I were to buy another camera today, it would be another Canon or maybe a Sony. They are the only cameras that I know of with image stablization.
Actually, most manufacturer's offer some type of image stabilization on various camera models. Certainly Nikon has had this technology for some time now, though they call theirs "Vibration Reduction" (VR). It is essentially the same thing as Canon's "Image Stabilization" (IS). Note that both technologies only assist with camera motion, not the blurring created by subject motion.

Both Canon & Nikon have historically favoured lens-based stabilization, while other manufacturers (Pentax, Ricoh, Olympus) have focussed more on camera body (sensor shift) solutions. Debates often rage on the Internet as to which is better, with in-camera supporters claiming the built-in is better because then every lens regardless of age or focal length benefits and the lens cost can theoretically be less expensive, while the lens-based systems have become less expensive over time and can be tailored to the particulars of each lens (telephotos require significant stabilization, while wide angles require less).

Some camera manufacturer's tout their "anti-shake" technology, but that is often achieved by using a higher ISO to speed up the shutter (while introducing more "noise" into the photograph). You can achieve the same thing manually with most cameras.

:confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
stone said:
Four_Eyes said:
For digital cameral reviews, I go to these sites :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/
Quite informative those sites.

They partially influenced my decision, of purchasing the Nikon D40X DSLR. :)
Excellent choice! Being a Nikon owner myself and a freelance photographer, I know you'll be very happy with this camera. Now.....the best thing you can do is put your money into good glass! (good lenses). :yes:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Run Away from Best Buy and Walfart for sure.

I go to my local Staples on Black Friday morning and it's not that bad. I've also gone to Bed Bath & Beyond the last two years in Paramus. It's right next to the Best Buy. BB&B is active but not nuts. I walk over to Best Buy and it is absolutely insane. The line is like 40 people long and you can barely move in the TV and computer areas. Last year I went in for software. It's not a hot category on Black Friday so I wasn't fighting through people. I guess how bad BF is depends on where you go and what you are looking for...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.