Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I just purchased a 2005 Escape, Black, on Saturday, I love it!!!! I want to put in the Kenwood DNX5120 with the XM kit and hoping you guys can help me and that I can sneak this one by my wife(I'm sure she wont notice it when she gets in)! I'm figuring I can just use this wiring harness:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-R0CLttkwkZ ... =120705521

I was planning on pulling the factory radio out, and then just sliding this one in. I would also route the XM antenna to the roof in the front on the drivers side and the Navigation antenna to the front of the dash.

Will the wire harness above work for this unit?
Will I have to remove the dash to get the navigation antenna up there or can I just feed the wire down through the vents?
Will I need an installation kit for this unit?
Do I need to remove anything or can I pretty much just slide this guy right in the spot were the factory stereo was?
I did read about there being some piece of plastic or something blocking a Double Din from fitting, but I'm figuring I can just cut that with a razor blade, Yes/No?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome Demoso! Congrats on your new Escape!!

There are a lot of people here with the Kenwood DNX series, so advice shouldn't be far off. That looks like the correct harness that you'll need, and it sounds like a small bit of cutting to the fascia is needed but nothing major. You could save some $$ and hardwire, but I'm opting to do the same thing you suggested, and go for the plug n play method. I've pulled out my stock receiver in the past and I'm not sure if the Kenwood has a rail adapter, but the Ford has a rail on the bottom as a guide.

I don't know anything about the nav antenna through the vents, but once you get that radio out you have great access to the back. I was thinking that i might run it right to the center of the far front of the dash and pop it out there instead of going outside of the car or running cable all over the vehicle.

If you get ambitious you can take pics and make a guide ;).

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Will the wire harness above work for this unit? Yes
Will I have to remove the dash to get the navigation antenna up there or can I just feed the wire down through the vents?I brought my wire from over by the door. There is no way to feed the wire down through the vents unless you want to drill. Make sure you slide the wire in from over where the dash meets up w/ the door frame. That's how I did it and made it so it looks stock. My antenna is right beneath the windshield in the center of the dash...right where that little box is between the vents.
Will I need an installation kit for this unit?No kit needed. But you will have to custom make something to keep it in there. We fabricated some metal hangars that are in an L shape where the bottom of the L is flush with the unit so that it holds it in place from falling back in the dash too far
Do I need to remove anything or can I pretty much just slide this guy right in the spot were the factory stereo was? You will need to shave off a little bit of plastic at the top part of the opening. The Escapes technically have a 1.5 DIN opening so you need to file it off/cut it off to fit the unit.
I did read about there being some piece of plastic or something blocking a Double Din from fitting, but I'm figuring I can just cut that with a razor blade, Yes/No? You may want a dremel tool

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys Thanks for the advice!

I've been checking it out and I think I know how I'm going to route all the wires. I actually went out and bought a dremel the other day just for this job!!!! The only thing I'm a little bit unsure of is the L bracket that you were talking about Scott? If I'm understanding you correctly the unit will actually push to far in, is that correct? So how did you attach the L bracket to the head unit? About how long did the bracket have to be? Since the unit is not secured to anything does it move around at all while driving or is it pretty secure? If you happen to have any pics of the bracket I would love to see them!!!!

After I save up a few more bucks I should be able to by the unit I just hope its not too cold out cause I know I won't be able to wait to install it! If its not too bad out I'll try to take pics of all the steps and make a little walk through of it!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
This is the most work I have ever done to answer a question so I hope you appreciate it :)

You can see the front view up top and then the side view at the bottom. The 'L' shape brackets are on the side and are screwed into the side. You need some very small screws for this...don't know the exact size in length but they are about a medium width screw. Then at the front of the head unit we bent the metal bar so that it would make an 'L' so to speak and it is only like 1/2" long at that part I think give or take...make sure to do some measuring...

I may have done a little more than most ppl would have but I know it isn't moving at all!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:bill:

What's up with the smiley?

:hyst:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
OK, OK!!! I'm sorry!

Scottie, that looks great!!!

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
A simple "Looks good" would have done just fine....:(
Lookin' real good, Scottie!! :shades: Oops, wrong thread!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so I got the unit, off of ebay new and it just arrived yesterday. I took the factory unit out and looked around a little bit. I measured up the kenwood unit and it looks like I might have to dremel away some of the top and bottom plastic to get this unit to fit. I gotta admit I am little afraid to start dremeling away, this is my first time modding like this and I don't want to mess up this SUV! But I figure if it doesn't work out the stock unit should be able to go back in to cover up anything I messed up. I noticed the plastic bezel that goes around the unit doesn't fit so it looks like I might have to some how cut either the top or the bottom of that off get it in there. It fits width wise but not height. Anybody have any ideas on that? If its not to cold out when start this I'll try and take some pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts