Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I bought a 2001 Escape XLT with 105k the other day and i have to say so far, i love this thing!
and i have a few questions and this was one of the friendliest places i could find on the internet. The truck didn't come with the owners manual or anything so i'm turning to you guys for help. First, is this front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? i've heard both and i am unsure. it does have Auto 4x4 (which it is always in) and 4x4 on the dash, which brings me to my next question of how to engage full time 4x4. i know on my family's '96 Explorer you have to be in neutral to engage it. is it the same with the Escape? Another question i have is about the stock CD player. it reads CD ERROR when i try to insert a cd or hit the Eject button to see if anything is inside it. should i take it out and see if its jammed and try to fix it? or just replace it with a stock one if its no good? or would it be better and cheaper to replace it with a new head unit that has an aux jack or usb port too?
thanks in advance for the help everyone. this is a great website and hopefully i will be able to do my part and contribute in the future!
-Joe

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Welcome to the city Joe :welcome:

joehadams said:
this was one of the friendliest places i could find on the internet.
Thanks, we try to be. :D

The truck didn't come with the owners manual
I searched the forums and found this link someone posted once: LINK

First, is this front wheel drive or rear wheel drive?
It is a full time front wheel drive. One fun way to test it is punch the gas and listen for what wheels spin, I like to double check every once in a while to make sure. :lol:

it does have Auto 4x4 (which it is always in) and 4x4 on the dash, which brings me to my next question of how to engage full time 4x4. i know on my family's '96 Explorer you have to be in neutral to engage it. is it the same with the Escape?
Auto 4x4 will engage all the time based on wheel slippage and will kick in when needed. 4x4 mode sends 50% of your power to the rear and overrides the automatic, so in this mode both front and rear are getting power. This will also light up the 4x4 light on the instrument panel.

You can throw this switch at any time you are driving at a reasonably slow speed (I think it's 50mph, but I'd go a little slower.) it will engage and disengage on the fly without the need to stop.

Don't know much about the other questions but I'm sure someone will chime in. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Now I'm second guessing myself, out of my own curiosity has there ever been a full time rear wheel drive Escape? I seem to be thinking there was some models that were rear wheel primarily.

I'm pretty sure your 2001 is front wheel drive, but now I'm not 100% sure just because I remembered thinking there did exist a V6 rear wheel drive/ 4x4 Escape for some reason.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
No Airmapper... There was never a factory rear drive Escape. (I've never heard of a custom one either.) You either have all front wheel drive or a primarily front wheel drive all-wheel drive system where the rear wheels will kick in when they sense front wheel slippage.

Welcome to the boards Joe. Hopefully we can help you out. :) Be careful with the 4x4 setting on the dash. It's primarily for slick surfaces. The manual says not to use it on dry surfaces because you can cause damage. Also, the 4x4 mode doesn't work well in reverse. It can bind and make some nasty noises. I read one thread where someone thought they broke their transfer case by backing up in 4x4 mode. If you would like to read more about the 01-04 4x4 system, click here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome Joe!

See the link below for a Car and Driver article about the 2001 Escape - they've got a lot of nice things to say about it, and give a pretty good explanation of how the 4-wheel drive works, too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car ... -road_test

Not sure about your CD error - I've got the 6-disc player and when I get that message the player is trying to eject a CD (the door opens and you can see it start to come out). When it happens, it's always with CDs that have a sticker label on the top. The sticker makes it took thick to eject. I use tweezers or the the cap to a pen to push the top of the CD down when it's ejecting and it comes out. Don't know if this sounds similar to what's happening to yours or not, but thought I would mention it.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Airmapper said:
RobtRoma said:
No Airmapper... There was never a factory rear drive Escape. (I've never heard of a custom one either.)
Ok, thanks. Don't know where I came up with that.
Maybe it was part of a dream where Escapes had 6 speed manual transmissions with v6 motors, locking differentials and 4wd low... :drool: ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the help guys. i will definitely read up on the 4x4 usage and what not. the last thing i need is to screw up the tranny on this thing. and as far as the cd player goes, it says that all 6 slots are full so i have to see if i can figure out a way to force eject the discs (if there are any in there after all). i also noticed tonight that my high beams are pointing in different directions ( one up and one out). small things like this are leading me to believe that this Escape had some front end damage...

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
L_Mac said:
See the link below... [they] give a pretty good explanation of how the 4-wheel drive works, too.
LOL... that's the same article I quoted in my webpage link :thumb:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
joehadams said:
thanks for all the help guys. i will definitely read up on the 4x4 usage and what not.
Glad we could help :thumb: Auto is what you want to leave it in unless you are going through deep snow/mud or are doing some semi serious off-roading. I found my Escape can get a little tail happy in snow with the setting on 4x4...

joehadams said:
...as far as the cd player goes, it says that all 6 slots are full so i have to see if i can figure out a way to force eject the discs (if there are any in there after all).
My CD player will jam when it gets hot. The motor will sound like it's trying to eject a CD but it won't. Sometimes I get a partial eject. I can see the CD but I can't actually pull it out. I have to get tweezers to pull it out. If the radio is cold and hasn't been used for a while, I don't have a problem....

If you try to play the CD's that are in there, do you hear anything? If not, I would probably look into getting a new head unit. I wouldn't get an OEM though... too costly for what you get. I'd definitely look into the aftermarket. You can get a bunch of nifty features like aux jacks, iPod integration, navigation, etc...

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,623 Posts
Welcome to the city!!!!!!!!!!!!! :peace:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
RobtRoma said:
Airmapper said:
RobtRoma said:
No Airmapper... There was never a factory rear drive Escape. (I've never heard of a custom one either.)
Ok, thanks. Don't know where I came up with that.
Maybe it was part of a dream where Escapes had 6 speed manual transmissions with v6 motors, locking differentials and 4wd low... :drool: ;)
What are you doing in MY dreams?!?!?! Maybe we were both 4 wheeling.....

joehadams, welcome to the boards! I would recommend, like Rob suggested, if you cannot get the CDs withdrawn from your factory head unit that you simply get an aftermarket one. I've installed at least half a dozen headunits from Crutchfield in the past 5 years, they offer install kits and instructions with every unit sold and I've had hardly any problems (4 Fords no problem, 3 GMs- problems with every one of them lol). Good luck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
joehadams said:
i also noticed tonight that my high beams are pointing in different directions ( one up and one out). small things like this are leading me to believe that this Escape had some front end damage...
Ohh dear, I hope this is not the case! I could have sworn there is a few sites out there that you can type in your VIN and get the history on it. Well if they reported any accidents it should show up

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea i think i'm gonna check out http://www.carfax.com/ and see if it turns up as being in an accident or not.
and here is another simple, stupid question, Rear window washer...is there a separate tank in the back of the escape or does it feed right from the main one under the hood? because i cant get any fluid to the back window what so ever

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
joehadams said:
Rear window washer...is there a separate tank in the back of the escape or does it feed right from the main one under the hood? because i cant get any fluid to the back window what so ever
It feeds from the tank under the hood. Do you hear a pump when you try to wash the rear window? If you do, it might be that the jet is plugged by dirt or there might be a kink or hole in the feed line. If not, the pump may have failed or you might have blown a fuse...

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Ajax said:
What are you doing in MY dreams?!?!?! Maybe we were both 4 wheeling.....
:lol: I was definately 4 wheeling :D :thumb:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts