Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2009 escape, four cylinder, manual transmission. The base model to end all base models. I got a great deal on it, cheaper than I could have bought any of the other small SUVs currently for sale (except maybe the Patriot), so I have no business complaining about anything. It gets great gas mileage and was a great price.

That said, anyone else have a bunch of weird nitpicky issues? Here are my "I wish you'd fixed this or done this differently" items after having the car for just shy of 2,000 miles. None of these are trim-specific issues (like, I'm not complaining about not having a leather steering wheel, because they offer one and I bought the base model), just small engineering flaws and/or annoyances.

(1) The steps you have to go through so the computer can "re-learn" its idle when you disconnect the battery cable. I've had to do this like 4 times. As specified by the manual: start car, turn off all accessories, warm up to operating temperature, idle for one minute, turn on AC and idle for one minute, drive vehicle (possibly needs to be driven 10 miles) before shutting it off. Otherwise, the car can't figure out how to idle? Weak.

(2) The accelerator pedal "shudder" the first time you reach 43mph (and a lesser one at... is it 10mph? 18mph? i feel it but it's not as bad) after turning the car on, as the ABS system performs its self-test. What the heck? Who decided this was OK?

(3) The complete lack of any sound deadening at all in the rear cargo area. you can bang on the body of the vehicle back there and it sounds like an empty oil drum.

(4) The manual, when inside the nice little manual envelope thing from Ford, barely fits in the glove compartment, I basically have to fold it a bit and jam it in there. What the heck? No one thought this through? The nice center console is less valuable when I need to use it for things that I would normally put in the glove box, were the glove box reasonably sized.

(5) The kleenex holder thingy isn't properly sized for the kleenex boxes it was designed for. This is just dumb. I appreciate the neat idea, but a neat idea when poorly executed comes across like a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
(1) You don't have to go through idle-relearn if you know the battery will be unplugged later - not doing the procedure usually just means the car will take longer to learn how to idle. In some cases the programming gets confused if the parameters it wants doesn't come up for a long time, but I don't think it happens much.

(2) WHAT?! :doh:

(4) Hmm...I wonder if the manual got bigger or the glove box got smaller. My '03 manual fits in the glove box even with a leather pouch that came with it.

(5) When are you going to write Ford and demand a recall?

As for my own nitpicking, I wish the rearview mirror was mounted a bit higher. I have to pivot the joint closest to the window as far up as I can so that I can see pedestrians as I turn right. I wish the window lock button didn't turn off the driver's controls. I wish the horn sounded like a GM. Oh, and I wish my visor didn't have that elastic band sewn into it. Those always droop after 5-10 years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(1) i've had my battery disconnected 3-4 times over the course of a few weeks doing stereo install stuff, and there was a noticeable difference until i did the re-learn for the first time yesterday (hadn't seen it in the manual). It was a small difference, but noticeable. Maybe I'm anal, maybe I just like a smooth idle. Ha!

(2) this is from another board with a token Escape forum:
When i accelerate and go just over 40 mph (2008 Escape XLT), i hear a "squeak" and feel a slight shudder in the accelerator pedal, any ideas??
I have noticed some of the same in my 2009 XLT, 4x4. Right around 43 mph, just a slight vibration in gas peddle. It is barely noticeable and not loud at all, but I do notice/feel it just about every time at that speed.
I'll Add my name to this thread.. I have experienced the same shudder in the gas peddle on my new 09 Escape XLT 4WD.
My 2009 Tribute S-GT AWD also does this the first time I hit ~43-45 mph. I read on another forum that page 205 in the owners book explains this operation to be a normal part of the ESP programming.
We just bought a 2009 Escape and we have experienced the same shudder. I took it into the dealership and requested they look at it because it isn't a slight shudder it is quite obvious. They returned it to me not fixed with a "Special Services" printout which gives warnings and explaining what this was.

In short the message states that all 2008-2009 Escape/Mariner vehicles excluding the Hybrid may exhibit a slight vibration in the gas pedal at 12mph (20kmh) and/or 42 mph (70kmh) while the abs module initiates a self-test. It will initiate this self-test for every key on cycle and might occur after an ABS event. This is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. Engineering is investigating an improvement that may resolve this characteristic.

This message was effective Jan 16 2009.

Not sure about everyone else but I wasn't satisfied with this answer. Engineering is looking into it? Shouldn't they have looked into it before they sent the vehicles out? And my shudder is not slight at all!
I haven't personally looked in the manual for this, but I will so I can see if Ford addresses it and, if so, what they say.

(4) leather pouch? this one is, like, fabric. CHEAP! :D Maybe the manual and glove box are the same size and it's a matter of the pouch changing?

(5) I'm going to wait until I the car flips over at high speed and bursts into flames, that way when I prove that the kleenex holder had a causative effect I can seek the highest compensation amount

·
Super Moderator
4,759 Posts
When you order a stripped model I guess they really take the clothes off. I don't know about the Escapes. But a friend of mine ordered a basic Toyota ,don't recall the model, and it was just that. It had no carpet in the trunk, no sound deadening material in it at all. Perhaps on the XLS they use less sound deadening. I had a 2001 Escape XLS and it wasn't bad with interior noise at all.

I've never gone through a idle re-learn process with any vehicle I have owned.

My manual fits fine in the glove box, true, not much room for anything else.

You can get the right fitting tissue boxes at BJ's and Sams

I've had three Escapes and I really can't complain about anything in particular. About the only thing that comes to mind is why can't they figure a better way to attach the rear carpet?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weebee said:
Not if Ford tanks the holder design's depth by a 1/4" or so :D

I've had three Escapes and I really can't complain about anything in particular.
Are/were any of them from the 2008-2009 generation? It sounds like there is more general wierdness with these, although it could just be kinks that haven't been worked out of the new generation (starting 2008) and/or new drivetrain (starting 2009).

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
jbartlett79 said:
(5) I'm going to wait until I the car flips over at high speed and bursts into flames, that way when I prove that the kleenex holder had a causative effect I can seek the highest compensation amount
:lol: :hyst: Hopefully it never comes to that ;)

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Those are pretty justified gripes in my opinion.

The only one I could help you with is the cargo bay one: you could pull as many panels as possible and add Dynomat. This would be expensive (several hundred dollars worth of Dynomat) but worth it if you're going to keep the Escape for a while.

It looks like a good Escape though, the blue is sharp on the 3rd gen body and my hat is off to you on buying a manual! :kneel:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ajax said:
The only one I could help you with is the cargo bay one: you could pull as many panels as possible and add Dynomat.
I put about $30 of the generic stuff in (25 square feet or so) as part of my subwoofer install; see thread here.

The complaints in Consumer Reports about the Gen3 were "noise, fit and finish." But they had this complaint about nearly every car in the segment, except the Subaru Forester which looks like a cellphone or something, so it would be hard to complain too much when the Escape can be had very cheaply and only exhibits the same flaws as its competition.

Thanks for the good word on the vehicle; I wouldn't have bought the base model, but they only offer the manual transmission in the XLS for some reason and it's a whole lot easier to add sound deadening than it is to replace an automatic tranny!

:D

·
Super Moderator
4,759 Posts
jbartlett79 said:
weebee said:
Not if Ford tanks the holder design's depth by a 1/4" or so :D

I've had three Escapes and I really can't complain about anything in particular.
Are/were any of them from the 2008-2009 generation? It sounds like there is more general wierdness with these, although it could just be kinks that haven't been worked out of the new generation (starting 2008) and/or new drivetrain (starting 2009).
Good point. My current Escape is a 06. It does seem like the 08's and up have a few quirks.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
jester924 said:
I've noticed the pedal shudder on my '09 as well. It's an Automatic XLS, so it seems like the it is a common issue with 2.5L engine at the very least. Don't know about the V6 though.
08 Tribute iSport (base/XLS model) here, and no pedal shake.

It's quiet too! I don't have much to complain about. Let me think....

Nope, complaints I have none of the above or anything else for that matter. The Ford Dealer thinks I'm a PITA for the last two that I bought off them too! :shrug:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jonas1022 said:
whoa, really? that's the first definitive "no" i've heard on any messageboard for an 08 or 09 model.
now we just need to figure out what's different with yours, so i can do that with mine!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Okay, I just thought of a gripe.

I had to hang the garage door opener thing on the dash/glove box door. I don't like it in the console, or rattling about on the center console. :peace:

How's that? ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jonas1022 said:
hahahaha, now THAT is nitpicky.

don't most people put those on one of the sun visors? that's what we do with the Mazda3. I'd do that with my Escape
except our second garage door opener stopped working and I don't have any idea whatsoever how to get another one.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
jbartlett79 said:
jonas1022 said:
hahahaha, now THAT is nitpicky.

don't most people put those on one of the sun visors? that's what we do with the Mazda3. I'd do that with my Escape
except our second garage door opener stopped working and I don't have any idea whatsoever how to get another one.
I suppose most people do put them on the sunvisor. I hate it there, especially with my wife. She likes to flip the visor down and leave it down. I'm tall and like it up. So, no matter which of us drove it last :shrug: , the visor is flipped the wrong way. :yes: The other thing about her leaving the visor down and the door opener being there is that the sun eats it alive in the Texas sun and heat. That's the real issue.

I got a two door opener at Home Depot for $28. Two buttons, two combinations. But it's only good for the 8 dipswitch door opener. Most of the new styles start out at 16 pin, or they are electronically matched. Garage door companies should have them. Can't be too complicated, they couldn't figure them out either if they were.

·
Registered
20 Posts
jbartlett79 said:
jonas1022 said:
whoa, really? that's the first definitive "no" i've heard on any messageboard for an 08 or 09 model.
now we just need to figure out what's different with yours, so i can do that with mine!
I Would suspect that it is linked to the revamped engine in the '09s. I've only seen this problem mentioned in conjunction with the 09. Possibly it is something that Ford is specifically doing that Mazda isn't?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Haven't noticed a pedal vibration yet but only have 250 miles. It's very much neeeeeew! Debris blowing through the vents the first time we turned the vent wide open. I took it back and told them to check to make sure the cabin air filter was in. Dealer said the Escape doesn't have a cabin air filter.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
jonas1022 said:

I had to hang the garage door opener thing on the dash/glove box door. I don't like it in the console, or rattling about on the center console. :peace:

How's that? ;)
I used Velcro and stuck an opener below the gauge cluster, just to the left of the steering column. Out of the way, and my black-on-grey opener looks stock. The Velcro means I can take it out and put it in my pocket if I go out biking.

iBookmaster said:
Haven't noticed a pedal vibration yet but only have 250 miles. It's very much neeeeeew! Debris blowing through the vents the first time we turned the vent wide open. I took it back and told them to check to make sure the cabin air filter was in. Dealer said the Escape doesn't have a cabin air filter.
I gave you a couple of suggestions in that other post. I hope you don't start noticing a vibration now that we pointed it out - I know I've had a few things ruined by reading what other people disliked about them. :lol:

Maybe the ABS self-check is part of the specifications of the ABS supplier (BOSCH?). Our MDX will do an ABS self-check every time the car is started, but it does it while stationary. This could be a badly thought out evolution of that check.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.