Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Pre-Owned Certified 2007 Limited ESCAPE 3.0 Liter etc. Problems with noisy Continental tires which I know have been problematic with this SUV. Thinking of switching tires to Yokohama brand. I'm hoping that this will quite ride and enhance road handle. Any suggestions for this vehicle that seems rather noisy and a bit stiff on the steering wheel? Thanks for any suggestions : )

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Hi and welcome to the City !! :)

I'm sure that these guys will be able to come up with plenty of suggestions for you. :thumb:

I went ahead and deleted your other thread since it was a duplicate of this one.

Thank you for joining us !! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Colleen. I'm a very newbie to the blog thing, so I appreciate you comments and help.

Bill

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
You're welcome and it won't take ya long to get the hang of things. :)

You're gonna love it here !! :beer: Feels like a second home !! :D

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Are you switching over from a GM by chance?

Pretty much anything that's not a budget tire will be better than the stock Continentals. If you want a quiet ride with a slight performance edge, look for something marketed as a "Touring" tire. You might look at A/T tires because "it's a truck", but pick the wrong one and you'll sound like a semi on the highway.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello minijimi and :welcome: I have a set of cooper all terrains. They are noisier than conventional highway tires. When a big 4x4 Toyota or a Nissan 4x4 with full on mud tires drive past me, the road noise is very loud. Sometimes, i miss the original highway tires for quietness.

I suppose there is allways a compromise somewhere. Yes, it is not easy trying to find that nice balance. Not sure, but i think there are ' continental ' brand tires down under. The sightings on cars are rare, as i imagine people are giving them a wide berth. :roll: The all terrains are reasonable but there is a certain level of road noise.

The sales rep commented on tire noise. I tolerate the ' Cooper' road noise, because of the other benefits. Just love ,their handling competence on soaking wet sealed roads. :)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Go to the Tire Rack and look at the reviews of all tires for your size. Reviews include noise, ride quality, wet and dry traction and braking, ...

http://www.tirerack.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, for taking time to consider my questions. I will try to contribute myself when I can.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
157 Posts
minijimi said:
Problems with noisy Continental tires which I know have been problematic with this SUV. Thinking of switching tires to Yokohama brand.
Yep, the Contis are crap. While not Yokohamas nor exactly cheap I have been pretty happy with the Goodyear Fortera Triple Treds.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
A couple of members have switched to the Firestone A/T tires and so far so good. I just got a set of Kelly-Springfields on my F-150 that are quieter than anything else I have come across for a truck/SUV. I don't know that the Road Huggers come in anything but 15 inch wheels though, which is what the truck has on it. The Contis are noisy on our Tribbie by comparision, but so far they are wearing well. Maybe you could look into having yours shaved to cut the tread noise from them wearing in one way. They do wear in and need to be rotated every 4-5K miles for wear and noise purposes.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I will swear up and down on the Firestone Destination A/T's...just bought these last month. They are super quiet, have excellent traction in all weather...especially 12.5" of snow which we just had! I couldn't ask for a better tire! Oh and they are the cheapest AT tires you can buy!

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I put street sport truck tires on my Escape, General Grabber UHPs. I thought that General were a crappy brand but, after doing some research, found they were rated just below Goodyear Fortera Triple-Treads on Tire Rack. They aren't supposed to be a high mileage tire though, so that is something to consider. Very good in the rain though!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I switched from the Stock Conti's to Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's, and so far, no regrets (other than they are louder/noisy on the highway when they are cold).

:welcome:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts