Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
492 Posts
Hi,

Put in new rear springs+top insulators and new shocks. Result: ride height seems a loss of 1" to 1.5".

All Motorcraft parts. Not very pleased by this.

Top of rear fender arcs should be 34" off level pavement. What else can I look at to get my ride height back?
Your money back…
The new springs are going to settle as well… You're going to lose more than that.
I would talk to your parts supplier and ask them what the heck is going on... maybe they sent you front springs?(doesn't seem possible, but maybe they sent you ones for a different year or something)

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Motorcraft no longer makes the exact springs for my 09 XLT. 9L8Z-5560-B were discontinued. You can get only 9M8Z-5560-D now.
I wonder if putting in salvage Hybrid Springs would solve your problem…cheaply
They are rated for more load.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
What about rear lower control arms?
I don't know that they would be beefier from a hybrid… Easy to figure out with a dial caliper at the yard. ( :

Recommend to measure your OD in the spring perches…
You may need the lower control arms as well(for the spring seat). Unless the vehicle has been an accident, you can replace control arm bushings.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
My door sticker says 'MMEE' whereas a hybrid says 'MMGG'. I think the only springs available now are for hybrid. OD--outer diameter?
Yessir

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I mean, do hybrids sit lower in the back? What IS the correct height from level pavement to underside of rear fender arc?
No, they sit at 34 inches at the rear arch… They just have more static load than a standard escape.(Meaning they will be stiffer)

variable rate Springs are the choice of desert racers, nice if you can get them, but they really don't make a ton of difference in the regular world(unless you are one of the Mario Andrettis on the road)

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Can't figure why hybrid springs wouldn't push the back to 34". I put in new Motorcraft insulators as well. What else controls rear ride height?
Thats it, Springs control your ride height, shocks dampen the action.

if you were three link suspension in the rear, you could adjust the torsion bars… But I don't think they're on our cars

I have seen recent posts of the top mounts rusting out… How do yours look?

only other thing that can affect ride height is overall tire/wheel diameter… didn't go smaller in tire size to get some thing a little bit less expensive did you?
That doesn't hurt anything(will affect your mileage/speedometer), so long as you run all four the same. I run standard size in the summer, I run a 225 6516 in the winter.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Yo, The easiest error I could see occurring, That also explains what is going on...
is they sent you front springs, not rear.
There is a natural rake to the unloaded vehicle I have heard people complain about… That actually makes sense

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
No rust in back. 265/70R/16.
Yeah, Mine does the ride height change when doing tire, or axle work in the driveway. Especially if you set the emergency brake.… Preload tension releases though, once you disengage the parking/emergency brake-take the car out of park.

Part numbers get switched sometimes… anytime you are installing parts, always compare side-by-side…first
Always make sure you got apples to apples.

especially with electronics or wheels...
if you don't do your homework before install,
you will not get any money back.

something is obviously askew, if you can't return the new springs, most inexpensive alternative is a salvage yard.

at least your old springs were at the correct ride height..right? I don't remember, why did you replace them?

If you have not discarded them yet, break out a machinists square/carpenter T square, and a tape measure. To truly know if you can swap you have to measure every possible angle. The distance between every bolt head… And the placement of any clamps/fittings … Anything that applies to other systems, like a brake line

Non-loaded dimensions for the spring often remain the same regardless of model. (this is why you can't tell trim levels apart on the road… Unless you know what badging to look for)

all I'm saying is measure once, cut twice.
lol
Sorry, I think I'm funny. The saying is the other way...You will get this figured out, my friend

you really need to contact your seller, and tell them you need a return. Most returns are time sensitive, if nothing else. You don't have to return them tomorrow, just contact the seller and start the process

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
No rust in back. 265/70R/16.
Wow, based on your tire size, I would think you would be 35+ inches at the rear arch?

they sent you the wrong parts man… You would have to have severely bent arms, or hammered unibody… Rolled over… For what you are measuring..
That's a little crazy man

it is too late for me to do tire formulas… but I will tell you what your overall diameter differences between what you're running, and stock, tomorrow
lol- I am sure you know

29 to a 33?!
I am guessing you rub on tight turns, off pavement, and going over occasional sidewalk curbs..

no offense ( : or too your vehicle

·
Premium Member
492 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
If it's a 265/70R/16, then my overall tire height is 16" rim + 5.5" tire (2x70mm) = 21.5".
I don't get your math. use the numbers of the tire you are running in the parentheses…

Make sure you use a decimal point on your aspect ratio.

here is a tire size calculator:
(265) divided by 25.4 {= width}x (.70) x 2 + (16){= tire OD}

You essentially run a 31 x 10.50 inch tire
Stock is 30x9

they use these numbers as a rough estimate, very rarely do the numbers actually match height, and width.
A lot of 33 inch tires are actually 31 1/2… A lot of 35s are actually 33 1/2

I have friends who paid more money for 35 inch tires, but side-by-side no one would guess that mine are labeled 33. the visual difference is nominal.

this is all individual to manufacturer… A good website will actually tell you the tires OD, beyond what is molded into the sidewall

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
What do tires have to do with springs?
Are you not remembering your questions?
Go back a few a few posts

you asked what all things can effect ride height. I answered you. I asked if you had possibly bought shorter than stock tires to save money.

you said you were running oversize tires, and you put up some math formula
If it's a 265/70R/16, then my overall tire height is 16" rim + 5.5" tire (2x70mm) = 21.5"
That is incorrect.

running tires that are 2 inches larger than stock, should raise your wheel wells to 36".

If you went back to stock size tires, your wheel well arch would be even lower…

Still leading me to believe you've got wrong parts.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
No, I said I have 265/70R/16 which is the size for this vehicle.
Incorrect.
I don't know where you are getting your info.
Look at the sticker on your door jamb, look up your vehicle on tire rack.
Stock size is 235/70/16, every trim level.
You may have bought it with oversized tires, but they are.
Perhaps previous owner had installed lift springs, and you have just gone back to stock height springs, believing you were stock.

that is the only answer that makes sense, my friend.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
So, who makes lift springs?
Magic 8 ball has your answer.
Check ebay too, look for free shipping. The only company I am familiar with is OME, very reputable.

I would recommend variable rate springs, if available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts