Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 03 Escape XLT this weekend with 102000 miles that looks and drives like it just came off the showroom floor and appears to have been well cared for. The only problem is that the previous owner bought it at 85K and changed the oil 3 times, other than that I have no record of any scheduled maintenance being done.

So I have to assume that nothing has been done and start from scratch. After reading about Mercon vs Mercon V, I decided that the first thing I'll do is a complete fluid change with the V cause who knows what's been done in the past. Changing the plugs sure looks fun, can't wait to tackle that job next. Thanks in advance for all the help to be found on this forum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
welcome to driving an escape :) the Mercon switch is a good idea. Is there anyway to find out if any of the coilpacks have been done ? If youre going to be pulling the intake manifold to do the plugs anyway you may want to consider swapping out the coilpacks back there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've run the VIN thru the dealer where I know it was sold in 03 and also with the dealer who sold it to the last owner. Other than it going in for an ABS recall at 88K, there's no record of any scheduled maintenance. Are the coilpacks a problem or is it tied to plug failure?

·
Registered
85 Posts
the coilpacks themselves are known to go on these things. You can find tons of referances online to peopl having issues related to them failing, the worst of which being a misfire condition that will cause you to burn out your cats (but youll get a check engine long before that happens)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the info. I'm a strong believer in preventative maintenance on my vehicles, although I also follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" doctrine. With that in mind I'll do my fluids, plugs, cleaning TB, etc...but will leave well enough alone until I get a code or something else related to the coil packs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts