Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2009 XLT v6 4WD today - not sure of the exact colour name, but I am calling it "Ford Blue", with tan/ivory leather, sunroof, 17" chromes, and a few other toys. A Ford "campaign" car, meaning it it not an ex rental but could be a company car, company car for a supplier, or something like that. It was registered to "Ventes Ford du Canada" in Montreal, so should be good - company car. No snow tires with it, but A/S tires have 11/32 tread thanks to Quebec's mandatory snow tire laws! Only 12,000km on it (7,000 miles) and over $10K less than new, plus a great finance rate from my credit union, so I am excited. :yahoo:

Pick it up next Saturday as that is when my Odyssey goes back. Also looking forward to lower fuel bills. Tried an almost idential 4cyl but I remember cursing my old CRV's lack of power. I took the advice of those on this board re: gas mileage (and TrueDelta's numbers) being relatively similar between the 2 engines - not enough of a difference to sacrifice the power.

Looking forward to learning from you Escapees. Will post pics when I get it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. :welcome:
Sounds like you got a great deal. I've only been here a few months myself and it's been great.
Post some pics when you get it.

EDIT: Oops, I see you've been here awhile already. :lol:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
MOST EXECLLENT!! AND WELCOME!!

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Congratulations kmoose!.
Hopefully it has been looked after, if it was a company car.
Not sure about overseas, but people are rough with rental cars down under.

Company vehicles in adelaide, tend to be in good condition.
Sometimes people go for demonstrator vehicles.
They will have about 25 to 30,000kms clocked up.
Basically new cars with some mileage, so the dealer knocks the price down.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,599 Posts
Congratulations on your new Escape!!!!!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stone said:
Congratulations kmoose!.
Hopefully it has been looked after, if it was a company car.
Not sure about overseas, but people are rough with rental cars down under.

Company vehicles in adelaide, tend to be in good condition.
Sometimes people go for demonstrator vehicles.
They will have about 25 to 30,000kms clocked up.
Basically new cars with some mileage, so the dealer knocks the price down.
Yeah, before they made disclosure mandatory I bought a 2 year old "company car" from a certain company that sounds a lot like "Podge" that turned out to be an ex rental (it was a "Podge" "Wintrepid") . It had 48,000km on it and was nearly 2 years old so I never suspected it was a rental - usually rentals are current model year with about 20K on them and are pretty basic spec - this had all the kit including moonroof, leather, power everything, etc etc (back in 1995 that stuff wasn't as common). Anyway, after a head gasket, transmission, a/c condenser, front suspension, and a number of other items under warranty, I traded it (at a small loss) before the warranty ran out and learned a very important car buying lesson! I did get to drive a lot of loaner cars, which was nice, but they never offered up a Viper so I took my business elsewhere :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Never really liked that company.....most that Ive been around always seemed to have engine problems...the infamous check engine light that they all had in common...no matter how many times it was taken to the shop....the damn light kept coming back on with another problem.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Always liked the styling, but never again.

Yes, changing the MAP Sensor was as common as changing the oil. When the "Check Engine" light came on you'd think "OK, so $50 for a MAP sensor, let's see if that fixes it". If not, then you pay the dealer to pull the codes. Ironically, it fixed it most of the time.

I've only owned one other Ford - a 1990 Ranger I bought used when I lived in the NWT. It was 6 years old (ironically, the I, not my wife, purchased after the cursed Dodge) and ran like a Tank in 40 below weather. Awesome truck, if it was a bit gutless. But then again, when the only dealer for 300 miles is a Ford dealer, choice is limited. Shout out to Kingland Ford, Hay River NWT!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congratulations! I love that color. I was looking for one in that color but ended up finding a good deal ( I think) on a Silver one.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was seriously debating between it and one that was basically the same (only it had 6,000 more kms on it) in Black Pearl. I figured the Pirates of the Carribean thing would be fun. But I went with the Blue for 3 reasons:

- I have owned 5 blue cars, more than any other colour, and I just like Blue I guess
- I see Black, Black Pearl and Silver Escapes everywhere - nice to have one a little different
- Its a Ford. Shouldn't it be Blue?

I also liked the camel leather. I know it will be a nightmare to keep clean compared to black or grey, but again, it just opens up the interior and seems more luxurious somehow.....well....Jags typically have tan leather, right?

42 hours till pickup.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alley said:
Congratulations! I love that color. I was looking for one in that color but ended up finding a good deal ( I think) on a Silver one.
I do like Silver too! And I'm sure you did get a good deal, or you wouldn't have bought it!

Remember what an old car salesman told me a few years ago - this guy was selling Ramblers back in the 50s, Chryslers in the 60s, Datsuns in the 70s, and Hondas since the 80s. He said the difference between a good deal and a bad deal is a free set of floormats. He said that most deals he saw, and he saw thousands, went out within $100 of each other on the same car - a set of floormats. The key was making the customer "feel" like he got a good deal - but in reality, everybody pays about the same.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stupid question-

How do I post a pic of my new toy?

I absolutely love this vehicle and I've only had it a day. I'm already driving my wife nuts about what I am going to "do" to it. My kids even like it and my older daughter said "well dad, we hated to tell you, but the van was really uncool. This is cool" ... I of course knew the van was uncool, but I thought the kids liked it. Guess not.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts