Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Put in new rear springs+top insulators and new shocks. Result: ride height seems a loss of 1" to 1.5".

All Motorcraft parts. Not very pleased by this.

Top of rear fender arcs should be 34" off level pavement. What else can I look at to get my ride height back?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you post the vin and the part numbers of the parts you purchased, and I will check to see if you have the correct parts for your vehicle. Where did you purchase these parts from? Ford parts department would sell by vin.
Motorcraft no longer makes the exact springs for my 09 XLT. 9L8Z-5560-B were discontinued. You can get only 9M8Z-5560-D now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear this, always disappointing to put time and money into getting negative results.
A few moths back, I replaced all four springs on my 03 with Moog variable rate springs and new isolators. When complete, the truck sat roughly 0.75" higher for a few weeks, until the components settled. Back to sitting 34" now.

MOOG 80656 Front
MOOG 80657 Rear
EDIT: I no longer see the listing for variable rate springs, the above number are for fixed rate.
Funny, I asked here about reviews for 80657s and never got a reply. Will Moogs really lift my vehicle from to 34" up from 32.5 to 33?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know that they would be beefier from a hybrid… Easy to figure out with a dial caliper at the yard. ( :

Recommend to measure your OD in the spring perches…
You may need the lower control arms as well(for the spring seat). Unless the vehicle has been an accident, you can replace control arm bushings.
My door sticker says 'MMEE' whereas a hybrid says 'MMGG'. I think the only springs available now are for hybrid. OD--outer diameter?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yo, The easiest error I could see occurring, That also explains what is going on...
is they sent you front springs, not rear.
There is a natural rake to the unloaded vehicle I have heard people complain about… That actually makes sense
Springs were rears, 9M8Z-5560-D, and tagged such. The rake is still there, but seems slightly lower. Not levelled, though.

One thing I have noticed: parking brake when engaged seems to bind down the back end if the vehicle rolls forward a bit and rear P-brake shoes grab. Happened on my old Taurus too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats it, Springs control your ride height, shocks dampen the action.

I have seen recent posts of the top mounts rusting out… How do yours look?

only other thing that can affect ride height is overall tire/wheel diameter… didn't go smaller in tire size to get some thing a little bit less expensive did you?
That doesn't hurt anything(will affect your mileage/speedometer), so long as you run all four the same. I run standard size in the summer, I run a 225 6516 in the winter.
No rust in back. 265/70R/16.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't get your math. use the numbers of the tire you are running in the parentheses…

Make sure you use a decimal point on your aspect ratio.

here is a tire size calculator:
(265) divided by 25.4 {= width}x (.70) x 2 + (16){= tire OD}

You essentially run a 31 x 10.50 inch tire
Stock is 30x9

they use these numbers as a rough estimate, very rarely do the numbers actually match height, and width.
A lot of 33 inch tires are actually 31 1/2… A lot of 35s are actually 33 1/2

I have friends who paid more money for 35 inch tires, but side-by-side no one would guess that mine are labeled 33. the visual difference is nominal.

this is all individual to manufacturer… A good website will actually tell you the tires OD, beyond what is molded into the sidewall
What do tires have to do with springs?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Are you not remembering your questions?
Go back a few a few posts

That is incorrect.
\
"you said you were running oversize tires"

No, I said I have 265/70R/16 which is the size for this vehicle.

"If you went back to stock size tires, your wheel well arch would be even lower…"

The distance between tops of rear tire and wheel well arch is shorter.

" you've got wrong parts."

Ford no longer makes the springs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A hybrid vehicle's rear springs will always be stiffer and slightly taller to compensate for the additional weight of the battery pack, compared to a non-hybrid vehicle. Will hybrid to a non-hybrid spring fit? It should, it's the same body.

What is the YMM and engine size? And I'll see if the springs are interchangeable. A vin works best.
Hi, sent you a PM! Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts