Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just got a new '03 Silver Escape XLS V6. So far I'm loving it! Having no problems, but do have some questions, and since escape-central.com seems to be dead, I came here :D

Here are some things I was curious about:
-There are tons of places for storage near the driver, what options have you guys found for organizing it?
-I don't have fog lights, but want them... how big of a pain would it be if i bought the stock fog light switch & lights??
-The sun visors suck... are there other options for sun visors that would fit in the escape?
-I've got some rear suspension noise, any ideas on things to check?
-Dash lights aren't too bright, and there is no backlight on the odometer... Anyone have this same issue?
-Nearing 100k miles, anything I should be looking for?

So far, I haven't been doing much more then getting used to it. I put in a replacement head unit and will be putting in an amp and replacement speakers to compliment the HU soon. I'm also looking at getting a hitch put on and looking at some possible performance assisting mods... But for now, any help/advice on the above?? TIA!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Welcome. Check your manual for the list of items which need to be done @ 100K. The following should be minimum:

- Oil change -- since you bought used, you have no idea when it was last done
- tranny fluid flush - immediately -- as this is the weakest link in the powertrain
- New plugs & wires
- Radiator flush
- check air filter
- if 03's have the option of cabin filter, check it

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!

I can't answer all of these, but here's what I can answer. I'm sure you'll get answers for the other stuff!

Fog lamps: Ford made this easy for Escape owners. You only need to order the factory fog lamp switch and a pair of factory fog lamps. Plug them in, and that's it! See this post for the part numbers and prices: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3747&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20#p87733

Instrument cluster: the odometer is lighted by a #37 or #74 bulb. Removing the cluster is easy: remove two bolts from the cluster hood, remove the cluster hood, remove the four bolts securing the cluster, then remove the three electrical connectors (2001-2004 E/M/Ts have three connectors, 2005-2007 have one).

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Lionheart said:
-Dash lights aren't too bright,
You may have already tried this, but just in case you didn't find the dimmer switch it should be to the left of the steering wheel. It's near the covered plug where the fog light button would be, and I think directly below it. If the battery is removed they reset themselves to dim as possible, I prefer mine on maximum brightness.

Congratulations on the Escape purchase!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if that is true about the fog lights, i am sooooo doing that asap! as for the int lighting, I've already got it at the maximum brightness, so i'll have to check the lights as suggested.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,623 Posts
Congratulations on your new Escape!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much! I'm waiting for the weather to stay decent for a weekend so I can get some pics up...

New question:

-does anyone have any mudflaps they'd recommend? i know there are some moulded ones that are about $50 a pair, what are the benefits compared to the regular style?

·
Registered
420 Posts
congrats on ur purchase, i just got mine recently and love it

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Lionheart said:
Thank you very much! I'm waiting for the weather to stay decent for a weekend so I can get some pics up...

New question:

-does anyone have any mudflaps they'd recommend? i know there are some moulded ones that are about $50 a pair, what are the benefits compared to the regular style?
The molded splash guards are always better than the flat splash guards, IMHO. They don't bend, they conform to the wheel openings, and they don't need to be aligned or centered. I'm sure you've seen really bad attempts at flat splash guard installations.

I had the Ford factory splash guards for my 2005 Limited. They were OK, but I stumbled onto a set of Huskys about a year before I sold my Escape, and I never installed them. I'll put them up in the Shop today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few new questions:

My drivers window makes a near painful sounding pop when it gets closed all the way... I'm thinking its one of the metal bars hitting it, but was wondering if anyone has had similar issues??

Was also wondering about front/rear stabilizer bars. Do they exist? Are they available? Do they help? And where would I find one of these creatures? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts