Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 v6 , imported from Japan in 2006 . Been used as a 2nd/3rd car so only 165000k to date . I usually do all

my own servicing but recently some obscure faults have come up that I found baffling , being an old time

mechanic . [ remember carburettors, dynamos , clutches , heaters and manual steering ] . I hope to find

the answers from more up to date techs on this forum.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
436 Posts
2001 v6 , imported from Japan in 2006 . Been used as a 2nd/3rd car so only 165000k to date . I usually do all

my own servicing but recently some obscure faults have come up that I found baffling , being an old time

mechanic . [ remember carburettors, dynamos , clutches , heaters and manual steering ] . I hope to find

the answers from more up to date techs on this forum.
Welcome Kiwi,
We can try to help, but we need to know what the obscure faults are that are coming up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. List the first fault that bugs you and what testing you have done and I sure with the collective experience here, we can help sort your problems.
Thanks for the offer. Most are electrical/electronic and inconsistent which makes tracking difficult . Current ones are : Airbag warning comes on at times for a brief period,
usually 5-10 seconds , while driving over uneven roads . Would appear to be bad connection somewhere , I have tried wriggling what wiring connectors I can reach , but are
loath to unplug and replug incase the airbag fires . No error codes logged.
Sometimes on starting , all gauges kick right through their range and reset to zero. Does not seem to affect anything , just annoying.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Thanks for the offer. Most are electrical/electronic and inconsistent which makes tracking difficult . Current ones are : Airbag warning comes on at times for a brief period,
usually 5-10 seconds , while driving over uneven roads . Would appear to be bad connection somewhere , I have tried wriggling what wiring connectors I can reach , but are
loath to unplug and replug incase the airbag fires . No error codes logged.
Sometimes on starting , all gauges kick right through their range and reset to zero. Does not seem to affect anything , just annoying.
Disconnect your 12 V battery, go through all your connections safely

that it is going off as you go over uneven pavement, it sounds like the weight sensor in the seat is possibly failing…
Is it telling you passenger airbag, or the driver side airbag?
Not repairable, but you can get a replacement seat from a salvage yard maybe. You might become a seat Hunter

I would not be concerned with all of your gauges pegging on start up… I have not seen a race car that did not do that.
Only if it happens after start up.

does the light/warning still come on with a case of your favorite beverage, or your favorite bird in the seat next to you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Disconnect your 12 V battery, go through all your connections safely

that it is going off as you go over uneven pavement, it sounds like the weight sensor in the seat is possibly failing…
Is it telling you passenger airbag, or the driver side airbag?
Not repairable, but you can get a replacement seat from a salvage yard maybe. You might become a seat Hunter

I would not be concerned with all of your gauges pegging on start up… I have not seen a race car that did not do that.
Only if it happens after start up.

does the light/warning still come on with a case of your favorite beverage, or your favorite bird in the seat next to you?
Thanks for the comments . I was unaware that a 2001 would have a seat weight sensor , in any case the error light does not indicate source and no error codes have been logged .
Car is usually driven two up , I will check all connections again and let you know any changes.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Thanks for the comments . I was unaware that a 2001 would have a seat weight sensor , in any case the error light does not indicate source and no error codes have been logged .
Car is usually driven two up , I will check all connections again and let you know any changes.
Have you tried to see if there is a DTC?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes , no codes at all.
All sorted , I hope . I was able to bring up the error light by moving the connector under the drivers seat . Disconnected the battery , waited 10 mins and separated the connector , Cleaned with connector cleaner from JCars and reassembled . No more problems for a couple of weeks . As this is a second car it has a number of drivers so the seat is moved often. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
All sorted , I hope . I was able to bring up the error light by moving the connector under the drivers seat . Disconnected the battery , waited 10 mins and separated the connector , Cleaned with connector cleaner from JCars and reassembled . No more problems for a couple of weeks . As this is a second car it has a number of drivers so the seat is moved often. Thanks for your help.
Thank you for your update, Kiwi… very much appreciate it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts