Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im very new(today) to this forum... i have searched and found no answer to my questions. My wife drives an 02 escape xls 3.0 4x4 with 150k on it, it has a fresh tune up, fuel filter, clean k&n,new tranny, shocks, struts, strut mounts, and 09 escape 17s. Ok so here is the issue she is getting 15 mpg in the city and on the highway. I have a good friend who is a reputable and very good tuner he has tuned the pcm for 87 oct and fuel milage,turned off all the dpfe, egr, evap, rear o2s, and changed the duty cycle slightly on the front o2 heater tohelp the problem with no change in mileage with her driving or mine. I am a very capable mechanic and work on my own cars and crew chief for an NHRA / IHRA top sportsman and top dragster team ...But im at a loss any help would be greatly appreciated. If i cant get better mileage im selling and really dont want to the wife likes it alot.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
When did you get your MPG readings, before or after the tune?

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I viewed... no idea why your mileage wouldn't improve on the highway. My city MPG is regularly in the 14-16 MPGs so I don't think you will do much better there. I can get 20-21 with all highway. That's driving a consistent 55-65 mph and never flooring the throttle. If I do 70+ or drive aggressively at all, my MPGs will go down to 19. My average over the last 4 months has been 16.69 with a low of 14.21 and a high of 21.62 (only over 20 twice)... From my P.O.V. your MPG's aren't that much worse than mine and I'm not sure there is much you can do to improve it. Some Escapes are just thirstier that others...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got my readings from before and after the tune...and i have never got over 15 mpg o matter what i even took the Escape from her for a week to check it myself and no driving over 65 at all and i drive 20+ miles all interstate one way. I guess ill buy an import suv my brothers 2011 sorrento gets 28mpg in town.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to let you know i dont think anyone is gonna take offense to the fact that your saying your going to buy a different vehicle. I dont feel bad for you.. Why dont you try having a mechanic look into it? Have you done the basics such as tire pressure and tire type? They can all make a difference.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'll take a stab at it. I don't want you buying a Kia after putting all that money into your Escape.
You mentioned that you put on 19" wheels.
Your 2002 Escape either came with 15" or 16" wheels. In putting the 19" wheels on, are you running the same outside diameter that the older wheel/tire combo used? If not, then your speedo will be off as well as your odometer, and hence giving you inaccurate MPG readings.

Besides the basics, do you think there is any other drag on your car. You replaced the trans, did you change out the rear gear lube recently or at all? Bearings making noise?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry I also viewed but didn't really have any good suggestions for you. I didn't want to send you on a wild goose chase

·
Registered
168 Posts
LX302 said:
I'll take a stab at it. I don't want you buying a Kia after putting all that money into your Escape.
You mentioned that you put on 19" wheels.
Actually he mentioned that he put on 17s.. even so, depending on the tyre size fitted it still might make a small difference.

My mileage varies a lot depending on a number of variables. The main one is obviously how I drive, but others are related to things such as if I have the roof rack and basket fitted or not, how much weight I'm carrying, my tyre pressures.... etc. etc. I'm at work right now and not up to doing the conversions from litres per 100kms to Miles per (US) Gallon. Suffice to say that when carrying no extra weight and driving judiciously..I'm pretty happy with the mileage. On the other hand, if I drive with a heavy right foot and carry a bit more gear than usual..then the mileage skyrockets into V8 territory.

Sorry I can't offer more than that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't know if this is applicable in your situation or if it'll help the mpg, but does your pcm need to be reset for the new transmission?

The 2002 XLS 4x4 should have come stock w 15" wheels. If the 17" tires are larger than the stock tires, then the computed fuel economy can be off by as much as 2.0 mpg, since the actual miles driven are higher than recorded by the odometer. 17/15=1.13. If the tire ratio is about the same, then the actual miles driven will be off by ~10-13%. As an example, 221 actual miles may read only 200 miles on the odometer. If 13 gals were used to refill the tank, the actual fuel economy would be ~17 mpg, but the computed mpg from using the odo would only be ~15.3.

To check your odometer drive a stretch of highway from one mile marker to the next: it should take 60 seconds to drive one mile at 60 mph.
(use the trip odometer for more accuracy, since it shows tenths of a mile).

A lead foot & the brake pedal waste fuel.
Jackrabbit starts, tail gating & following too closely, and regularly accelerating unnecessarily, such as when approaching a stop sign or stop light, can lower the fuel economy by 0.5-1.0 mpg. Low tire pressure impacts the fuel economy by a similar amount.

Folks often times sarcastically ask why a vehicle w an automatic transmission has a tachometer. Well, it isn't there for window dressing.
When the car is driven, the tachometer can be used to improve the fuel economy: the more rpms yer turnin, the more fuel yer burnin.
So, knowing the shift points of the transmission & driving the car by maintaining the speed in the low end of a particular gear should improve the mpg.
My Escape has a 5-spd manual transmission, so I'm accustomed to using the tachometer. When I drive my wife's Honda Element w automatic transmission, I use the tachometer to monitor the speed. Doing so should improve the fuel economy. Driving the posted speed limits & sometimes a little below or a little above yield better fuel economy.

I've read here n there that the roof rack can lower the fuel economy by 1-2%.

Doing some of the stuff above will not only improve the mpg, but it should also extend the life of the engine & transmission.

·
Registered
420 Posts
my 05 v6 4x4 gets 16 mpg around town and have seen 22 on the highway. the mpg computer usally shows 1-3 mpg lower than what i actually get when i calculate it at fill-ups. i too was suprised at the low city milage and had hoped for 20 city and even better highway mpg, but overall im happy with the vehicle and am willing to buy the extra fuel, the escape sure payed off this past winter when i could go thru almost any snow drift effortlessly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks to all who replied. I got the tune after the tranny and wheels/tires. My tune is for the tire size i have i always check the tire presure as my wife drives this thing with my son also $180 a tire for Michelins is crazy so i dont wanna have to replace them anytime soon. i have wondered about the cats and the muffler im considering gutting the cats and gettin a new muffler but want it QUIET for the wife. I am upset mainly because my 94 Bmw 740il which weighs like 5k gets 24mpg hwy, and my 2000 ss camaro with the ac on and my being abusive gets around 20mpg mixed driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
clean your MAS AIR FLOW I had the same problem, Now each time I change my oil I clean it with a MAF cleaner and it seems to help a lot however you should have every thing that your friend turned off to turn it on again. if you have a CE light you might look in that and see what is't and I will be happy to help cuz I was hunting down the same problem for the last 2 months and I think I got it figured out :wave: :box: :box:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I bought a 2002 XLT with 90,000 miles and was experiencing gas mileage about the same as you are. First things were new plugs, air and gas filters, cleaning MAF sensor and running some Marvel Mystery Oil through the gas. My CEL came on and I had to replace the rear CAT... I was also getting a bad hesitation off of idle and miss at idle. With all the tune up and new CAT, I am now getting 18 city/23 highway @ constant 70mph w/cruise control and air conditioning on. I get the feeling these engines are very sensitive to tuning and it seems that when I make changes disconnecting the battery and doing a re-learning cycle helps. Hope someone with more knowledge chimes in on this as I'm just guessing and going by a seat of the pants feeling. I recently replaced my Contitracs with a set of Kuhmo KR21's and I believe I picked up a little MPG with that change, but have not checked mileage since. Anyway thats my experience... :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts