Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I'm new to escape city, and owning cars, I'm 16 lol.
I have the honor of owning an 02 escape xlt v6... but I'm not diggin' the system.
I have a tight budget, but I don't want to compromise quality.

Here's what I've looked at so far to put in:

2 pairs of Pioneer 6x8 4 way car speakers for the doors (280 peak pwr, 50 rms) each

alpine 50W x 4 iPod/satellite Radio/HD radio ready car deck (50 peak pwr, 18 rms) x 4 channels

1 Infinity 12'' dual voice coil 8-ohm sub (1000 peak pwr, 300 rms)

I'm not sure on the amp to buy, but I'd prefer it be from best buy, since my mom doesn't want to buy from random stores on the internet, and wants everything to be bought in one place and installed there.

THANKS! :peace:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ok first off, welcome, and second PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEEE try and convince your mother to let you take it to the pros... I have seen too many terrible installs from the likes of best buy and future shop.... but if this is your only option then make sure the installer knows what they are doing first...

Also judging by your set up you can either use a 4 channel amp or a single amp to run the sub and a amp for the speakers, your reasoning for this would be that you have a 8 ohm woofer of 300 watts so you can easily fulfill this with one amp, and then get a smaller 100watt amp for the speakers, or try and find a suitable multi channel for all of your speakers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. : )
But I think I've decided to hold off on the speakers to save some money.

And I'm going to switch to Kenwoods since they are on sale buy one get one free.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 6840602883

And I know about the Best Buy ordeal. :roll:
I took my computer to get looked at by Fire Dog in Circuit City... worst decision.
They dropped my case, and broke it. hate them

So I don't know.... but my mom wants it done there which I think is dumb.

I decided to go with th kenwoods, then an alpine 1000 watt amp
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 9494646259

And then a basic enclosure from fierce audio and an alpine in dash that can be powered by the stock amp.

I'll worry about the speakers later, for now the stocks will have to do...
I'm not rushing it, so I still have time on the final decision.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello. I'm not really sure what type of system you are looking for here, whether you want SQ or SPL. Also if you have a reputable car stereo place near where you live OTHER then best buy I'd go there if I were you. But if you are limited to just best buy then go there and listen to everything and pick what you like best. Personally on the speaker part of things, I prefer 6.5's or 5 1/4 over 6x9's.

One of the best subs that I see for sale at best buy would be the Alpine Type R's. They are known to be a VERY good sub and give loud deep bass.

I'm not sure how good your best buy installers are over there, but they aren't usually the best, and most audiophiles will tell you, that the install is 85% of how the system will sound.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yea man Best Buy will just f*ck you over terribly! They will charge you double on equipment and they always do a sh!tty job on installs like everyone has mentioned.. Visit here http://www.caraudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46 and find a installer near you and you will get a much better deal and your system will sound so much better. There are reputable dealers.. To sum it up Best Buy = higher prices, lower qulity, sh!tty install // Local Dealers = Better Equipment, Lower Prices, Quality Install etc...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I strongly suggest you try and take it to a well known shop, but if that is simply not an option then there are ways around it, installing a basic system is actually quite simple since everything you are buying is pretty well plug and play. As some one above suggested, the alpine Type R is a fantastic woofer, I ran it last year in my truck, (it's too bad your are not in Canada lol or I could help you out now) but ya anyways the I have the 2 ohm type R (SWR-1222D) and 460 watts and I hit 134.7db, and I was still maintaining quality. And from factory they come severely under rated, I think mine was rated at around 500 watts rms when they more realistically like 7-800watts. But with the right box it is a very good all around woofer, +1 for the type r

·
Registered
321 Posts
Quick advice:

1. (again) Stay away from best buy and circuit city for installation. I might even suggest buying from an online dealer and you'll cut the price wayyy down, and you still get the warranty from the manufacturer.

2. If you have the upgraded Mach audio system, don't bother to upgrade the speakers. If you just have stock speakers, keep them for now and at least wait till one blows (depending on how loud you play your music).

3. For a subwoofer, get yourself a Kicker. I have one, and I know three people with different Kicker subs, they all sound ten times better than any other brand I've heard (besides the systems you see at car shows that people drop $10K into).

I know there's people on here that won't agree with what I said, but take it as you wish. :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
^^ this is true... kicker is a very reputable brand as well, it does all depend on what kind of system you are looking for... like I said I used to run a type R, but I also ran 2 runs of welding cable and a 6th order bandpass box built to alpine spec. Box is a big part of it too, so keep that in mind, try and find someone who is knowledgeable on the subject.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys
Thanks for the advice!

I told my mom what you guys were saying, and she is starting to feel the same way.
So I'm going to to take it somewhere in south florida (around palm beach and broward county)

Any suggestions?
I know about audio advisors, but that's it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Charles Dixon -- Audio Logic -- Hollywood, Fla.
Jeremy Carlson -- Extreme Performance -- Palm City, Fla.
Billy Gormley -- Audio Creations -- Boca Raton, Fla.
Cartronics -- Pembroke Pines, Fla.

Not sure if any of these places are close to you, but these people were nomiated for installers of the year by an audio magazine. Cartronics was nominated for top facility by the same magazine. Any one of these is probably a good/safe bet.

On the sub side of things, kicker makes some decent subs, my first subs ever were kicker. But if your looking for SPL then the Type R's are great. If you want more accurate/tight sounding bass, like that of an SQ system. I'd def recommend an Image Dynamics IDQ12v3 or the Fi-Q. Theres a lot of choices out there and I know with those kenwoods being buy one get one its hard to lay off them! My recommendation is if you choose one of the places above, go there talk to the guys there and listen to a variety of subs. Not only will you be able to choose which one you like best, but you'll build a working relationship with your installer!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes talk to the installers before you buy anything, a good installers will make you apart of the process (unlike best buy for example where you would just give them money and they take your car for a few hours) so think of what kind of system you want and don't be afraid to tell the installers that, day in and day out they hear "I want to be loud" in your case try thinking about the long run.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey guys
Thanks for the advice!

I told my mom what you guys were saying, and she is starting to feel the same way.
So I'm going to to take it somewhere in south florida (around palm beach and broward county)

Any suggestions?
Hey guys
Thanks for the advice!

Any suggestions?
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68
find you a good local dealer at that site.. Kicker is good, but you can also look at FI, RE, Orion, Alpine.. Those are just some that come to mind.

·
Registered
267 Posts
hey man,

the first thing i did when i got my escape was put a new radio in, i took it to ABC warehouse, good prices and the install was free and fast

kenwood is a good name but i personally think bestbuy's prices are through the roof and online's shipping is too much

i bought my system from a good friend and it was slightly used but it still hits hard, so maybe you could look into that too; find out if anyone is selling their system

1 - 13 of 13 Posts