Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Ford Escape 2008, V6, FWD, 26,000 miles. Sometimes when I'm going uphill at low speeds I can hear a noise that sounds like marbles in a can. This is an occasional occurrence, does not happen every time I drive. No indicator warning lights. If I change to neutral or remove my foot from the accelerator, the noise stops.

I did a search on the web and found that this could be "Engine knock" and one of the recommendations is to use a higher grade fuel. Currently I use Shell 87 (as indicated in the User Manual). Should I try 89 or 91? Is it recommended for the Escape 2008?

Do you think this could be a different problem?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It could be a transmission problem since you hear the noise while in gear and not in neutral. Tranny problems are not uncommon for 2008 escapes...there are a few TSBs about the transmission in the 2008 escapes and they are posted in the TSB section on escape city. It could be the engine knock but its rare because duratecs have a knock sensor on them that corrects it but i am not sure if it would toss a code if that sensor went out. Go ahead and put midgrade or premium in it but i really dont think the octane is the problem, unless the gas had lots of debris, water, etc in it.

Have the tires been properly balanced?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
It's engine spark knock, without a doubt. My 2005 Escape with the same powertrain (but with AWD) did the same thing (very light knocking only under load) on one brand of gasoline, but not on most others, so I just avoided that brand and never had the problem again. I didn't even need higher octane. While there is a knock sensor, light spark knock is considered "normal". I could only hear it with the windows closed and the audio system off.

Try another brand and see if you have the knock again. I seriously doubt that it's the transmission. And if it continues, you should still be inside the 3/36 warranty.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Your vehicle has an auto transmission, right?
If the answer is yes, fuel is not the problem.Assuming that all the oil levels are right take it to the dealer while it still is under the warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for your answers. I decided to take my escape to the dealer and it turns out that the problem was carbon buildup in engine. They removed this and the noise disappeared. I even feel that acceleration is much better now.

Thanks again! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Translation: it was spark knock.

:D

Glad it's fixed!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Thank you for posting the outcome of your problem.
Did the dealer give any reason for the carbon build-up at 2008 engine with 20000miles?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

The dealer told me that this was 'normal' and that there is nothing todo to prevent it.

Cheers,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts