Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just got a [New to me] 2003 Ford Escape a week ago tomorrow! I am in need of some mods that will set my escape out from others, but not be too flashy, Here are some pictures of the rig, when I bought it. The pictures don't do it justice. Its a darker charcoal color, however the pictures make it look purple. :lol:

When purchased it was completely stock, one owner, female driven, all receipts for work done, and 160,000 km's. Everything is in mint condition, except for the front bumper. There is a slightly broken piece directly under the front, which can only be seen from a large distance away.

So far for Audio I have purchased:
Alpine CDA-9884 Head Unit
Alpine MRP-M500 Amplifier
and a Kicker Dual 10" Sub

That is only half of the audio for my setup right now, all I can afford for the time being.
New winter tires and windshield wipers as well.

I also have an appointment to get the windows tinted in the middle of December, and can't decide what color to get, or darkness... any help would be appreciated.

Anybody have any simple mod ideas? I wanted to change the color of the powerwindow buttons on the door from GREEN to either RED OR BLUE as my head unit is red and blue... is this hard to do? I saw someone did it, and changed theirs to orange, however I can't find the thread anymore.

Thanks guys!

Anthony

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Congrats on your Escape and welcome to the City!! :beer:

Mod it with a rear spoiler! That will set it apart from the other Escapes out there!! :thumb:
:peace:

·
Super Moderator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,585 Posts
Welcome to the City Anthony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am partial to a Lund Interceptor II Bug Deflector myself. The rear spoiler is a good exterior mod as well.

I would probably concentrate on your audio system first with the components you already purchased.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!

I've changed the power window and lock switch LEDs on both 2001-2007 Escapes, and on 2008 and newer Escapes.

I'll put up a how-to thread for both types.

The front switches in the 2001-2007 models require the removal of the snapped-on rockers, which isn't easy. The rear switches are easy. Also, the 560-ohm axial-lead 1/8W resistors need to be changed to 1,200-ohm resistors, if you're using blue LEDs. There's one 750-ohm surface-mounted, 1206-sized resistor for the AUTO button that needs to be changed to a 1,200-ohm resistor.

Both type use T-1 (3mm round) LEDs, without flanges.

:thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
:welcome:

The rear spoiler would definitely be a good mod as not too many people have done it.

As far as the tinting goes I think I went 15% on mine...I'm not a fan of the mirror tint or any other colors.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
When it comes to mirror tintiing, well...that's just so seventies!!!!!!!!!

I know, I was there! :yes:

Verdict: Just say no to mirror tinting. :stop:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the front right corner of my NEW (To me) Escape is pretty much done... completely pushed into the wheel well. Can't drive it anymore... not looking too good at this point.
I was on my way to the tint shop, and was involved in an accident. No injuries, lots of damage to both vehicles. 50/50 at fault... police said it would be a toss up as to who the insurance company finds to be at fault.

Details to come. :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Well, that's a bummer!!!!!!! :cuss:
Sorry to hear! Glad you are okay!!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Anth0ny said:
Well, the front right corner of my NEW (To me) Escape is pretty much done... completely pushed into the wheel well. Can't drive it anymore... not looking too good at this point.
I was on my way to the tint shop, and was involved in an accident. No injuries, lots of damage to both vehicles. 50/50 at fault... police said it would be a toss up as to who the insurance company finds to be at fault.

Details to come. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Oh NO! :(

What is the plan now?? :worry:
Are you fully covered, collison and comprehensive? Uninsured motorist?

BTW, police are prone to not assign blame unless there is a fatality, or bad injury. To them it's just property, and they want to stay clear of any legal proceedings that could be a time sponge. Way too many other things to do in their world.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Ditto. Sorry to hear the Escape was so badly damaged before you really got to know it. Hopefully things will work out in the end with the insurance and all. Also glad there were no injuries. Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Minor pains in my back, and the other driver was reportedly uninjured. :kneel:

I had half the sound system fully installed just two days ago. It is a real bummer. The LED's that I was replacing in my interior ironically showed up in my mail box today too ...

It really does suck. Five hours after calling the tow truck I drove by the accident scene and my vehicle was still parked where I left it, (unlocked too for the Tow truck driver). It's not exactly in the safest or best place either, however the police would not put a priority tow call out for it, so there isn't much I can do other than leave it in my insurance companies hands.

I waited two and a half hours on the phone with my insurance company, and then one hour at a police station only for the Officer to tell me there is nothing he can do at this detachment, then had to go to a different one across the city to fill out paper work... and wait another two hours. Seven hours after the initial accident... half a police report filled out, and the vehicle un-moved. SUCKS!

But, the police officer legitimately said that both of us drivers were at fault. I would let you guys know all the details, however the constable has told me to keep tight lipped until the final police report has been filled out and sent in to the traffic investigators.

Looks like there will be no driving home for Christmas this year... :(

On the bright side, maybe if my insurance decides to fix the vehicle I can get some new headlights, a westin bull bar and new grill installed at the same time. Also, the under carriage piece on the front, which was broken when I bought the vehicle will need to be replaced too if they decide to have the damage replaced! :wave:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about all of this. I'm glad there were no serious injuries!

Please let us know what happens, and if your insurance company decides to fix your Escape, I'm glad you'll be getting a new subframe!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Sorry to hear about that man! What exactly happened? Glad you are ok. Let us know what the end result is!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Police report is in...

Driving on a four lane highway, two lanes north, and two lanes south, separated by a grass ditch.
Slippery winter road conditions. Lots of traffic. 100 is the Limit, and I was following 4-5 car lengths behind a Ford F-350, and in front of him was a Dodge or GMC 2500 HD at approximitley 80 km/h in the far right hand lane.

I was driving, the first truck slammed on his breaks, and so did the truck in front of me. I slammed on my breaks, and began to slide alot, hitting the snow covered rut area of the lane. The first truck weaved to the left, and began straddling the dotted white center line of both the left hand lane, and the right hand lane. The Ford F-350 in front of me, moved over to the same position that the 2500 did. I was then still slipping and sliding. As soon as the F350 had moved over, there was a Green Ford Tempo parked half way onto the shoulder of the highway, and halfway in the right hand lane, which I did not see until the F350 moved. Since there was a car traveling beside me, I could not move left like the two trucks in front of me had done. I struck the green car from behind, causing damage to my front right passenger side, and the Green Tempos back right drivers side. Upon exiting my vehicle, the young lady inside said that she was not hurt, and that she had stopped because her windows were all fogged up, and icy. She then proceeded to ask me whether or not she had fully been on the shoulder, which she which was not.
No four way flashers on, and she was stationary with her vehicle halfway into the highways right hand lane. When I struck her, I believe I was traveling at about 60 km/h.

While stopped and trading information, a vehicle had lost control trying to slow down when approaching out accident scence, and rolled into the ditch. There didn't look to be much damage, however the driver of the vehicle then hit the gas trying to get out of the ditch and was feet away from being T-Boned by a F-150.

Lots of Damage, and the insurance company hasn't phoned me back yet... The joys of Winter.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Ouch. I hope you're OK, and I hope you get good news from your insurance company.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts