Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just was on google and I came on to your site. I'm considering replacing my 2005 Silverado 4.3L 5speed with an Escape. I was wondering what years are best? I've heard 2005+ because the engine was revised but I'm not sure if there is much truth to that. My parents have a 2005 Escape AWD and they are able to get things done and still get good gas mileage. I do mountain bike almost every day and the truck is handy for loading up a bunch of bikes to take to wherever we are going riding. So I think I would want to get a hitch installed to put my bike rack on it. Also how hard is it to find an escape in a 5speed? My truck took me years to find but right now I drive too much and I'm putting about $97 a week in gas into it. The biggest selling point is seating for more than 3 in a bench seat.

Anyways here are some pictures.

Here is my truck...

My parents escape...

He was too tired to drive home.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
A brief heads-up.

If you're after the 5 speed manual, you're either looking at the 2.0 ('01 - '04 years), or the 2.3 ('05 - '07). This engine also had the option of the 4 speed auto. The 3.0 V6, which is pretty much unchanged from its introduction, only came with the 4 speed auto.

As the 4 speed auto is the weakest link on the Escape, your hunt for the 2.3 manual makes sense.

Anything you need to know, the folks on here are helpful above and beyond the norm. Good luck with your search. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Welcome to the City,

My family mountain bikes too and we put a class three hitch on and a 4 bike rack off of that. It works great and room for gear and peeps (out of the rain, etc).

Big Chris started you off right with the tech details. The manual X-missions are on the smaller engines but those that have them say they have good power through the manual and good economy as well.

Let's see some pics

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
First, welcome to E-C! Thanks for stopping by!

If you're looking for a manual-transmission Escape, then yes, the 2005-2007 models have a better 4-cylinder (the Mazda 2.3 versus the Zetec 2.0) with more power and (probably) better mileage, better front structure (the 2005-2007 models did better in the IIHS offset crash tests), and a better, more advanced electrical system. Even with the automatic, the 2.3 four is still peppy enough. We have that engine in our Fusion, and it got 38.2 MPG on one highway-only trip last month.

You may even be able to find a 5-speed AWD 2005-2007 model, although Ford dropped AWD for manual-transmission models for 2008. AWD might take away a few MPGs on the road, though. If you don't need it, stick with FWD, and you'll find more Escapes available that way.

I know how handy a pickup is for mountain biking. I had a bar that locked into the back of my old Ranger that allowed me to attach four bikes by their front forks after their tires were removed. But if it's only two bikes and two riders, the Escape's cargo area can easily swallow two bikes with the seats folded. With three riders, you can probably still fit three bikes by removing some tires and folding down the wider of the two seatbacks.

Nice pics! Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
A hitch mounted bike rack on the Escape is possible. I have seen one or two.

You could also consider the Mariner and the Tribute. I bought a new 08 Tribbie for less than I could get a similar Escape or Mariner. The Tribute we bought has the same 2.3L and autobox. It does about 22-23 around the city. Not marvelous, but it will do much better on the highway, or so I have been told. We haven't done a trip yet, so I have no idea what those numbers might be for our truck. So far, we love the truck. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hey, welcome to the site.
I own a 2003 2.0 5speed Maverick, and can well recommend them. :yahoo:
I also am looking at a bike rack installation, have come to the conclusion that a towbar carrier is the best way to go, esp the Thule version.
:thumb: :thumb:
Over here, the 2.0 version seems to be a lot harder to find than the V6, but I feel that the 2.0 is the better car, at least you get 5 cupholders!!!!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
camusdarrach said:
I also am looking at a bike rack installation, have come to the conclusion that a towbar carrier is the best way to go, esp the Thule version.
Over here, the 2.0 version seems to be a lot harder to find than the V6, but I feel that the 2.0 is the better car, at least you get 5 cupholders!!!!! :lol:
Oh SNAP! five cupholders! :shades:

I only have four on in the 08 Tribbie... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Where's the 5th? 2 in the front next to the hand-brake & 2 in the flip down it at the back for the rear passengers.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
lol, i have 5 in my escape. if you count the one on my daughters booster seat LOL

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Welcome to the site man! Thanks for checking us out!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Big Chris said:
camusdarrach said:
Where's the 5th? 2 in the front next to the hand-brake & 2 in the flip down it at the back for the rear passengers.
As I said, there are 5 cupholders in the 2.0 Maverick, 2 at the front, 1 infront of the handbrake, and 2 at the rear of the centre console, as shown below.....

However, I don't get the centre armrest, though :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your welcomes, I'm susprised how many people responded.

I'm starting to search the dealerships around me. I'm going to check out Mazda also. I've been debating the manual vs automatic finding a manual is like a needle in a haystack.

As for FWD vs AWD, I've always driving RWD vehicles and have no problem in the snow with 4x2. I'll hopefully find something in the next few weeks and may even remember to post my progress.

Another big positive of an automatic is remote start!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Remote start is possible with a manual as well. They make aftermarket installs for manual transmissions as I had one on my old 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse...I still miss her :(

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I am definitely a Ford guy, I have been pretty much all my life. My wife also prefers the Ford products. But when it came to buying an Escape or a Mariner the Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers were out to get us. They just wouldn't deal. :( I went down the street and low and behold a good deal! :yahoo: Even had a better rebate! :thumb: Better warranty :thumb: , and better attitude :thumb: . The Mazda seems, I wouldn't bet my life on it...to have more equipment standard. ;)

Like they say on CSI: "Check it out!"

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
Welcome, tcb, another thing to consider is that 2005+ has more sound deadening insulation. That's important because even the post 2005 aren't very quiet. Stay away from the cloth seats if possible, they're not the best. The Tribute is the least expensive, but buying used the difference may not be that much. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found a 5speed in Wisconsin I like but, it's a tad of a ride out there. I may try to work out a deal with one of the local dealerships, the Ford dealer has 3 escapes, 05, 06, 05 all are AWD and one is loaded to the brim other two have a fair amount of features, they are all automatics though. I inquired about the one in Wisconsin and I'm waiting for a response now.

http://dealers.autouplinkusa.com/v/...sort=PhotoTagId Desc&maxrows=25&DealerId=6730 <- Link to the dealer with the one I was looking at.

I have to make a list of tasks to get done with the truck before I get rid of it.

I got to get a few loads of dirt for the yard and move a trailer full of roofing shingles. The funny thing is it could not pull out the bushes at my parents house and we had to use the escape to pull them out. (AWD was a huge help)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Good luck on living without a pickup. I tried twice and didn't kick the habit! :shades: :stop: So, I just keep the old truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts