Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning a new system in my cargo, going to pull out the old setup i did and re-build it to give me more cargo space and storage space. ive been looking into these subwoofers, does anyone have any opinions about them?

Alpine 12' Subwoofer (SWS-1223D) (going to build a box to hold 2 of them)

looking to keep really strong bass but reduce space.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Breensy said:
im planning a new system in my cargo, going to pull out the old setup i did and re-build it to give me more cargo space and storage space. ive been looking into these subwoofers, does anyone have any opinions about them?

Alpine 12' Subwoofer (SWS-1223D) (going to build a box to hold 2 of them)

looking to keep really strong bass but reduce space.
They are OK. But what are you paying for them?

Just to point out a few brands and models that you might REALLY enjoy if the price is right:

Acoustic Elegance, AV series http://www.aespeakers.com/shop/catalog/
Phoenix Gold RSdC series (not RSd)
Dayton HO from Parts Express http://www.partsexpress.com
Soundsplinter http://www.soundsplinter.com
Fi Car audio http://www.ficaraudio.com , the SSD or Q line are amazing
Incriminator Audio http://www.incriminatoraudio.com
Exodus Audio Shivax2 maybe http://www.exodusaudio.com

And I myself am going with an AE AV15H in a few weeks for my other car. It loves small boxes (like only 1.5 cubes for a 15"), and has some of the best designed motor technology available. Not bad for $249.

I'd take ANY of these mentioned

·
Registered
64 Posts
I highly suggest you look into some American Bass product. they are very strong, hit very clean and hard. i had two tens in competition in the trunk of a mustang winning some spl drags. They used to be world chanps, they may still be, not sure... http://www.americanbassusa.com for products I had two XD series 10s

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
AudioEscape03 said:
I highly suggest you look into come American Bass product. they are very strong, hit very clean and hard. i had two tens in competition in the trunk of a mustang winning some spl drags. They used to be world chanps, they may still be, not sure... http://www.americanbassusa.com for products
Well with 8mm of travel and specs like the ones shown for the sub, they don't exactly fit the spec for a shallow, small box sub. SI's have 14mm of xmax, and a bit more before a hard x-mech. So we're talking 1/2 here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you try to look at some of their shallow mounts? Try looking in the SQ area... if you want a shallowmount or two, i really love how MB Quart subs sound, they hit great and sound amazing. I really like the American Bass brand, but MB Quart makes some very high definition shallow mounts. They are truly great subs for the price...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
OK the point am I trying to make is missing somehow:

The problem with most shallow subs is that they need large box sizes to perform well. This is a catch-22, since most shallow box designs are also quite small in air space.

A lot of these subs being recommended are not good performers at all in shallow boxes. I know, I've been down this road before with peaky, disastrous results.

To be 100% sure, by all means model them up and compare your options. WinISD pro Alpha is what I use, and its free to boot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay well have you looked into something called a Pro Box? though im not sure if they make them for ford escapes... but they are a special box build to go under seats and they are very strong boxes. and how small do you need your deminsions to be? I will just try to find you a box for what space you have. but i wouldnt consider those big boxes for shallowmounts. my box is 2.5 cubes (cubic feet) and i have seen a box for a single 15 that was 7.5 cubes....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
AudioEscape03 said:
Okay well have you looked into something called a Pro Box? though im not sure if they make them for ford escapes... but they are a special box build to go under seats and they are very strong boxes. and how small do you need your deminsions to be? I will just try to find you a box for what space you have. but i wouldnt consider those big boxes for shallowmounts. my box is 2.5 cubes (cubic feet) and i have seen a box for a single 15 that was 7.5 cubes....
Who me?

Lol, not for me bro. I built 4 boxes for folks here to use as a false floor, and my own truck I've done 5+ times (wait until you guys see what I've done next... you are going to crap yourself.) All my builds except this secret one are already on this site for amusement.

Maybe someone else though. For this truck the false floor area is the space worth using.

·
Registered
11 Posts
False floor box and the shallow mount subwoofers definitely was the way to go for me. Only problem im running into right now is heat discipation. The subwoofer AMP i have right now cuts out after a 7 hour drive. But under normal conditions, the false floor gives me no problems at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
fourthmeal said:
AudioEscape03 said:
Who me?

Lol, not for me bro. I built 4 boxes for folks here to use as a false floor, and my own truck I've done 5+ times (wait until you guys see what I've done next... you are going to crap yourself.) All my builds except this secret one are already on this site for amusement.

Maybe someone else though. For this truck the false floor area is the space worth using.
i might get back to you on that if you build false floors for people, how much would you charge to build a false floor with a plexiglass cover and amp rack?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
AudioEscape03 said:
fourthmeal said:
AudioEscape03 said:
Who me?

i might get back to you on that if you build false floors for people, how much would you charge to build a false floor with a plexiglass cover and amp rack?
I've not built one with Plexi and don't know if I will, it doesn't have enough support strength until quite thick to handle most people's trunk weight.

I have PM'd you on my price averages.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A wall would effectively turn a useful SUV into a pure SPL competitor, but yes you can do it. The question I would ask is why disable the vehicle's primary purpose (people/cargo mover/daily driver) when maybe purchasing a vehicle more suited to pure SPL is going to be cheaper and more effective.

·
Registered
333 Posts
fourthmeal said:
A wall would effectively turn a useful SUV into a pure SPL competitor, but yes you can do it. The question I would ask is why disable the vehicle's primary purpose (people/cargo mover/daily driver) when maybe purchasing a vehicle more suited to pure SPL is going to be cheaper and more effective.
I know one of my buddies from a Focus Club here in Canada removed the back seats in his Focus ZX5 and had 4 15" Subwoofers in it, mounted into a custom wall type enclosure, and in the back, he had a rack of like 6 amps, 1 for each sub, and 1 for his front stage, and 1 for his extra components he had in the doors and kick panels to compensate for the wall of 15's. Made the car almost useless though...he could only use the front seats, and the rear hatch could only fit a few grocery bags that wouldn't harm his amps or wiring...

·
Registered
64 Posts
il remove my back seats if i had a good enough plan for it like that.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Well we could engineer a system that fits in the car and is removable, one that fits and is just MASSIVE in the truck during comps. Further, you could make a sliding rack that holds the massive thing when you aren't in competition.

8 12's from Lanzar should make for a monster.

What class are you running?

·
Registered
64 Posts
well the events im in now are all local, i dont believe i have been to a mecca show, but im in the truck/suv/hatch 501-1500 i believe.

and il upgrade to another amp and another sub and run two 15s on about 6,000 watts. im not sure what the rms is but it is rated each amp 3,000 watts @ 1 ohm. but i hear they clamp around 2500 or so. im running it at .5 ohm though, i just seriously need a new box because i only did a 143 with playing music with the ghetto set up i have now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.