Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, excited to pick up my new Ruby Red 2018 Titanium on Saturday from Carmax.

I have the option to buy an extended warranty from Carmax, the cost would be $1569 for 100k miles or 5 years, whichever comes 1st, with a $150 deductible. I am debating on buying the warranty, the Escape currently has just under 17k miles and has been a one owner, I drive under 10k miles per year, so at the 5 year mark I would expect to have around 70k miles on the odometer. With the few miles it has on it currently and only approx 70k when (if) I took the extended warranty I'm wondering if it's worth the gamble??
I am mechanically inclined, brakes, rotors, pads, suspension parts, radiators, spark plugs, oil changes, just about everything outside of the engine internals I can repair or replace, not too bad on electrical either, just installed remote starters on my daughters Hyundai, wife's Kia and my current ride a Jeep Renegade, from the research I have done it seems the Escape is pretty reliable, would you guys have any idea on what are the frequent parts that break and with the current and expected milage would you guys spend the $1500 on extended warranty.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Congrats on the new (to you) E!

The gamble is the 2.0 and coolant intrusion issue that some run into. That requires a new long block. The details are in TSB 19-2172 (but the NHTSA say it has been superseded or deactivated). I worry every time I have to add a cup or so of coolant to my 2017 with the 1.5, it is also possibly affected.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,623 Posts
Welcome to the City!!! We are glad you joined us!!!

Ruby Red is my favorite Ford color. May you have many trouble free miles.

To your question about the extended warranty, I would consider a Ford extended warranty. With that you can go to any Ford dealership for service and be fairly confident whatever issues you encounter will be fixed the first time. That is my opinion and that and $5.00 will get you a Starbucks.

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
54 Posts
2018 with 17,000 miles should still be covered underneath the factory warranty for the majority of your concerns. Factory warranty is good for three years 36,000 miles. many items are covered until 100,000 miles

I strongly recommend downloading the FordPass app, connecting that to your car, it will tell you exactly what you have covered currently. Given your mechanical skills, the parts that are not covered you can replace.

I would agree with Charles, factory Ford extended warranty is the only way to go. Just be prepared to have your warranty information in hand anytime you need service, and be willing to argue that you are covered.

with my brand new Ford, I have hard to argue with three dealerships, before they offered factory service. Very disappointing.

you have to have your ducks in a row, knowing what is covered, and what is not. Ford dealerships will tell you nothing is covered immediately after your vehicle rolls off a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts