Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i just bought my 01 Escape V6 XLT 2 wheel drive about a week ago and i have put about 200 miles on it and so far so good, no noticeable problems for the most part, shifts smooth and engine purrs like a kitten but...

i noticed that after it warms up if it is idling in gear the oil light will flicker but if i put it in park or raise the RPMs at all it turns off, noticed that these vehicles use a 5-20 oil and i was wondering if maybe it it is just too thin of a oil (or for that matter maybe they used a cheap oil), also i noticed that if i drive around and park it even after a hour the temp sensor doesn't show it cooled down much if at all, while driving it doesn't ever get more than half way and the fan does kick on like normal. also i can feel while driving it feels like it is shifting while holding speed, it don't feel like it is slipping but just feels like it shifts gears although the is no loss or gain if speed and RPMs stay the same.

just curious if these might be potential issues or if it is just normal for these vehicles, thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
Welcome to the city! 2001 eh? I had one as well. but it was a 4x4. How many miles are on her? Any service records?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weebee said:
How many miles are on her? Any service records?
thank you, as far as records i don't have any, only thing i could get is talked to local ford dealership and VIN only came up with 3 recalls and all 3 were done, as far as miles i am really surprised that she doesn't have any ticks or clicks or anything but she as 177,xxx on her but body interior and everything else feels strong

·
Registered
67 Posts
Next oil change, try a heavier oil and see if that gets rid of the light. At 177k miles, you might have slightly excessive bearing clearances that give you low oil pressure at idle.

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
And since you have no records I would change the tranny oil and filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah think i will give those a try and see if there is any change

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hurk said:
If you go w a heavier oil, I'll go ahead & suggest using 5W-30 during the Summer.
i was thinking of maybe a 10-30 but guess a 5-30 does sound better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
skibender said:
Have you checked the oil level?

At what speeds does it seem to shift more than it should?
1) of course i have checked the oil LOL (give me some credit) i have checked it every several days and no change, still within its normal range, oil looks and smell good

2) so far i have noticed it at almost any speed if you hold the speed, usually i am doing 20-45 depending on street or 55-70 depending on the highway/freeway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts