Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made my own version of a DIY CAI:
Will hopefully be doing a write up soon that i have several other pictures taken during the process, There is allot of stuff i learned by doing this that may be helpful to other members here so feel free to ask. i do get better t-response with this and the sound is very unique!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
:thumb:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Hey, thanks for the pics!!! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments!
Since i bunged a hole in the muffler and flex pipe lately (lots of rocks here...BIG rocks) i will be installing a magnaflow exhaust system and when i get it, ill post pics and sound clips! It already sounds like a V8.

But i was wondering, since ltl'red is still in warranty, will having that intake in there void my warranty? :( Honestly, the ford dealership we got it from has been very good to us and we have bought all our vehicles from them for the last 20 years.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Warranty is usually voided on those parts that are replaced with aftermarket items. But not necessarily on the entire vehicle. In other words, the warranty will be voided on the intake parts that you have replaced, and the muffler when you get around to that...or anything else that you choose to swap out :play: . As for the balance of the vehicle, if your concerned with keeping up the :kneel: warranty, hold off on modding till the warranty is exhausted.
;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wickymustang said:
What did you use for the seperation between the air filter and the rest of the engine compartment?
as in the heat shield?
I used aluminum sheeting cut-to-fit and on top i use high-heat pipe insulation, it fits snugly against the hood.
i also painted the aluminum with high-temp ceramic engine paint...if u open the hood after a long drive and feel the aluminum shield and filter, it is warm while the rest of the engine bay is HOT.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I don't want to shoot you down but the way you have that hooked up its more susceptible to heat intrusion. The stock intake is cold air. Your really just creating your own air box. You would be better off installing a K&N air filter in your stock box. You could remove your resonator and plug it too. If you wanted to help keep it cool you could insulate the stock intake, air box and maybe install some reflective fire-resistant insulation under the plastic upper intake manifold to keep engine heat from radiating into the intake. But it looks cool :thumb:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ajc6882 said:
I don't want to shoot you down but the way you have that hooked up its more susceptible to heat intrusion. The stock intake is cold air. Your really just creating your own air box. You would be better off installing a K&N air filter in your stock box. You could remove your resonator and plug it too. If you wanted to help keep it cool you could insulate the stock intake, air box and maybe install some reflective fire-resistant insulation under the plastic upper intake manifold to keep engine heat from radiating into the intake. But it looks cool :thumb:
I was actually thinking of that myself...i still have the resonator pipe attached but i have discovered that it gets all the air from the front and not the fenderwell (there is no inlet into the pipe from the fenderwell) i will eventually do that but if i remove the resonator pipe from the stock airbox wont it still be getting hot air?
but ill admit, it looks cool and sounds like theres a little supercharger under tha hood lolol

·
Registered
30 Posts
ltlredscape said:
But i was wondering, since ltl'red is still in warranty, will having that intake in there void my warranty?
It will not void your warranty. If your modification causes any damage, like unfiltered air dusting out your engine or a piece letting go and getting sucked into your engine, then of course the warranty people will laugh at you. But if anything completely unrelated requires warranty attention, like an oil leak, you have nothing to worry about.

ajc6882 said:
I completely agree. The stock setup in in our Escape/Tribute is one of the best stock setups that I have ever seen, and a K&N filter in the stock airbox would be the best. However, I will do this mod just for one reason: to make it sound way cooler! By the way, excellent work!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mechman600 said:
ltlredscape said:
But i was wondering, since ltl'red is still in warranty, will having that intake in there void my warranty?
It will not void your warranty. If your modification causes any damage, like unfiltered air dusting out your engine or a piece letting go and getting sucked into your engine, then of course the warranty people will laugh at you. But if anything completely unrelated requires warranty attention, like an oil leak, you have nothing to worry about.

ajc6882 said:
I completely agree. The stock setup in in our Escape/Tribute is one of the best stock setups that I have ever seen, and a K&N filter in the stock airbox would be the best. However, I will do this mod just for one reason: to make it sound way cooler! By the way, excellent work!
Thanks, i spent allot of work on this mod and the sound is well worth it!!! believe me, its amazing..it sounds like ur in a whole other vehicle.
I also notice a slightly better throttle tip.
In general, Ford SUVs and most of their trucks have good stock airbox setups
btw,mechman600, i will help u on this mod if u want.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ltlredscape said:
ajc6882 said:
I was actually thinking of that myself...i still have the resonator pipe attached but i have discovered that it gets all the air from the front and not the fenderwell (there is no inlet into the pipe from the fenderwell) i will eventually do that but if i remove the resonator pipe from the stock airbox wont it still be getting hot air?
but ill admit, it looks cool and sounds like theres a little supercharger under tha hood lolol
It's very easy to open up the end of the plastic end in the fenderwell so that you get cold air from there too ;) I've done it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
oh yeah! That'S reminds me to put back my k&n filter i removed from my 2010 into my '11 :yes:

Will wait spring though!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts