Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting stuff in this autoblog post...

. . . joining the MKX and MKT mid-size crossovers may well be a new compact 'ute based on the underpinnings of the next-gen Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner and Ford Kuga (for Europe, at least) . . . . The Mercury Mariner and Ford Escape twins along with the expected Lincoln crossover should show up late in 2011.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/27/report-lincoln-and-mercurys-new-direction-involves-downsizing/

Wow . . . Ford's lineup is changing faster than I can ever remember for any automaker! Also note: conspicuously absent is the Tribute :whistle:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
MichaelJD1980 said:
Interesting stuff in this autoblog post...

. . . joining the MKX and MKT mid-size crossovers may well be a new compact 'ute based on the underpinnings of the next-gen Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner and Ford Kuga (for Europe, at least) . . . . The Mercury Mariner and Ford Escape twins along with the expected Lincoln crossover should show up late in 2011.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/27/report-lincoln-and-mercurys-new-direction-involves-downsizing/

Wow . . . Ford's lineup is changing faster than I can ever remember for any automaker! Also note: conspicuously absent is the Tribute :whistle:
Thanks for the link. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't think we need 4 of the same (if the Tribute continues). I wouldn't see an attraction for Lincoln 'Escape' with a $10K premium -- unless it has the 3.5 ecoboost. I rarely see an MKX on the road now (what's the point when you can buy an Edge for much less?).

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I guess our Tribbie will soldier on for some time, it matters little that there isn't a replacement for the current Tribute. Not like they bust their buns selling them at the moment anyhow. They have the CX-5, 7 and 9 to sell. Plenty of SUV/CUV machines available at the Mazda house already. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I think Ford sold their controlling interest in Mazda a while back. They've been buddy-buddy for a very long time, so I am guessing that they will still share engineering like GM and Toyota do, but Mazda might be looking to differentiate themselves from Ford clones. Just a guess.

I don't really like the small Lincolns. That blurs the line between them and Mercury - I thought of Mercury as "everyday luxury" and Lincoln as the big, no expenses spared, V8 monsters.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Squishy said:
I think Ford sold their controlling interest in Mazda a while back. They've been buddy-buddy for a very long time, so I am guessing that they will still share engineering like GM and Toyota do, but Mazda might be looking to differentiate themselves from Ford clones. Just a guess.

I don't really like the small Lincolns. That blurs the line between them and Mercury - I thought of Mercury as "everyday luxury" and Lincoln as the big, no expenses spared, V8 monsters.
I think they are down to 12% ownership from something like 33%. IIRC, the 33% is the greatest buyout of a Japanese corp. by a foriegner by law in Japan.

Yup, Big Mercury's and bigger Lincolns...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.