Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some 18" Edge wheels. They are the charcoal colored ones. So Im excited to buy some new rubber for these wheels. I know the Michelins are great. Im looking for a good all season tire that is quiet. I have Goodyear Infinity tires and they are great and relatively quiet. I was in my friends new Honda Pilot with Goodyear Fortera tires and they were noisy, super loud. Pirelli, Goodyear, BFGoodrich, Michelin, Hancook, Cooper, General, Conti's? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure thing, Ive gotta get some new rubber for these things. Any recommendations would be great. Megascape let me know what you want and Ill keep an eye out for them. the late 90's F-150 had a three spoke wheel.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The Michelin Latutude Tour that comes on the 09+ Escapes is also available for the Edge's standard 18" size. I have the Michelin Cross Terrain on my 09 (17" wheels) and they are also pretty good. I am a huge fan of Michelin in general and I think they are worth the money in every respect.

The Beauty of the Escape is that if you want passenger car tires, you can buy them. If you want truck/all terrain, you can go that route too! Just make sure the load rating is as close to stock as possible, unless you really need additional load, to prevent a harsh ride (somewhere from 100-102 is stock depending on OE size)

My wife has Continentals on her car for spring/summer use. They handle amazing and are fairly quiet, but wear very quickly. Also horrible in the snow (ContiProContact) even though they are rated fairly well by tire rack. These will be replaced by Michelin Harmony or Energy when the time comes

I've also had Hankook, and have Hankook W409 winter tires for my wife's car. An excellent tire and worth considering, provided it is made in one of their Korean plants. They also make tires in their own Chinese plants, but I had a set of winters for my Minivan for exactly 3 hours that were so bad and so out of round that they had to go back. Made by Hankook but in China. Avoid any tire made in China.

I think Hankooks also come standard on the Edge.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
ajc6882 said:
I was in my friends new Honda Pilot with Goodyear Fortera tires and they were noisy, super loud.
I'm curious about which Fortera's you experienced, the Triple-Tread or the Silent-Armor. I had the Silent-Armor and they made almost no road noise when new. They were amazingly quiet. Even when I replaced them, they were a lot quieter that the Firestone's I currently have. They also handled really well and were really good in most bad weather situations. The ride was better that the original Conti's but not what you would call smooth. My only major problem with them is they only lasted around 40,000 miles. My neighbor had the Triple-Treads and he loved them except he had the same problem. They wore out around 35k.

I started out with the ContiTrac. I didn't think they were as bad as most other people did. They were stiff and a little noisy but compared to the tires I had on my old Civic they were great in the snow and rain. I replaced them at around 32k with the Fortera's. My gas mileage dropped around 2 mpg on average when I made the change.

I currently have Firestone Destination LE's. I can't say I'm very happy with them. They are OK. The best thing about them is the ride. They soak up many more bumps and smooth out the ride dramatically. Dry handling is much worse than either the Conti's or the GY's. Same for road noise and snow handling. These things are not quiet at all even though the say they are engineered with "5§ NOISE REDUCTION which produces noise-canceling sound waves to significantly reduce tire noise on road surfaces". They are also noticeably worse in the snow. They seem OK in the rain so far. Finally, my gas mileage hasn't changed from the GY's.

My neighbor is replacing his with Michelin. Not sure which Michelin though. I kind of wish I did too. Either that or the General Grabber HTSs that get great reviews on TireRack. They seem to have a really good cost/performance ratio...

Good luck with your selection and let us know what you get...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here are the wheels they are sweet! Any suggestions on tires let me know as I will be getting some asap I'm really excited about them.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
No matter what tires you put 'em on they'll look great!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wheels are being mounted on the Escape at this minute. A couple isssues with lugnuts but they look sweet. They also said that the wheels don't sit on the hub properly but once the lugs are on it should be fine. I guess the escape hub is slightly smaller.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Wow... that's quite a difference! Do you notice a change in the speedometer? Have you tried checking it against a GPS?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's always been off when I passed by the road side police radars. About three mph at 50mph. So the bigger wheels made it exact vs gps, havent seen a roadside radar to test it against.that. It runs off a mph at 75mph.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.