Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled onto a new TSB 09-25-3 which covers 4WD and FWD vehicles as well as 2010. I can't take credit for it as I found another post from another site. Here is the quote:

ISSUE:
Some 2009-2010 Escape and Mariner vehicles equipped with a 6F35 automatic transmission may exhibit a single hoot noise on light acceleration from a stop just before the 1-2 shift. This noise will not occur any other time and will not occur under heavy acceleration. On four wheel drive (4WD) vehicles, the noise may be heard at the rear axle due to noise transfer through the rear differential unit (RDU). This is a normal characteristic of the vehicle and does not affect transmission function and/or 4WD function or durability. A revised transaxle chain has been released to reduce this noise.

My 2010 has this hoot. I am not sure what to do. I don't want to bring it in to get fixed if it is nothing more than a noise. But on the flip side the noise should not be there. Plus it only reduces the noise? WTF. How about fix it?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
It maybe making noise, but it isn't broke. I don't fix things that are not broke. ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have sucessfully hooted my Escape two times thus far. I will not be going in for this fix.. It's a 4x4 vehicle and it's going to make a few extra noises because of the extra parts. And as long as the functionality is not effected there is no need for a change.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wonder if the chain really is the root cause of the problem.

Does anyone have a drawing or pictoral of the PTO section?

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I test-drove a 2010 2.5L FWD Limited last weekend.

No hoot, but it was a hoot to drive.

:bill:

·
Registered
7 Posts
so....to fix or not to fix?

is it a problem or just annoying? In my last car (2006 Mustang GT) a smiliar noise ended up being a sticky limited slip differential and there were chunks of LSD clutch in the oil - had the TSB performed - they replace the clutch pack - and it went away.

Is this hoot an indication of a real problem or just a strange noise the differential makes when the rear wheels engage?

I get it all the time - especially when the steering wheel isn't straight when I start moving...I always thought this was somehow related to one of the differentials.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I personally believe the hoot is a harmonic effect. I'm still studying the cause myself though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for posting this, good to know that if it should get irritating enough I can get it "fixed". I've had my 2010 a couple months now and I guess I'm used to it at this point. Like I said in another thread, if it isn't going to affect the function of the vehicle then I'm not bringing my escape in for this. Not worth my time. Turn up the music and put the pedal on the floor! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I agree -- I'm pretty sure that it's a harmonic effect. Those chains usually have some form of random extensions to each tooth. Without them, the chain would emit a constant whine.

My guess is that the new chain has a different pattern.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts