Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my front brake pads and had the rotors turned at the same time on my 2003 Escape. The job went smooth...or so I thought. When I got it all back together, there is a noise in what sounds like the front left. I drove it, thinking that it would go away, maybe the pads needed a "break in period". After about 3 days of driving, I finally broke it all back down and took the pads back to O'reilly. I upgraded to the ceramic pads thinking the semi-metallics were giving me the noise. (The first replacements were semi-metallic.) I get home and put it all back together...same noise. :wall:

The noise almost sounds like a metal-to-metal noise that you get when your brake pads are about gone. It only happens when I casually brake, usually in a neighboorhood or coming to a stop at a light or something. If you do fast stops, there is no noise. The noise is not a constant, but almost rythemic when the brakes are applied. The faster I am going, the faster the noise is.

I've checked everything...caliper retaining spring, loose suspension (tie rods, etc.), dust shields, I even bought a brand new rotor and stuck in on the left side. I'm all out of ideas. I need some help on what this :censor: sound could be! It only happened after I changed my front pads/rotors turned. So I'm thinking whatever it is, I did it...and it's got to do with the brakes.

Does anyone have an exploded view of ALL the parts on the front caliper/brake assembly? Are there indicators on the front pads? I don't recall seeing any.

PLEASE help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you bleed the brake line before the change out?
Use a can of brake free to clear the dust.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Two things come to mind from previous experience. Having just recently replaced my rotors (not the pads) I noticed a semi quiet metallic noise coming from the brakes. Being a mechanic in the past and dealing with this before, it was just the brakes and rotors contacting each other. After 3,000 miles across country, I no longer hear them. Could very well be they need to be broken in. A second thing would be that it could have to do with how the rotors were turned. At slow speed, it creates a smooth cut (how it should be). At a fast speed, it tends to give it a rough cut, sometimes resulting in vibrations when braking (exactly what you're trying to get rid of in the first place) and noise from the brakes. So my question would be, how loud is this noise and is there any vibration associated with it? It took more than 3 days for mine to stop making noise, but I ignored it after a while.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theres no vibrations at all. The noise cannot be heard with the radio on. It's not loud by any means. Simply sounds like a metal to metal sound.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I just got new brakes on my '02 about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I have the same noise. I also think I feel it slightly in the brake pedal. It's not much. Sometimes I don't even notice it. I also figured it needs needs a brake-in period. It's been about 600 miles since I had them changed. I was thinking of bringing it back to Midas to ask them about it if I can find the time...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Three things come to mind. One is that the rotor was machined with too fast of a feed, causing a "thread" or "screw" effect. That cause the pad to lift then retract as it tries to follow the thread. You eliminated this when you tried a new rotor.

The second is lack of lubrication. It is critical to clean and lubricate the caliper slide pins when replacing the pads. Proper lubrication is often what separates a poor brake job from a great brake job. If the caliper slide pins are binding it can create a sound that is similar to a playing card in bicycle spokes. The level of noise can vary from slight to much.

You need some disc brake caliper grease. Disassemble the brakes again. Remove the caliper slide pins. Clean them. Sometimes they need to be scrubbed or even sanded. If they are really bad it is best to replace them. Lubricate them freely with the disc brake caliper grease. Clean the caliper slides with a wire brush. Lubricate them, but not too heavily. Now lubricate the pad backing plate at every point it contacts the caliper (again, not too heavily). Reassemble and road test.

Sometimes there is some noise from the interface between the rotor and the hub. It is a good idea to apply some anti-seize to those surfaces. You don't need much. It will also make it much easier to remove the rotors next time.

My bet is that it is the caliper slide pins.

Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I've tried lubing/greasing the pins, back of caliper pads. I've thoroughly cleaned the entire caliper assembly and interconnecting parts. Still....the noise is prevelant. I've ran out of ideas. Time for a free brake inspection at Meineke?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would say that your next step would be a visit with and road test with a mechanic, not a service advisor.

As light as the sound is, it could be normal. The expert that road tests it with you should hear the noise you are after and understand what you have already done.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I get a light hissing or scraping noise from my front brakes too. I can sometimes hear it more turning one way or the other, low speeds. I think some pad compounds and the new tight clearances will transmit a bit more noise than others. I'd bet everything will be ok, but still a good idea to get a second or third opinion from a trusted source.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts