Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am new to the domestic car world having come from the VW side of the industry, but wildly enough I fell in love with the Escape when I got one as a rental while visiting California with my family. I will always have one foot deeply rooted in the German car arena as my job keeps me there and it also continues to be my hobby. I just bought our new 2009 Escape as our family hauler shortly after returning from vacation in April and just could not leave it in its stock state. Researching what is available for the Escape has proven to be very interesting, yet a bit frustrating at the same time. Aftermarket parts are a bit scarce when compared to what I am used to, but if you look hard enough some cool bits can be found. I have gotten a few chuckles from some of the parts suppliers when I began asking about Ford parts for my personal vehicle because they are used to requests from me for European cars, but they have all been very encouraging and helpful in accumilating the parts that I have thus far.

Here are some photos of where I have been with some of my cars along with what I am working with now...

Slowly but surely the Escape will gain some new bits, but here is where I am starting (along with a picture of my helpers).

I have not installed the springs as of yet because I have just installed a set of the KYB GR-2 shocks and struts (to see if the new shocks and struts are any firmer than the factory pieces - which they are). I may get around to throwing the springs in later in the fall or early next year depending on how the ride quality fairs with the KYBs. If the damping goes away too soon, I will go for a set of the KONI Heavy Track shocks and struts (adjustable damping) and do the spring install at that time.

I look forward to learning from the rest of you on what works and what has been tried in regards to modifications and life with an Escape.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Nice wheels!

Just a thought. There are some used items that some members here have for sale. Or did. Scooter Scott has/had an exhuast from his Escape for sale. I think it'll fit. It's a cat-back as I recall. Then again, you may only want brand spanking by God new... Just a thought. Save a few bucks on lightly used items. :shrug: :yes:

I just checked his thread, Scooter Scott sold the exhaust... :shrug: nevermind.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
looks great!! i have 2 little helpers as well! one just steals tools though hehe (hes only 18mos). as for the ear protection. i find its really easy to get my 5yr old daughter to wear them LoL. kids like ear protection haha. :tease:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
computerpro3 said:
You should get a dual exhaust. I haven't seen any of the new body style with one yet and I think it would look great.

I'm jealous of the added power and the 6 speed that yours has vs. mine.

Congrats.
I'm with you. I like the thought of six speed tranny. I like the thought of more horsepower. :beer:

But I don't know that I will dwell on it. The four speed and four banger is working fine! If I had wanted more power, I think that I would have gone looking for the six cylinder model. I didn't. :shrug:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KC5ZRQ said:
I like your Escape. Can you tell me the size of your wheels and tires?
The wheels are 18x8" ASA AR1 with a 35mm offset, and the tires are 255/55/18 Goodyear Eagle GS-D3 with new TPMS sensors. I like them because they give the Escape a bit of a chunkier look however the new wheel and tire combination are a bit heavier compared to the stock wheels and tires (56lbs per corner vs. 50lbs per corner). The wheels were a learning experience for me because of the TPMS system. I discovered that even though I purchased the wheels with new TPMS monitors I still had to get a TPMS Transmitter Activator from my local Ford Dealer (Ford part # 8C2Z-1A203-A) to turn on the sensors in the wheels and follow a reset procedure for the truck to recognize the new monitors. This appears to be a necessary step even when I swap my stock wheels back on for the winter.

Learning new things is all part of the fun.

Thanks for the positive comment!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
They let you buy the activator? How much is one of those?

Would you mind trying to "activate" a paper clip to see if it's just a fancy magnet as it's rumoured to be?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Paper clips need to be activated?

:bill:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Were they designed by Microsoft? :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:lol:

If they were, you'd need to buy new ones every three months, unless you click the "Update Paper Clip" link.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
:lol:

BTW, I like the Escape too tajescape... Especially the wheels. Good choice!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jonas1022 said:
Nice wheels!

Just a thought. There are some used items that some members here have for sale. Or did. Scooter Scott has/had an exhuast from his Escape for sale. I think it'll fit. It's a cat-back as I recall. Then again, you may only want brand spanking by God new... Just a thought. Save a few bucks on lightly used items. :shrug: :yes:

I just checked his thread, Scooter Scott sold the exhaust... :shrug: nevermind.
Thanks for the exhaust suggestion, but after having performance exhausts on all of my cars for the last 20 years the quietness of the Escape is a bit welcome right now. Things may change though as I thought the Escape would stay stock for at least a year before I would start tinkering (I was wrong).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Squishy said:

Would you mind trying to "activate" a paper clip to see if it's just a fancy magnet as it's rumoured to be?
I found the part number for the activator while using google to find the proper procedure for gettting the Escape to recoginize the new TPMS sensors (somebody on the Ford Forums had the part number for the activator). I paid about $30 for the activator itself, and it looks like a vehicle alarm remote with just one button and a red LED. I figured that I would have to go through the recognition procedure every time I switched my wheels from summer to winter and the Ford Dealer local to me charges $80 per visit to perform this, so the activator has already paid for itself. In regards to the paper clip and magnet trick, I didn't even know of that possibility but for $30 the activator was an easy purchase and saves time.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Some TPMS systems can be activated simply by passing a magnet next to the valve stem. I was just wondering if the Escape used such a system (in which case the activator should attract a paper clip when turned on).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Squishy said:
Some TPMS systems can be activated simply by passing a magnet next to the valve stem. I was just wondering if the Escape used such a system (in which case the activator should attract a paper clip when turned on).
I will give it a shot and see if the activator does attract a paper clip when the button is depressed and let you know if it works or not (if it does, I have a fancy looking magnet).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tajescape said:
Squishy said:

I found the part number for the activator while using google to find the proper procedure for gettting the Escape to recoginize the new TPMS sensors (somebody on the Ford Forums had the part number for the activator). I paid about $30 for the activator itself, and it looks like a vehicle alarm remote with just one button and a red LED. I figured that I would have to go through the recognition procedure every time I switched my wheels from summer to winter and the Ford Dealer local to me charges $80 per visit to perform this, so the activator has already paid for itself. In regards to the paper clip and magnet trick, I didn't even know of that possibility but for $30 the activator was an easy purchase and saves time.
Tried the paper clip and TPMS activator trick with no success (was worth a shot to maybe save others some money and good for clarification).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts