Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new on here..I have to say that this site has been extremely informative!!! I also have a question..I am buying an 01 Escape 3.0L 4x4..I am picking it up on Friday actually (was supposed to be LAST Friday but just before I picked it up both the front manifold converter assy and the rear cat just after the flex section clogged up solid..luckily they are going to fix it with OEM parts @ no cost to me)..its got 130k on it which is pretty high (its in great shape though) and I have researched common problems and the only one that really worries me is the somewhat common CD4E transmission problems...I am just curious if anyone has found ways to head off perspective problems and for preventative maintenance (i.e. fluid additives or anything else)...I was also wondering if I should upgrade the transmission cooler with an aftermarket one? Or is the factory one (if it has one) sufficient? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!! Oh and pics of my Escape will be up soon! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
A very warm welcome to you and I wish you many happy miles with your new vehicle.Now...
1/Most probably your 2001 V6 does not have a factory transmission cooler.To put or not to put one depends on the usage of the vehicle.If you are making daily short trips with traffic, then putting one is worth it as long as you can afford it.If it has a cooler I would not put an extra one unless I was preparing to hit the track.
2/Soon after you get hold of the vehicle, have the transmission oil changed at a legitimate place following the manufacturer's instructions, or you can do it yourself even better by asking for instructions here.It is an easy job, just a little time consuming.
3/Myself, I use Lucas transmission conditioner and I am very satisfied.
4/Easy on the acceleration pedal at the beginning until you are certain that the transmission is in good shape.
Welcome again and good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If your Escape has the factory tow package, it has a factory transmission cooler and will work just fine. Also, have a Ford dealer run your VIN # and be sure that all recall work was done including the transmission software reflash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.