Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i decided my last box wasnt loud enough, so im going to put in a 200+ lb box thats double layered and has concrete reinforcement. any comments, questions, or tips about this or competing in spl?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
AudioEscape03 said:
well, i decided my last box wasnt loud enough, so im going to put in a 200+ lb box thats double layered and has concrete reinforcement. any comments, questions, or tips about this or competing in spl?
Find your resonant frequency, graph it out, build your new box to the peak. Like I said the first time :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fourthmeal said:
AudioEscape03 said:
well, i decided my last box wasnt loud enough, so im going to put in a 200+ lb box thats double layered and has concrete reinforcement. any comments, questions, or tips about this or competing in spl?
Find your resonant frequency, graph it out, build your new box to the peak. Like I said the first time :)
I would have loved for the box to be built for my escape but it was built for a chevy Blazer and was hitting like 153db in it with a single 18
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
AudioEscape03 said:
fourthmeal said:
AudioEscape03 said:
well, i decided my last box wasnt loud enough, so im going to put in a 200+ lb box thats double layered and has concrete reinforcement. any comments, questions, or tips about this or competing in spl?
Find your resonant frequency, graph it out, build your new box to the peak. Like I said the first time :)
I would have loved for the box to be built for my escape but it was built for a chevy Blazer and was hitting like 153db in it with a single 18
Now's your chance to do it the way you want to, by measuring this vehicle and finding the hot spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have loved for the box to be built for my escape but it was built for a chevy Blazer and was hitting like 153db in it with a single 18[/quote]

Now's your chance to do it the way you want to, by measuring this vehicle and finding the hot spot.[/quote]

i know but the box has already been built, it was for the blazer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
okay so this is possibly shameful :shrug: but i was sound testing some 12's at a few local stores ( i'm about ready to start my system build project ) and i was thinking about buying some sony xplod subwoofers. they are pretty cheap and they sounded pretty good to me ( but maybe i don't know the difference? ). I'm planning on building one box for a 12 and then eventually another box for another 12 when i get some more free cash if i feel it is necessary. I was planning on making it vented. Any suggestions on the building process? and Yes it's the sony subs at walmart for $68 :tumble:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I'm sure fourthmeal is going to have a much more in depth explanation for you but one thing to remember is that what you're hearing at the Wal-Mart display is not exactly what you're going to hear in your car. The reverberation inside your car is going to shape the sound differently than the open area in Wally world. Also, and it's been years since I went to wally's but I'm pretty sure, you aren't going to be allowed to really PUSH that sub in the display without having a sales nazi all over you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
oh no i pushed it dude... it was at like 11 o clock last night and no one was around. It thumped decent for the case it was in ( not vented and in a tin box with another sub right above it ). That thing was moving. I will definitely wait for some feedback though. I know the general opinion is that sony woofers aren't that good but it did sound decent to me and got some decent reviews. Maybe sony just got a bad rep for some of their earlier products or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it.

Excursion on a Sony sub is dismal, and distortion sets in really early. There are better subs for less out there. Off the top of my head, http://www.meniscusaudio.com probably still has some Polk audio 10" subs on closeout for $50 each. These suckers are amazing in a ported box made correctly. That's just one of MANY possibilities.

Sony is not a player in the car audio game, at least not on a level I would deem as "good"

IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Pushing this a step further:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Xplod-XS ... r/12016333

that's the sub, right? Looking for specs to measure now...

LOL, unfortunately I can't even tell you how to build a box for it because Sony refuses to supply the T/S specs necessary, even on their website and even in the manual. All you can tell is how much power it mystically handles, and how deep it is and that's about it. Fair to say if they are not privy enough to post the needed specs, you run away. It would be impossible to figure it out unless you had a ~$100 subwoofer measurement tool, at which point you should have spent that $100 on better subs anyway.

http://meniscusaudio.com/polk-subwoofer-p-825.html

I would vote one or two of these off the top of my head.

Here's some other nice ones:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PPI-POWERCLASS-12-S ... 27b42c7584

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-JBL-GT512-12-11 ... 35aa2c2a91

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INFINITY-1262W- ... 35abeb8b89

http://cgi.ebay.com/RWE302-MB-Quart-12- ... 19bead3bf1

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-GTO1214D-CAR-12 ... 5d2a5a1f93
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zepp774 said:
okay so this is possibly shameful :shrug: but i was sound testing some 12's at a few local stores ( i'm about ready to start my system build project ) and i was thinking about buying some sony xplod subwoofers. they are pretty cheap and they sounded pretty good to me ( but maybe i don't know the difference? ). I'm planning on building one box for a 12 and then eventually another box for another 12 when i get some more free cash if i feel it is necessary. I was planning on making it vented. Any suggestions on the building process? and Yes it's the sony subs at walmart for $68 :tumble:
i dont like to down other brands, but by all means PLEASE avoid sony subs, if you want alot of bass that is. they sound fine in a sealed box with low power but if you wish to be in spl like me, i highly recomend some American Bass product, or Sundown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Okay i am heeding the warning. Especially since some of those other prices fourthmeal posted are much more competitive. It could be that =same polk 10 you posted they haveat not-so-Best Buy on display. i was just listening to it there and it sounds good but i think i need a 12. the polk 12 in they had was nice though just wayyy overpriced. I was about to buy a box of 2 12's mtx's for 100 bucks off of craigslist but i'm pretty sure they are stolen and that's just not goin to work for me. I definitely need something that will hit hard for my gospel rap. Not a big fan of kickers though... just something about them doesn't sound good to me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zepp774 said:
Okay i am heeding the warning. Especially since some of those other prices fourthmeal posted are much more competitive. It could be that =same polk 10 you posted they haveat not-so-Best Buy on display. i was just listening to it there and it sounds good but i think i need a 12. the polk 12 in they had was nice though just wayyy overpriced. I was about to buy a box of 2 12's mtx's for 100 bucks off of craigslist but i'm pretty sure they are stolen and that's just not goin to work for me. I definitely need something that will hit hard for my gospel rap. Not a big fan of kickers though... just something about them doesn't sound good to me
yeah i dont like alot of Kicker product, but they do have some nice things but its all high end things like the L7 subwoofer if you buy several and they have a Warhorse amplifier that produces 10K watts @ 2ohm. which is pretty impressive, but for around $4,000 its nothing. American bass has an amp that produces 12K watts for around $3200. and you may want to look up http://www.onlinecarstereo.com because its a great place for audio equipment. I personally love Alpine Type-R subwoofers for daily listning subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Zepp774 said:
Okay i am heeding the warning. Especially since some of those other prices fourthmeal posted are much more competitive. It could be that =same polk 10 you posted they haveat not-so-Best Buy on display. i was just listening to it there and it sounds good but i think i need a 12. the polk 12 in they had was nice though just wayyy overpriced. I was about to buy a box of 2 12's mtx's for 100 bucks off of craigslist but i'm pretty sure they are stolen and that's just not goin to work for me. I definitely need something that will hit hard for my gospel rap. Not a big fan of kickers though... just something about them doesn't sound good to me
Those polk subs are home theater subs, you did not see them at Best buy or anywhere other than where I linked you to. But Polk is a decent brand if you want to go with something from a store around you. Not going to find retail Polks sitting at $50 though. I got lucky finding that link to that closeout special buy, that's what I try to do all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, this ones mainly goin out to fourthmeal, but anyone can answer if they want. But im having some issues with the box I think. after having the concrete box for 1 day, my sub has blown. and I believe its because the box is too big. but anyway, its 4 cubes and the port is prety freakin huge. but its firing at the back hatch and its got a 3K watt amp on it. I didnt even burn up the coil, its fine. However, the suspensions popped and it can still play, im pretty sure its still hitting aroun 145db even though the suspension in it is broken.

Its a beastly sub, heres the specs- http://americanbassusa.com/front/showco ... fileid=227

I could really use some help. any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
hey thanks for that info guys. I'm really grateful to have some people who know their stuff! I love that onlinecarstereo.com website. found some nice pioneer 12's for a good deal there... good stuff. I'm ressurrecting my old system build thread!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Zepp774 said:
hey thanks for that info guys. I'm really grateful to have some people who know their stuff! I love that onlinecarstereo.com website. found some nice pioneer 12's for a good deal there... good stuff. I'm ressurrecting my old system build thread!
carefull with what you buy, look up the equipment and read reviews from people who have had things that are stronger. usually when someone has a system, they think that THEIRS is the LOUDEST thing ever and sounds the best. the reviews on Onlinecarstereo.com all usually pretty much the same but try googling for a real forum about the amp or subs before you buy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
AudioEscape03 said:
Hey, this ones mainly goin out to fourthmeal, but anyone can answer if they want. But im having some issues with the box I think. after having the concrete box for 1 day, my sub has blown. and I believe its because the box is too big. but anyway, its 4 cubes and the port is prety freakin huge. but its firing at the back hatch and its got a 3K watt amp on it. I didnt even burn up the coil, its fine. However, the suspensions popped and it can still play, im pretty sure its still hitting aroun 145db even though the suspension in it is broken.

Its a beastly sub, heres the specs- http://americanbassusa.com/front/showco ... fileid=227

I could really use some help. any suggestions?
Best guess is that the subwoofer unloaded because the port tuning frequency has not been figured out, and you haven't set an infrasonic filter to block the lower frequencies than the port tuning frequency. Remember, when playing below the port tune frequency, a ported box behaves like a free air sub and flops around. This will kill it in seconds.

Solution, find the port tune, set your amp to play only above that, OR build a box that correctly hits the tune you want.

And now I think you know why I think SPL boxes are stupid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fourthmeal said:
AudioEscape03 said:
Hey, this ones mainly goin out to fourthmeal, but anyone can answer if they want. But im having some issues with the box I think. after having the concrete box for 1 day, my sub has blown. and I believe its because the box is too big. but anyway, its 4 cubes and the port is prety freakin huge. but its firing at the back hatch and its got a 3K watt amp on it. I didnt even burn up the coil, its fine. However, the suspensions popped and it can still play, im pretty sure its still hitting aroun 145db even though the suspension in it is broken.

Its a beastly sub, heres the specs- http://americanbassusa.com/front/showco ... fileid=227

I could really use some help. any suggestions?
Best guess is that the subwoofer unloaded because the port tuning frequency has not been figured out, and you haven't set an infrasonic filter to block the lower frequencies than the port tuning frequency. Remember, when playing below the port tune frequency, a ported box behaves like a free air sub and flops around. This will kill it in seconds.

Solution, find the port tune, set your amp to play only above that, OR build a box that correctly hits the tune you want.

And now I think you know why I think SPL boxes are stupid.
would you have any reccomended box specs for some beastly lows on either a single 15 or two 15s in an 03 escape?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Will do. Throw me all the T/S specs for the subs you are using, and the maximum width, length, height that I can use in your trunk.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top