Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just joined up to look for advice on what to look for in a used Escape. I've killed my poor 99 Cougar from the dirt roads and stuff I live on, and need something thats 4WD and has good ground clearance. I've been a lifelong Ford kid, and am currently driving my parents 96 Explorer until I can get my own. They have had me look at a few Explorers, but its a little more than I need. I've always liked the Escapes, and they would be the perfect size for me, so thats what I've decided to look for. From what I've seen so far from different sites, the "perfect Escape" for me would be an 03-05 Escape V6 4WD Limited.

I'd just like to know what "weak spots" to look for before I go out and look at a specific Escape and end up getting myself in a bad situation. Thanks for any advice I can get from you guys, and once I make a purchase, I'll be sure to share with you guys what I got!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
As a good starting point you should check out the Garage section, specifically the Problems and Solutions section. It should give you a good handle on what to look out for no matter what flavor of an Escape you choose to buy.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!!!

I'd go with a 2005-2007 Escape, if you can afford it and/or find a good one.

Starting with the 2005 model year, the front-end structure and engine mounts were improved, and the electrical system was completely redesigned. Also, the 4WD (technically, it's really AWD) system was redesigned to "sample" wheelspin at a much higher rate than the older system. It's so seamless that you'll never notice that it's working, and the 2005 model that I had worked really well in the winter.

The only minor complaint I've seen from a few 2005-2007 owners is early seat wear with the cloth seats.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
There are a few common things listed here, and you might want to go over the TSBs section before looking at a car to see if any of those issues are present.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=259

I think the biggest (most costly) issue is the transmission shudder.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
Welcome to the City!!!!

I think you would be very happy with the 05-07 Escape.

Happy hunting!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts