Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking as I went out to start my Mom's 2008 Escape today....could you buy one of the new keys with the keyless entry built in from a dealership, and then program it to work with the older escapes that had the separate key fob? I wonder if they use the same system, and if the PATS system is the same.... as you'd have to reprogram the new key as well....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
Yes, you can use the new integrated key, but try to program it before you have it cut, and make sure that you can return it if it doesn't program correctly.

If programming doesn't work, the key system may be "full", so reset it and have it learn each key again.

:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
jpark said:
Yes, you can use the new integrated key, but try to program it before you have it cut, and make sure that you can return it if it doesn't program correctly.

If programming doesn't work, the key system may be "full", so reset it and have it learn each key again.

:thumb:
OK, JP, I've never disagreed with you before on anything technical, but I have 2 issues here:

1. Assuming that you are correct that the new integrated key will work in an older model (see number 2, I don't think so), you need to get a plain key cut and try the new key (after programming) by holding the head next to the headless key. Otherwise, how are you going to try an uncut key?

2. I did EXTENSIVE research in trying to find an integrated key for my 2003 and the best I could come up with was the switchblade.

I HOPE I'M WRONG - I WANT AN INTEGRATED KEY!

JP?

-SPARKZZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
that looks like a lazer cut VW wannabe key HAHA
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
prowler said:
jpark said:
Yes, you can use the new integrated key, but try to program it before you have it cut, and make sure that you can return it if it doesn't program correctly.

If programming doesn't work, the key system may be "full", so reset it and have it learn each key again.

:thumb:
OK, JP, I've never disagreed with you before on anything technical, but I have 2 issues here:

1. Assuming that you are correct that the new integrated key will work in an older model (see number 2, I don't think so), you need to get a plain key cut and try the new key (after programming) by holding the head next to the headless key. Otherwise, how are you going to try an uncut key?
To program the keyless entry part of the key, you don't need to have the key in the ignition.

prowler said:
2. I did EXTENSIVE research in trying to find an integrated key for my 2003 and the best I could come up with was the switchblade.
Well, that's what they'll list for a 2003, since it didn't have integrated RKE. But the electronics in the key are the same, including the ignition lockout chip.

prowler said:
I HOPE I'M WRONG - I WANT AN INTEGRATED KEY!

JP?

-SPARKZZ
See if you can find someone locally who has one of the new keys. Try to make your RKE "learn" that key (then you can reset it and add your existing keys again later). To test if the the key works in the ignition, have a copy made of your existing key to a really old Ford key (without the chip in the key), then test it in the ignition with the integrated key right next to it.

It should work.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
I asked this same question when the new integrated keys first came out, and I was told "no". All the chips are the same, but aren't the new keys cut differently (i.e., the "ridge" along the side of the key is in a different spot)?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
Methinks they're the same. Lemme dig up one of my old keys later...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Since we're all talking about keys here!! ANyone have a good place to buy a plain older style coded key? i picked one off Ebay for like $9, but it didn't program. Looking for a more reputable source then China. Since I installed the alarm system I don't need the integral key. Anyone, Anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Those keys are available from a locksmith, or maybe even the dealer. If you have 2 working keys, just have them cut the key and save some money by programming it yourself.

The Strattec number is 599114, a very popular Ford key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
the thread is old but i'm also interested in a switchblade key or something else to have the key and the remote in one key.

has someone tried to cut off the "Plastic Socket/Frame" where the key is plugged in?
if this plastic won't be there we can use any key or am i wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
the new keys will work for the older trucks. i have an an 2006 Escape and have the 2008+ style of key for it. the only thing that you have to watch is the key "shank" length. on my 2006 it has the ignition "handle" around the hole, i you get a factory dealer 2008+ escape key the key shank will be the same size as the non-keypad keys and will not fit all the way in to the ingnition due to the larger plastic housing. you need ti find a key that is a bit longer i belive the key i have is for the newer f150/edge/fusions heres a pic to show you what i mean. when i get home i will take a pic of my key compared to a 2008+ escape key
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
i saw this key but with electronic the key costs more than 100$ and with shipping to Germany it's a bit expensive if don't know 100% that the key will work...

so the easiest way will be to remove the plastic from the ignition lock but i think that is impossible.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top