Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Members,

the rear differential went out of our 2011 Escape, we are in the process of changing it out but we came across a part number descrepancy with salavge units to use.

the rear diff in our unit is a AL84-4C086-AD (which i can't find thru Ford's search system)

2 salvage units have the part numbers of 9E51-4000-AC (which comes up as the correct part for our vehicle)

Can someone explain what the differences are? Is there any? can i just swap out and go?

thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
AL84-4C086-AD seems like it might the casting for the diff case or something like that, and 9E51-4000-AC is the entire assembly.

I take it that it wasn't just the ring gear or pinion or bearing or seal but a destructive failure or something with the clutch.

That part number seemed familiar to me, and that is because it is the same one for my 2012 Fusion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears an axle seal went and ring/pinion clunked to a stop and have quite a bit of damage. Lots of filings present.

Attached is the SKU / label off of my diff.

the replacement diff (I don't have the picture) but is labeled 9E51-4000-AC.

All i can find is the ratio is a 3.51 - are there any other options? any risk to putting the salvage option in and running it??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I think that as long as long as it isn't from a Hybrid it should be okay. The 2.5 gas and 3.0 only had 3.51 final drive ration available (the manual transmission wasn't available in AWD so it doesn't matter, but it is 4.13 ratio). The Hybrid has 3.04 ratio/

BUT I don't think the rear gear is the only factor in what they call the "final drive ratio" because the same part number for my 2012 Fusion Sport has a final drive ratio of 3.33, but with the 3.0 it is 3.208, and it seems to be the same rear diff, same with the Edge, which had a variety of final drive ratios.

I guess it should be okay from a 2010-2012 Escape, I am not sure if I would count the ring teeth and the pinion teeth and compare or not. That tag seems to indicate it is a 2.93 open rear.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,647 Posts
Sorry your Escape is having issues. First of all, welcome to the City and we are glad you joined us!!! You have already gotten some great advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with the "2.93 open gear" assessment above - 3.51 final drive was not the correct way to state this.

Upon further diving into (and some help from the salvage yard) they found a diff that match the part number I had in mine (per the above photo).
So, we swapped units - first time took a while to figure all the tricks, if there's ever a second time - it will go much faster!!!

Diff is in and we test drove it - have a bit of a "whirl" noise coming from the back end. Tough to tell where exactly with cold snowy roads and winter tires - a lot of noises at once!
Maybe the diff or maybe a wheel bearing ....

I did read talk of sometimes having to scan the sku on diff's - could I be experiencing a need to do this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts