Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i wasn't a fan of my 215/70/16, OEM Goodyear Wrangler tires, I wanted something a bit wider and with a better traction off road.
I wanted the Yokohama Geolandar AT/s in 235/70/16, however when i was about to buy those, i saw a set of OEM wheels and tires of an 2010 Explorer, with 6000KM (mine had 11000KM), so i traded mines i ended up with a set of BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A in 245/65/17, and with new rims, all for less than what i was about to pay for my tires! :rockon:

With the added benefit, that my E, is now 1.6in higher!

Here are some pics...

Sorry for the low res pics...found out my new bb's camera, is worse than the one on my old one... :shrug:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am glad mine came with the Michelins. Those rims look good on there. They look a lot like the Escape wheels with the knock outs on the 5 spokes. They look like they are supposed to be there! I want the 20" wheels that come on the Edge Sport models (if they were not clad).

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
THOSE Explorer wheels are the wheels that I'd love to have on my Escape, too. IMHO, they're the best-looking 5-spokers I've seen from Ford. They have a cool, "rugged" look.

Nice!!!

:thumb:

sinister mob said:
I am glad mine came with the Michelins. Those rims look good on there. They look a lot like the Escape wheels with the knock outs on the 5 spokes. They look like they are supposed to be there! I want the 20" wheels that come on the Edge Sport models (if they were not clad).
They're clad. The only optional 2007-2010 Edge wheel that isn't clad is the "18" Painted Aluminum Wheel". It was usually silver, but Ford had a darker gray metallic version of it on some Edges.

E-C's SprinterX has them on his Escape:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Stupid question - although the bolt pattern is obviously the same, is there an issue with wheel offset using the Explorer rims in particular? Just asking as the Escape is essentially a FWD vehicle, which typically have higher offsets than RWD (like the Explorer)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
That's not a stupid question! Ford changed the Explorer in 2002 to use more of a FWD-style offset. Gone were the old deep-dish wheels from 2001 and older Explorers.

From what I can find, here are the offset dimensions for the newer wheels:

2006-2008 Explorer wheel: 17" diameter, 7.5" width, 44mm offset, 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern

2008-2010 Escape 17" chrome-clad wheel: 17" diameter, 7" width, 45mm offset, 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern

That means that the Explorer wheel on an Escape will actually ride (1mm + 1/4") closer to the frame than the Escape wheel, but still (1/4" - 1mm) farther out than the Escape wheel.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks for the info. I find it strange there isn't a dedicated wheel/tire page on this forum but maybe that's because the parts are far more interchangable than say the Japanese or European brands.

The difference in those stats above is nothing to worry about, that's for sure. Tire Rack recommends aftermarket wheels that are farther off stock than that.

And yes, my 1995 Explorer (a 5.0 baby!!) had those deep dish style old school 4wd wheels on it. The hub seemed like it was a quarter mile in from the fender!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Hmmm... a dedicated wheel/tire forum? I guess we always thought that wheels and tires should be in exterior mods, but that's a great idea! Let me run this by the moderators!

Stay tuned! Thanks!

:D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jpark said:
THOSE Explorer wheels are the wheels that I'd love to have on my Escape, too. IMHO, they're the best-looking 5-spokers I've seen from Ford. They have a cool, "rugged" look.

Nice!!!

:thumb:
Thanx! :yes:

jpark said:
sinister mob said:
They're clad. The only optional 2007-2010 Edge wheel that isn't clad is the "18" Painted Aluminum Wheel". It was usually silver, but Ford had a darker gray metallic version of it on some Edges.
They had those there too, however with the OEM tires they did not fit :mad: , and the tires that did fit were too expensive...
Plus, i go to my farm (ranch.... :confused: , we have cows...i dunno how it is called!) quite regularly, and when is raining is really difficult to get around the hole thing (Last time in a Toyota Hilux, we had to enter with 4Hi, 80% and 4LO the rest). So i needed the tires to be off road worthy, and sincerely with the 18" or higher, i really doubt i could fit an AT tire, at least w/out lifting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts