Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Put in new rear springs+top insulators and new shocks. Result: ride height seems a loss of 1" to 1.5".

All Motorcraft parts. Not very pleased by this.

Top of rear fender arcs should be 34" off level pavement. What else can I look at to get my ride height back?

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
644 Posts
Hi,

Put in new rear springs+top insulators and new shocks. Result: ride height seems a loss of 1" to 1.5".

All Motorcraft parts. Not very pleased by this.

Top of rear fender arcs should be 34" off level pavement. What else can I look at to get my ride height back?
Your money back…
The new springs are going to settle as well… You're going to lose more than that.
I would talk to your parts supplier and ask them what the heck is going on... maybe they sent you front springs?(doesn't seem possible, but maybe they sent you ones for a different year or something)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Can you post the vin and the part numbers of the parts you purchased, and I will check to see if you have the correct parts for your vehicle. Where did you purchase these parts from? Ford parts department would sell by vin.

·
Registered
3.0, 4x4
11 Posts
Sorry to hear this, always disappointing to put time and money into getting negative results.
A few moths back, I replaced all four springs on my 03 with Moog variable rate springs and new isolators. When complete, the truck sat roughly 0.75" higher for a few weeks, until the components settled. Back to sitting 34" now.

MOOG 80656 Front
MOOG 80657 Rear
EDIT: I no longer see the listing for variable rate springs, the above number are for fixed rate.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you post the vin and the part numbers of the parts you purchased, and I will check to see if you have the correct parts for your vehicle. Where did you purchase these parts from? Ford parts department would sell by vin.
Motorcraft no longer makes the exact springs for my 09 XLT. 9L8Z-5560-B were discontinued. You can get only 9M8Z-5560-D now.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Motorcraft no longer makes the exact springs for my 09 XLT. 9L8Z-5560-B were discontinued. You can get only 9M8Z-5560-D now.
I wonder if putting in salvage Hybrid Springs would solve your problem…cheaply
They are rated for more load.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear this, always disappointing to put time and money into getting negative results.
A few moths back, I replaced all four springs on my 03 with Moog variable rate springs and new isolators. When complete, the truck sat roughly 0.75" higher for a few weeks, until the components settled. Back to sitting 34" now.

MOOG 80656 Front
MOOG 80657 Rear
EDIT: I no longer see the listing for variable rate springs, the above number are for fixed rate.
Funny, I asked here about reviews for 80657s and never got a reply. Will Moogs really lift my vehicle from to 34" up from 32.5 to 33?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
What about rear lower control arms?
I don't know that they would be beefier from a hybrid… Easy to figure out with a dial caliper at the yard. ( :

Recommend to measure your OD in the spring perches…
You may need the lower control arms as well(for the spring seat). Unless the vehicle has been an accident, you can replace control arm bushings.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know that they would be beefier from a hybrid… Easy to figure out with a dial caliper at the yard. ( :

Recommend to measure your OD in the spring perches…
You may need the lower control arms as well(for the spring seat). Unless the vehicle has been an accident, you can replace control arm bushings.
My door sticker says 'MMEE' whereas a hybrid says 'MMGG'. I think the only springs available now are for hybrid. OD--outer diameter?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
My door sticker says 'MMEE' whereas a hybrid says 'MMGG'. I think the only springs available now are for hybrid. OD--outer diameter?
Yessir

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I mean, do hybrids sit lower in the back? What IS the correct height from level pavement to underside of rear fender arc?
No, they sit at 34 inches at the rear arch… They just have more static load than a standard escape.(Meaning they will be stiffer)

variable rate Springs are the choice of desert racers, nice if you can get them, but they really don't make a ton of difference in the regular world(unless you are one of the Mario Andrettis on the road)

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Can't figure why hybrid springs wouldn't push the back to 34". I put in new Motorcraft insulators as well. What else controls rear ride height?
Thats it, Springs control your ride height, shocks dampen the action.

if you were three link suspension in the rear, you could adjust the torsion bars… But I don't think they're on our cars

I have seen recent posts of the top mounts rusting out… How do yours look?

only other thing that can affect ride height is overall tire/wheel diameter… didn't go smaller in tire size to get some thing a little bit less expensive did you?
That doesn't hurt anything(will affect your mileage/speedometer), so long as you run all four the same. I run standard size in the summer, I run a 225 6516 in the winter.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Yo, The easiest error I could see occurring, That also explains what is going on...
is they sent you front springs, not rear.
There is a natural rake to the unloaded vehicle I have heard people complain about… That actually makes sense

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yo, The easiest error I could see occurring, That also explains what is going on...
is they sent you front springs, not rear.
There is a natural rake to the unloaded vehicle I have heard people complain about… That actually makes sense
Springs were rears, 9M8Z-5560-D, and tagged such. The rake is still there, but seems slightly lower. Not levelled, though.

One thing I have noticed: parking brake when engaged seems to bind down the back end if the vehicle rolls forward a bit and rear P-brake shoes grab. Happened on my old Taurus too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats it, Springs control your ride height, shocks dampen the action.

I have seen recent posts of the top mounts rusting out… How do yours look?

only other thing that can affect ride height is overall tire/wheel diameter… didn't go smaller in tire size to get some thing a little bit less expensive did you?
That doesn't hurt anything(will affect your mileage/speedometer), so long as you run all four the same. I run standard size in the summer, I run a 225 6516 in the winter.
No rust in back. 265/70R/16.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Yeah, Mine does the ride height change when doing tire, or axle work in the driveway. Especially if you set the emergency brake.… Preload tension releases though, once you disengage the parking/emergency brake-take the car out of park.

Part numbers get switched sometimes… anytime you are installing parts, always compare side-by-side…first
Always make sure you got apples to apples.

especially with electronics or wheels...
if you don't do your homework before install,
you will not get any money back.

something is obviously askew, if you can't return the new springs, most inexpensive alternative is a salvage yard.

at least your old springs were at the correct ride height..right? I don't remember, why did you replace them?

If you have not discarded them yet, break out a machinists square/carpenter T square, and a tape measure. To truly know if you can swap you have to measure every possible angle. The distance between every bolt head… And the placement of any clamps/fittings … Anything that applies to other systems, like a brake line

Non-loaded dimensions for the spring often remain the same regardless of model. (this is why you can't tell trim levels apart on the road… Unless you know what badging to look for)

all I'm saying is measure once, cut twice.
lol
Sorry, I think I'm funny. The saying is the other way...You will get this figured out, my friend

you really need to contact your seller, and tell them you need a return. Most returns are time sensitive, if nothing else. You don't have to return them tomorrow, just contact the seller and start the process

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Wow, based on your tire size, I would think you would be 35+ inches at the rear arch?

they sent you the wrong parts man… You would have to have severely bent arms, or hammered unibody… Rolled over… For what you are measuring..
That's a little crazy man

it is too late for me to do tire formulas… but I will tell you what your overall diameter differences between what you're running, and stock, tomorrow
lol- I am sure you know

29 to a 33?!
I am guessing you rub on tight turns, off pavement, and going over occasional sidewalk curbs..

no offense ( : or too your vehicle

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.