Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, first post and I'm already pestering those who've been here a while with question. Now, I get how to make power. Slap on some bolt ons, get the proper tune, and be prepared to upgrade/replace transmissions, axles, etc when they go pop. What I'm curious about, is A) are there any dyno charts out there showing what kind of power Escapes can make with mods, and B) how much power until shit just starts to break. I come from the land of Subarus and fast 4 bangers, this whole SUV thing is a bit new to me. Though I DID have a ranger briefly a few years ago. I know this thing (once I get it, buying it off my grandmother, lol) is no corner carver by any stretch of an imagination, but the price is right, and I am without a car as of last week. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what year it is, I just know it's a Pre-05 Limited, so that means either 03 or 04. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm still planning out what I wish to do to this vehicle, though it's not as easy to find mods on as it was for my two Subarus I've been through. Current plans are as follows:
Stereo upgrade!
Winter wheels and tires (found a set on craigslist for a CRV, the wheel size and offset are the same and the tire size is close enough)
Westin Safari bar, black
Hella 500 driving lights
Canuck Motor sports 1.5" lift (wish I could find that 2" lift though)
And once the stock tires are worn, 31" off road tires

As much as I miss my old Impreza RS and Legacy GT, I hope to enjoy the Escape as much as I did those cars. And this forum seems like it has a lot of great information and helpful people. I'll try not to troll too much. :D

Oh yeah, this is one of the coolest smileys I've ever seen: :fan:

No pictures of the Escape yet, but for nostalgia (at least for me) here's the RS and LGT:

:censor:

·
Registered
781 Posts
The 2" lift kit was made by BDS which it appears they have stopped making. I've heard there is a 3" lift made by Dobinson, but I haven't been able to find anything about them.

Sorry to hear about the Impreza, I've always really liked the pre-WRX Imprezas.

Oh yeah, and :welcome:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I posted this today on another thread.

Welcome to the city.

The best things to do are:

1. Superchips tuner with a 93 octane tune - This will be your best experience and investment!

2. Reduce you tire / wheel diameter which effectively changes your gear ratio and improves your 0-60.

3. Add a K&N style filter - try your best to KEEP it a Cold Air Intake (like the stock system already is). It will not really give you HP gains but it will improve the throttle response which does feel good when you get on it and can improve the 0-60 too.

4. Take all the extra weight out of your truck

5. Remove roof racks

6. Lowering it REALLY improves handling with low profile tires (see #2 above)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Poor Subie!
My heart goes out to you.
:welcome: though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the kind words. My plan for the future is to get another Impreza and make the old RS look soft (coil overs and a swap on top of what the RS had maybe :yes: ) But first I have to start going to school again and get a real job. And surfscape, thanks for the info about the tuner. That'll be nice to have, more power without the attention/sound of an intake and exhaust. As much as I enjoy the sound, I'd rather not have the state police looking at me as I drive by anymore. Though I'm not too worried about gas mileage, as spring/summer/fall are motorcycle season for me. Even some days in winter if the roads ever clear up enough. And a question about the tuner, can that compensate for non-stock tire sizes so the speedo reads correct? Once I have the vehicle in my name and driveway, I'm going to see about a snorkusectomy and see how much of that stock intake piping can be removed and if any can be re-routed.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Don't mention it!
If you get that intake re-routing done, be sure to make a write-up. I'm sure that the modders, myself included, would appreciate it.
Not sure on the tuner, maybe Surfscape could help out with that one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
theescaperoute said:
Don't mention it!
If you get that intake re-routing done, be sure to make a write-up. I'm sure that the modders, myself included, would appreciate it.
Will do! It may have to wait a while though. It's balls cold outside! I miss having access to a heated and well lit garage so much.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I 2nd the XCal from Torrie...I use it and the 93 tune he has really makes our rides scream :)

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
theescaperoute said:
Don't mention it!
Here are pics of MY CAI routed to inside the fenderwell with a K&N filter on the end. 3 1/2" pipe!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for those pictures, I've been wondering exactly how the aftermarket stuff is routed. I should have the vehicle plated in my name by thursday! Kinda excited for it, if just to have a set of wheels again. And the unmolested base to start mods off of will be nice for a change as both my subies started off in various stages of modification, that while was nice to not have to pay for, I still wished it had been all of my own work instead of some of it.

I see that filter is actually IN the fender, right? I may have to hack up the intake I have left over from my Impreza. It's essentially a warm air intake with the filter surrounded by the piping its self with an extension pipe that goes into the fender. Greatly cut down of the risk of soaking the filter while maintaining the benefit of a cold air set up. On top of being good for a few AWHP. And not going to lie, intakes sound as good as some exhaust setups I've heard.

And surfscape, you seem to have done some rather extensive modification in your engine bay (I want that super charger soooooo bad), do you have any idea if there's a coolant line that runs through the throttle body? A lot of vehicles seem to have that. A member on the nissan site I used to frequent took a temp gun to the intake before and after re-routing that line and it showed a somewhat substantial temp difference when the vehicle was warmed up. I almost want to say it was as much as 20 degrees.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If that's true, that's definitely worth a look for the blown guys.
And surfscape, thanks for the photos!
I'd really like to have a setup like that.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Nope no coolant line thru the t-body on our escapes... yah. I had it on my mustang but not for long.

I have not found an aftermarket CAI. Mine is custom. My intake is actually two V-6 mustang intakes cut to make the bends. I had to open up the stock intake hole in the fender well to fit it through and because the inner fender well is fully shrouded It protects the filter well. I have never had a problem with water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts