Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the thinking stages for possibly making some modifications to my Escape in the front end. I've gotten in my head that it shouldn't be too bad a project to remove my brush guard, then the bumper cover to add fog lights and install new horns.

For these horns, I want something really loud. I don't want a really high pitched set though, the deeper the better. I seem to remember finding aftermarket horns you could swap out the OEM ones with that were louder, but I have no experience with those or ever heard them.

Does anyone have any experience with OEM switch out horns or have any recommendations? I was considering a Wolo Bad Boy, but just replacing the OEM horns would be a cleaner install.

And while I'm mentioning my OEM set, one of them isn't working, I'm not sure why. I highly suspect a loose or corroded connection. Is all the wiring accessible once the bumper cover is off so I could find the problem and fix it? Even if I don't get a new set, getting both my old ones working would be nice.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I'm also having a problem with the horns on my truck. Just waiting for it to get a little warmer outside and it to stop raining. I'm To put something a little louder.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Air mapper I think I asked you this before but is that bumper grille guard too high up? In MA the Police will give tickets for obstructing headlights if something significantly blocks lights. It looks like it needs to be adjusted down. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ajc6882 said:
Air mapper I think I asked you this before but is that bumper grille guard too high up? In MA the Police will give tickets for obstructing headlights if something significantly blocks lights. It looks like it needs to be adjusted down. :thumb:
Yes I remember responding to your previous comment. I appreciate the heads up. I can't imagine it blocking the lights to that extent, since from my point of view driving I can't discern that it blocks my headlights at all. If it does it's very minor and only on the ground directly in front of the bumper. I'll grant you in that pic in my sig I whacked it on the ground just prior and it is up farther than it would normally be, once I noticed I pulled it back down as it pivots to a degree. I believe it sits well in front of the bumper by design, should I hit anything it will not immediately come into contact with the truck and actually cause damage itself from a minor bump. It's already paid for itself a few times over by saving my front end.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
How much clearance do you have from the guard to the bumper? I have a factory plastic guard but was thinking of getting one like yours. But the plastic guard sticks out about 2 inches. i didnt know if it would fit.

I think you should get some air horns.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hornblasters is awesome, I've laughed so hard watching their videos I've given myself a headache.

I'll probably get me some air horns should I ever get an Xterra. I'd like an onboard compressor and tank for airing the tires and running impact tools, so a horn could run off that easy and fit behind the front rack I want. Should I ever find an Off Road Xterra over time I want to really trick it out. My family has a sort of habit of making vehicles into rolling garages, so I inherited that, we pack our tool boxes and stuff,and when something needs to be worked on we just drive up beside it and start pulling stuff out to work with.

For the Escape some slightly louder normal horns will be fine. Most of it's off road "look" is cosmetic, although I am impressed with what it can do off road considering it's intended capabilities as a mostly "on road" vehicle.

AJ my rack is more snug lower than up high, you might luck up on your stock guard being more narrow than it is, it mounts and comes up from the tow hooks under the bumper. Toward the bottom it's tight enough you couldn't get your hand between it and the bumper cover, so I don't know if your stock one could stay on or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts